Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    He showed iirc also up in Titans, had a team up with Dick that iirc ran over several issue of Show Case and was Dick's Robin, when Dick filled in as Batman after Knight Fall.
    Yes! Now that you mention it, also Gotham Knights, and basically every other spin off series existing at that time where it's reasonable for him to show up. Basically, the development from stranger to family is shown

Of course Duke faces the problem of too many Batfam, not being Robin, and that there's already two Robins running around at the same time.

Missed opportunity not placing him in Detective Comics by Tynion because that's where most of the family moments actually happen, but both Detective and All Star started at the same time and they had the arrangement that Duke will be trained by Bruce, which also makes sense from the previous story set up, but with King later focusing on Catwoman, it becomes an unfortunate situation.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-01-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    At this point he should be considered as part of the family. But it makes absolutely no sense for them to complain about Duke not being in a freaking Nightwing cover.
    I mean really what is the last time Dick and Duke had any kind of interaction that went above being in the same panel?

By Gabriel Larragán:

20220701_130442.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I mean really what is the last time Dick and Duke had any kind of interaction that went above being in the same panel?
    The last thing i remember was that scene in Tom King's run with all of them talking about Bane in a fast food restaurant.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I think with Duke they simply never really did the work of building up his relations with the rest of the Batfamily. When Tom King wrote him just like a brother of the other Robins, it just didn't felt earned because there wasn't really any build up to it.

I mean had a couple of panels of interaction with Dick and Damian in Robin War (and that actually happend before Bruce stared to Train him), and the short anthology story with Jason (where I'm not even 100% sure that the stories in that anthology really count as canon), and that's kind of it. That just doesn't compare to the the relations between the other Batfamily members, where they did much more to establish them.

The only Batfamily members where had desent amount of interaction with in panel, are Bruce and Cass. But Duke never really felt as close to Bruce as the others, and he also doesn't feel as close to Cass as Steph, Barbara and Tim.

Cass also has kind of the problem, that she doesn't have much of an established relation with Dick, Jason and Damian and hasn't really written to be that close to Tim and Bruce either since flashpoint. And feels currently more like a character more connected to Barbara than to the core Batfamily.
    Cass helped Dick solve an issue with Deathstroke, they worked together with everyone who thought Bruce was a murderer. After Infinite Crisis, where everyone at DC was worse off than before, they face off in Outsiders, but make up, and work together on Batman Gates of Gotham. After the New 52, ​​Batman and Robin Eternal was practically a Dick and Cass comic book.
    And Cass' base before DC blew it all up was Bludhaven.
    The character that I find strange to be on the cover is Jason, who has already tried to kill off half the characters on the cover, and I think the way he's treated in Batfam is forced these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Cass helped Dick solve an issue with Deathstroke, they worked together with everyone who thought Bruce was a murderer. After Infinite Crisis, where everyone at DC was worse off than before, they face off in Outsiders, but make up, and work together on Batman Gates of Gotham. After the New 52, ​​Batman and Robin Eternal was practically a Dick and Cass comic book.
    And Cass' base before DC blew it all up was Bludhaven.
    The character that I find strange to be on the cover is Jason, who has already tried to kill off half the characters on the cover, and I think the way he's treated in Batfam is forced these days.
    Love it or hate it, I think the official stance is Jason is an official part of the family and one of Dick's brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Love it or hate it, I think the official stance is Jason is an official part of the family and one of Dick's brothers.
    Yeah. Ever since the new 52 he became part of the Batfamily as an ally, he is usually part of the crossovers and appears in most of the batevents. I don't see how this can even be disputed.
    The Jason who used to try to kill them is long gone by now.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Cass helped Dick solve an issue with Deathstroke, they worked together with everyone who thought Bruce was a murderer. After Infinite Crisis, where everyone at DC was worse off than before, they face off in Outsiders, but make up, and work together on Batman Gates of Gotham.
    They have been in the same stories and have worked on the same cases, but they never really hang out together like Dick with Tim, or Cass with Steph.

Cass imo never really had a sibling like relationship with Dick, Jason or Damian.

After the New 52, ​​Batman and Robin Eternal was practically a Dick and Cass comic book.
    And the character Cass was closest to in that book where iirc Steph and Harper. I mean was there really much interaction between the two in that book.

At this point the "post flashpoint Cass" has a closer relationship with Clayface than with Dick, Jason, Tim or Damian.

Bluebird

They have been in the same stories and have worked on the same cases, but they never really hang out together like Dick with Tim, or Cass with Steph.

Cass imo never really had a sibling like relationship with Dick, Jason or Damian.

And the character Cass was closest to in that book where iirc Steph and Harper. I mean was there really much interaction between the two in that book.

At this point the "post flashpoint Cass" has a closer relationship with Clayface than with Dick, Jason, Tim or Damian.
    B&R Eternal's defacto main characters were essentially Cass and Harper, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    B&R Eternal's defacto main characters were essentially Cass and Harper, imo.
    Which I remember people complaining about because it was supposed to be celebrating Robin.

Extraordinary Member

I just flipped through B&RE to refresh my memory, there seems to plenty of interaction between Harper and Cass, and plenty of interaction between Harper and Dick, but basically no interaction between Cass and Dick (or any other core Batfamily member). Even if the three are in the same story arc for a good part of the series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    At this point he should be considered as part of the family. But it makes absolutely no sense for them to complain about Duke not being in a freaking Nightwing cover.
    The context of the complaints isn't about Duke not being on a Nightwing cover.

It's about Duke not being included, and implicitly not even considered, on a Nightwing cover that specifically features others in the Batfamily who were included and considered.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

It's about Duke not being included, and implicitly not even considered, on a Nightwing cover that specifically features others in the Batfamily who were included and considered.
    The cover featured batfamily members who recently appeared in the Nightwing run, as well as Damian, who's probably one of the closest characters to Dick.
    Dick and Duke were never close and almost never interacted, so it makes sense he wasn't included there. Helena or Kate would make more sense being on that cover than Duke.
    Last edited by Lal; 07-03-2022 at 03:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Helena or Kate would make more sense being on that cover than Duke.
    Kate and Dick have also not much interaction.
    I you would go by who is closest to Dick, Helena should have been on the cover over Steph and Cass.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

Yes but even if they take out the dog there still won't be a space for Duke because Cass will be in it