Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Superman & Robin Special #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Oh, how I missed this and is pretty clear that Peter Tomasi did too.

Super Sons was probably one of the best books out there when it was being released. Tomasi gave both Damian and especially Jon an engaging personality along with an entertaining and charming friendship, nobody has nailed the dynamic between these two like Tomasi did and it seems like he's very aware of that because of how this story starts right away.

The chapter opens with Jon missing the simpler times when he was a kid and I'm pretty sure that Tomasi speaks for all of us here. The fact that he's addressing how things were better when Jon was a kid before the abrupt aging he suffered makes you realize that he wants to write stories about Kid Jon once again (and is probably waiting for this whole grown up era to stop already), but he doesn't leave things there since he actually explores how this affected both Jon and his parents and gets solid character work from it.

The best part starts once Damian arrives obviously and I was also missing Tomasi handling the character. Damian here is just fun, constantly teasing Jon and taking himself too seriously in a childish kind of way and well, that's Damian all right. The interactions between the two as written by Tomasi are enjoyable as ever despite of all the issues that happened between the two since then.

The plot is mostly an excuse to get these two back together but it still presents good moments like the protagonists understanding a monster who is destroying the Fortress of Solitude or simply fighting Natzis which is always entertaining to watch.

Viktor Bogdanovic's artwork is always pleasent to see. His style reminiscent of Greg Capullo's is beautiful as ever with expressive characters and following the story perfectly.

Good read, hope to see Kid Jon once again.

Reposting my thoughts from preview thread:

This issue had very strong "REMEMBER WHEN I WAS WRITING SUPERMAN??????" vibes.

That being said it was enjoyable issue, much better than Adventures or Challenges were. Tomasi's idea that they'll remain friends regardless of their age because nobody else gets them works in "his" continuity, but loses impact considering that Williamson and Taylor are trying to give them bunch of new friends in their respective titles. That being said I'm ok with Taylor's and Williamson's runs being out of "my" continuity.

I didn’t really see it as they’ll only be each other’s friends but affirming that they are best friends, the ones who will really be supportive of each other in tough times.

I had fun, it was just a nice fun read with cool moments and honestly that’s what I like from my comics. Wish it was cheaper tough.

Oh and always appreciate that Damian isn’t drawn too short. Jon can and should be taller then him no matter what but that doesn’t mean Damian should be a munchkin, he’s like 15 after all.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Reposting my thoughts from preview thread:

This issue had very strong "REMEMBER WHEN I WAS WRITING SUPERMAN??????" vibes.

That being said it was enjoyable issue, much better than Adventures or Challenges were. Tomasi's idea that they'll remain friends regardless of their age because nobody else gets them works in "his" continuity, but loses impact considering that Williamson and Taylor are trying to give them bunch of new friends in their respective titles. That being said I'm ok with Taylor's and Williamson's runs being out of "my" continuity.
    Williamson is much better at writing Damian than Taylor is at writing Jon though.

Although to be fair, it could have been much worse, Taylor could have ended-up writing Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Williamson is much better at writing Damian than Taylor is at writing Jon though.

Although to be fair, it could have been much worse, Taylor could have ended-up writing Damian.
    I agree, but it doesn't really change much. I'd still take Tomasi over those two.

It's so stupid they literally could have aged up Jon (if it just had to be fucking done) to like 13-14 & tell the same story their telling now Bi, BF & all & then the dynamic with Damien could have been preserved It's not the same & nothing worthwhile has come from the age up I stand by that fact just made Clark & Lois **** parents that's it.

Again, this feels like an attempt to placate Super Sons fans, but instead is just making them want Kid!Jon all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Again, this feels like an attempt to placate Super Sons fans, but instead is just making them want Kid!Jon all the more.
    I mean I would be pretty okay if we just got like a yearly one-shot just with Damian and Jon hanging out and having friend fun.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    It's so stupid they literally could have aged up Jon (if it just had to be fucking done) to like 13-14 & tell the same story their telling now Bi, BF & all & then the dynamic with Damien could have been preserved It's not the same & nothing worthwhile has come from the age up I stand by that fact just made Clark & Lois **** parents that's it.
    ^All of this^

Lois is especially bad for just dipping out on him after a few days. Sure she couldn't have done anything to stop what happened, but she still left her kid with a guy she had no reason to trust after just a few days.

Too bad DC's probably never gonna be ready to address that one. Nah. The only conflict Jon can have with either of his parents is his annoyance at Clark for evidently "not doing enough". Never mind the fact that Jon's not really doing much of anything that Clark doesn't already do on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Indeed it is.

Didn't read it (still don't really want to either) but the snippets I caught on twitter do pretty much paint this as a consolation prize from Tomasi. I do appreciate that he's giving us all that he's allowed to give, but I still can't really bring myself to support it. Partly because of how bittersweet it'll be, and mostly because I'm still stubborn as **** on the Jon thing lol
    Last edited by Blue22; 01-25-2022 at 12:14 PM.

I read it. Its the most personality this version of Jon has ever had. Not saying a whole lot, but yeah.

And as was said; this only reinforces my want for the real Jon to come back. Make him the same age as Damian (give or take a few months), he can still be bi, but for the love of God, give him to someone who can actually give him personality.

Incredible Member

How old and how tall is Jon supposed to be now? His height seems to vary depending on the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    How old and how tall is Jon supposed to be now? His height seems to vary depending on the plot.
    17-18 years old. No clue on the height.

I was watching Caped Joel's review and he makes an interesting observation about the time cube (which I'm guessing was the MacGuffin of the issue). Link is time-stamped.

The cube ages stuff forward, so couldn't it theoretically be used in reverse? If so, then go Tomasi for both allowing the age up to still happen (for those that liked it) while also undoing it and returning to what worked, and doing so by tying it back into the character's established history. Again, I'd rather the aged up Jon be revealed to not be Jon, but this would be an acceptable alternative.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The loved the parallel between jon/lois and the alien mother/son.It was a fun issue..The dynamics has changed..Jon is clearly leagues above damian at this point in experience and strength..people clamour for the silverage.When all the silverage wackiness happens people don't appreciate.. It's not like this had no heart.it had tons of heart.it was still about two kids grappling with being sons of the world's finest..This time the lack of father figures..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I was watching Caped Joel's review and he makes an interesting observation about the time cube (which I'm guessing was the MacGuffin of the issue). Link is time-stamped.

The cube ages stuff forward, so couldn't it theoretically be used in reverse? If so, then go Tomasi for both allowing the age up to still happen (for those that liked it) while also undoing it and returning to what worked, and doing so by tying it back into the character's established history. Again, I'd rather the aged up Jon be revealed to not be Jon, but this would be an acceptable alternative.
    A middle gound just take off 4 years make him the same age as Damien that's the happy medium for everyone they can still do the whack **** they got going on, his sexuality can stay the same but 11 year old kid to full on adult was a a ridiculous leap & nothing has really come from it as Jon still has nothing going for him except his sexuality.