Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default Should Marvel (and DC) been able to use the Amalgam characters and stories?

For the record I love the Amalgam comic they were written well, I think both companies should be able to use them but what would be the pros and cons of this?
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I mean the con is that most of them would just be redundant. Dark Claw is just Another Wolverine

Pro - Fun for Secret War type stories
    Con - Confusing for new readers as to why an alternate character is change with specific changes

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I mean the con is that most of them would just be redundant. Dark Claw is just Another Wolverine
    Well, obviously. He is an amalgamation of Wolverine and Batman after all. His sidekick Sparrow is Jubilee + Tim Drake.

Amalgam can never be used again anyway unless Disney or Warner sell their comics to the other company. They'll never team up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't see much need to use the amalgamated characters like Dark Claw or Super Soldier. They were fun for a gimmick but as a long-term thing? Why should Marvel deal with DC to use Super Soldier, when they could just introduce a new "Golden Age" version of Hyperion and get the same basic result, yknow?

But I think there could be potential in a DC-Marvel crossover team title. Use Access as the main PoV character and do a riff on the Exiles with a roster pulled from both companies. Split the costs and profits down the middle and see what happens. I imagine it'd be much more profitable (and fun) to have Batman and Logan in a book together, than it'd be to use Dark Claw....and still have to share the spoils.

Use Access as the main PoV character and you've got a little multiversal JLAvengers title that will basically sell itself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

I wish that DC and Marvel would do a set of Amalgam comics every ten years or so. I'd love to see what amalgams would be made today.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCoyote View Post
    I wish that DC and Marvel would do a set of Amalgam comics every ten years or so. I'd love to see what amalgams would be made today.
    Indeed. Along with bringing back some old favorites (XD)

Wow, a lot of Amalgams on that spread! It looks like a lot of them are combined with characters who aren't even from Marvel's futures, let alone 2099 specifically. I see some X-Men in there (Triplicate Girl is combined with Multiple Man (retaining her then-current name Myriad in the second version, though the first one alludes to the Marvel character's name), Phantom Girl with Kitty Pryde, Saturn Girl with Psylocke), and Fantastic Four (Fantastic Lad and Invisible Girl, the latter actually using Sue Storm's original codename). Chameleon shares his name with a Spider-Man villain, but since the second version has the standard X-Men uniform, I assume Chameleon Boy was actually merged with Morph/Changeling. Bouncing Ball is a combination of Bouncing Boy and Speedball from the New Warriors.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It would make it so that both companies could profit from them instead of just leaving them on the shelf, but they'll never do that, so we probably just have to wait until they become public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wow, a lot of Amalgams on that spread! It looks like a lot of them are combined with characters who aren't even from Marvel's futures, let alone 2099 specifically. I see some X-Men in there (Triplicate Girl is combined with Multiple Man (retaining her then-current name Myriad in the second version, though the first one alludes to the Marvel character's name), Phantom Girl with Kitty Pryde, Saturn Girl with Psylocke), and Fantastic Four (Fantastic Lad and Invisible Girl, the latter actually using Sue Storm's original codename). Chameleon shares his name with a Spider-Man villain, but since the second version has the standard X-Men uniform, I assume Chameleon Boy was actually merged with Morph/Changeling. Bouncing Ball is a combination of Bouncing Boy and Speedball from the New Warriors.
    Yeah, that's a LONG list O_o' some are obvious but some make me scratch my head... Martinex 5 - Brainiac 5 +???

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Along with bringing back some old favorites (XD)

This gorgeous Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez art (and I have the issue) brings to mind this old CBR article by Doctor Strangefate writer Ron Marz about how he experienced stage fright teaming up with the legendary artist.

https://www.cbr.com/suffering-throug...r-strangefate/
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, that's a LONG list O_o' some are obvious but some make me scratch my head... Martinex 5 - Brainiac 5 +???
    Martinex is a member of the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...eroes_Vol_1_18

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCoyote View Post
    Love to see Dr. Strangefate & Dark Claw again
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I wouldn’t say Dark Claw is just another Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Martinex is a member of the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...eroes_Vol_1_18
    ah right, and so is Vance Astro. And now my brain goes yes, but.... Vance Cosmic = ??? +Vance Astro....

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I wouldn’t say Dark Claw is just another Wolverine
    Right... he's an even more messed up Wolverine.