Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Amazons of Bana-Mighdall Appreciation Thread 2022

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-24-2022 at 07:18 PM.

In current continuity, how do the Bana Migdall.....uhhh...maintain their numbers?

IIRC, in pre Nu52 continuity they used men like cattle to breed didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In current continuity, how do the Bana Migdall.....uhhh...maintain their numbers?

IIRC, in pre Nu52 continuity they used men like cattle to breed didn't they?
    We see them recruiting average day women in one of the backups.

The Bana's Gods.

I hope Anahid is still in continuity as a former Queen of the Bana

Precursor to the Bana and OG Atalannta

I forgot we had this thread. Feels like it should be more relevant with all the recent stuffs.

Stuff like this is exactly what is missing right now. Do the Bana bend the knee to the Greeks now?

As much as I enjoy Perez's run, a whole tribe of mostly brown/black Middle Eastern women being presented as the barbaric Amazons doesn't sit well. I much prefer their modern incarnation. That said, I agree that it feels like Rebirth is missing the 'spark' that Post Crisis and the Marston years had but I can't quite put my finger on what. That is a certain grandiose element that feels missing these days even if certain WW books have been hitting the mark and otherwise getting stuff right.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

As much as I enjoy Perez's run, a whole tribe of mostly brown/black Middle Eastern women being presented as the barbaric Amazons doesn't sit well. I much prefer their modern incarnation. That said, I agree that it feels like Rebirth is missing the 'spark' that Post Crisis and the Marston years had but I can't quite put my finger on what. That is a certain grandiose element that feels missing these days even if certain WW books have been hitting the mark and otherwise getting stuff right.
    The problem lies with your first sentence. They're not allowed to be as bad as before for fear of how things will look so there's not as much conflict and contrast with the Themyscirans. The final straw was probably how the Bana were unfairly blamed for Amazons Attack and that made readers take notice of their mistreatment. The Bana are much kinder and gentler since Rebirth and the major Themyscirans have gotten darker.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The problem lies with your first sentence. They're not allowed to be as bad as before for fear of how things will look so there's not as much conflict and contrast with the Themyscirans. The final straw was probably how the Bana were unfairly blamed for Amazons Attack and that made readers take notice of their mistreatment. The Bana are much kinder and gentler since Rebirth and the major Themyscirans have gotten darker.
    You don't need to make one tribe worse than the other for conflict or even contrast since both will have different cultures and aesthetics. Scott Lobdell also wrote the Bana in a pretty stereotypical way in Red Hood and The Outlaws. He even made Akila a villain when she wasn't one before and got rid of her engineering skills and pacifism.

Maybe because there was a lot of build-up to them?

In Rebirth they didn’t even first appear in a Wonder Woman book
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-21-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~