Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can mutants get magical abilities as a power?

Or does there have to be some outside factor, like studying/getting a magical artifact/a magical parent of some kind?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Or does there have to be some outside factor, like studying/getting a magical artifact/a magical parent of some kind?
    The only precedent we have so far, Magik, and the Scarlet Witch, indicate yet.

And Rictor, but I honestly cannot remember from Excalibur if his new magic is something he always had or if it’s just because of his senpai Apocalypse

In the MU while some people are born with a greater affinity for magic, anyone can master magic through study and training. That's why Coven Abbaka see themselves as superior to mutants, they didn't gain there powers of a genetic accident, but through hard work and sacrifice.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    In the MU while some people are born with a greater affinity for magic, anyone can master magic through study and training. That's why Coven Abbaka see themselves as superior to mutants, they didn't gain there powers of a genetic accident, but through hard work and sacrifice.
    You know there is a good story there about the Coven Akkaba being the same kind of morons who thinks that the poor need to lift themselves up by their bootstraps….too bad they mostly got wasted and ended up as just another set of generic bad guys.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The only precedent we have so far, Magik, and the Scarlet Witch, indicate yet.

And Rictor, but I honestly cannot remember from Excalibur if his new magic is something he always had or if it’s just because of his senpai Apocalypse
    And Pixie and Selene, as well.

Now with the new Black Knight (Dane's daughter) detecting as a mutant, and Modred, son of Arthur, being a 'witchbreed,' it seems like there's going to be a bit more magical / mutant mixing of peanut butter and the chocolate.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Teen Beast got magic powers.

i remember in xmen blue Emma was fighting Teen Beast and said that magic is essentially manipulating primal forces with your mind, i wonder then would it be possible for telepaths to probably grasp the concept much more easily.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

I think reality warpers could fall under the category of magic.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    i remember in xmen blue Emma was fighting Teen Beast and said that magic is essentially manipulating primal forces with your mind, i wonder then would it be possible for telepaths to probably grasp the concept much more easily.
    Given that a certain percentage of magical skill is taught and trained, and telepaths can boop entire languages and skillsets into your noggin, it should be possible for mutant telepaths to turn everyone on Krakoa into a sorcerer in like, less time than it took me to type this... (That said, 'trained' magic is only a subset of what major sorcerers like Dr. Strange can do. Some is also innate personal power, which is inborn, not taught, and some is invocations of extradimensional entities powers, which requires pacts with said entities and can't just be 'taught' if Cytorrak, Watoomb, etc. aren't in a bargaining mood!)

But, in any event, I'm not sure I want to make it that easy, or for Krakoa to have unlimited sorcerers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Given that a certain percentage of magical skill is taught and trained, and telepaths can boop entire languages and skillsets into your noggin, it should be possible for mutant telepaths to turn everyone on Krakoa into a sorcerer in like, less time than it took me to type this... (That said, 'trained' magic is only a subset of what major sorcerers like Dr. Strange can do. Some is also innate personal power, which is inborn, not taught, and some is invocations of extradimensional entities powers, which requires pacts with said entities and can't just be 'taught' if Cytorrak, Watoomb, etc. aren't in a bargaining mood!)

But, in any event, I'm not sure I want to make it that easy, or for Krakoa to have unlimited sorcerers!
    You can't make a pact with extradimensionals if you don't know how to contact them, also inborn power isn't enough, Storm was born with magical powers but has never been able to use it because she never took the time to study.
    Immortal in the Force.

While I don't know that it has been completely spelled out?

This would certainly seem to be the case with a least of few of the Arakko mutants.

That said, they are not exactly "Classic Coke..." mutants. Years of living outside of Earth, and marrying and having children while doing so.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I think what the OP is asking is if a mutant can manifest magic as their mutant ability. Which, as far as I'm aware, has never happened before. Every mutant that uses magic that I know of developed magic as a separate skill from their mutant abilities. Although in the case of Wanda there were some retcons to her mutant ability that made it more connected to magic, and of course they later decided she wasn't a mutant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    You can't make a pact with extradimensionals if you don't know how to contact them, also inborn power isn't enough, Storm was born with magical powers but has never been able to use it because she never took the time to study.
    Inborn power can sometimes be enough. Emily, one of Magik’s students, from Strange Academy was able to use magic when she was a baby by levitating things above her crib. Though I would like to see what spells they can create that must have a full coven of mutants specifically for.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I think what the OP is asking is if a mutant can manifest magic as their mutant ability. Which, as far as I'm aware, has never happened before. Every mutant that uses magic that I know of developed magic as a separate skill from their mutant abilities. Although in the case of Wanda there were some retcons to her mutant ability that made it more connected to magic, and of course they later decided she wasn't a mutant at all.
    The original explaination for Wanda's powers was that Chton imprinted some of his power on to her when she was born altering her natural mutant abilities. Her son Wiccan's mutant power is magical manipulation or reality warping its unclear with him.
    Immortal in the Force.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This is my interpretation of OP as well, and while never officially confirmed, its long been suggested that the External Garbha-Hsien aka Saul, actually has the mutant power to manipulate magical energies.