Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Swamp Thing Futures End #1 Preview

Jesus Saiz returns on art duties after a bit of a break for this story set 5 years in the future. We'll be introduced to the Metal and Bacteria avatars as well as see where the Green, Red, and Gray are. Should be fun and as always look great!

The Avatars of the Green, Red and Gray go to war with the avatars of Bacteria and Metal! It's five years later, and Alec Holland is trying to mediate a ceasefire that could also be his last stab at reconnecting with humanity!
    Preview

The Divided Kingdom?

I am so ready for Swamp Thing this month!

I do like how Swamp Thing's arm is replaced by the avatar of the Grey, then how she slivers off and forms her own avatar body again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    The Divided Kingdom?

I am so ready for Swamp Thing this month!

I do like how Swamp Thing's arm is replaced by the avatar of the Grey, then how she slivers off and forms her own avatar body again.
    Actually I don't think that Alec's arm is the avatar of the Grey. Its certainly different from the other more muscular arm, but still wood of some kind. When Alec sliced one of the copies the Avatar of the Grey came out of her. Their is something with Alec that's speaking to him (maybe Brother Jonah?) and depends on who they mean by her. Abby? Capucine? Or someone else? I'm also curious as why Alec is using a sword.

Astonishing Member

judging by the voice box, i think that might be the machine avatar from the end of wolf and lady?

All-New Member

This may sound like it came out of left field, but is it possible that the mysterious voice is the previous avatar who was a plant made to think he was Alec (from ST Annual 2)? They appear to have similar voice boxes and the “her” may be referring to Abby. Correct me if I’m wrong though, as my knowledge of ST only comes from Soule’s run and I haven’t read Moore’s stuff yet.
    Second theory, the voice is the bacteria avatar. They’d likely be microscopic and thus not visible.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Moviegoer View Post
    This may sound like it came out of left field, but is it possible that the mysterious voice is the previous avatar who was a plant made to think he was Alec (from ST Annual 2)? They appear to have similar voice boxes and the “her” may be referring to Abby. Correct me if I’m wrong though, as my knowledge of ST only comes from Soule’s run and I haven’t read Moore’s stuff yet.
    Second theory, the voice is the bacteria avatar. They’d likely be microscopic and thus not visible.
    You might be on to something. Comparing voice boxes, the one in the preview matches the blue Swamp Thing from the second annual. So the "her" certainly can refer to Abby, but if it is it implies something happened to her and maybe she isn't the Avatar of the Rot anymore. Towards the end of the preview, Alec looks to be heading to the Red and suggests things will be more difficult which seems to imply that Maxine may no longer be the Avatar of the Red so it should be interesting to see who these new Avatars will be.

I was thinking Bacteria at first too, but it wouldn't make sense if Alec is visiting all the kingdoms.

This looks fantastic! Soule's run on this book has been so enjoyable. I haven't been disappointed with a single issue.

If Maxine isn't the Red Avatar maybe Buddy was granted the role 5 years from now. It would be cool to see another Swamp Thing and Animal Man team up.

BANNED

Charles Soule's run is so awesome.

Why would metal get an Avatar? Is there any "life" connected to metal (beyond maybe rust)?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why would metal get an Avatar? Is there any "life" connected to metal (beyond maybe rust)?
    The same way there was an avatar of Water, Air, Stone and Fire previously.

Do these future's end #1s replace their respected monthlies counterparts?

Quote Originally Posted by Drucifer View Post
    Do these future's end #1s replace their respected monthlies counterparts?
    You're new to this stuff, aren't you?

Ever since DC launched The New 52 back in September 2011, every following September has been sort of a "gimmick month" for DC.

In September 2012, all titles had a #0 month, where they interrupted any ongoing storylines to tell some story about the character's past.

In September 2013, it was "Villains Month", where all regular story lines were interrupted and they had special issues spotlighting villains. Some titles didn't even get a Villains Month issue, while some Villains Month issues that seemed to be geared to a lesser title were instead packaged under a better-selling-but-still-related-title.

This year, almost all regular titles are being interrupted and they're being replaced by a special issue that links with the Futures End weekly series, though there are a few exceptions.

I am only this year getting into DC, yes.
    Thanks.
    I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This looks fantastic! Soule's run on this book has been so enjoyable. I haven't been disappointed with a single issue.

If Maxine isn't the Red Avatar maybe Buddy was granted the role 5 years from now. It would be cool to see another Swamp Thing and Animal Man team up.
    At the end of Animal Man series Buddy made a deal with new Totems - he is their avatar while Maxime and all his family are to be left alone "No more powers, no more training. She will not be the next avatar." If Buddy dies then they find someone not named Baker to be their next avatar.

We saw Buddy being alive during GA's funeral so he still should be their avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    At the end of Animal Man series Buddy made a deal with new Totems - he is their avatar while Maxime and all his family are to be left alone "No more powers, no more training. She will not be the next avatar." If Buddy dies then they find someone not named Baker to be their next avatar.

We saw Buddy being alive during GA's funeral so he still should be their avatar.
    Ok good to know. I dropped Animal Man after Rot World so there are obviously things I don't know. Just got so pissed when his son died. I'll probably pick up the final tpb eventually.

Anywho I hope Buddy joins the fight in this issue.