Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Enjoyed this. Found it amusing Ennis seemed to write this in way he could have having the artist avoid drawing Peacemaker in costume, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I agree there are subtle differences. Still, we have an extremely talented killer, military-trained, working as a vigilante, both having an idea spark in them after witnessing their family's brutal death.

when did this happen? it sounds vaguely familiar to me but wondering if it was Ennis, who I remember still giving Frank his typical code of not killing civilians, non-corrupt cops, etc. Like when those special forces guys went after him in NYC, he used non-lethal force.
    In his “origin” mini for the Punisher about Frank’s time in Vietnam. Frank deliberately gets one officer killed who wants to pull Frank’s unit out of the fighting. Also in that Fury mini Ennis did (My War Gone By I think) where Frank and Nick Fury team up to kill a Vietnam general who plans to out the USA’s dirty laundry in an effort to force the USA to go home by destroying public support for the war.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I found it pretty lame beyond Peacemakers eerie "I gave them peace". Aside from that he's a Gary Sue hard man who is slways ten steps ahead of the poor silly psychologist, the only way to deal with problems in this world is from the barrel of a gun.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In his “origin” mini for the Punisher about Frank’s time in Vietnam. Frank deliberately gets one officer killed who wants to pull Frank’s unit out of the fighting. Also in that Fury mini Ennis did (My War Gone By I think) where Frank and Nick Fury team up to kill a Vietnam general who plans to out the USA’s dirty laundry in an effort to force the USA to go home by destroying public support for the war.
    yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the "Born" miniseries and kind of tossed it aside from the rest of the run. in "Born", Ennis had Frank carrying on constant conversation with the devil, so it's really weird and not representative of the rest of his run. I believe it would be difficult to find examples in the main run of Frank harming civilians and innocents. (and even in the "Born" run, I kind of remember thinking the officer deserved it but can't remember why. maybe i'll re-read it at some point, but not a fan, like I said).

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I found it pretty lame beyond Peacemakers eerie "I gave them peace". Aside from that he's a Gary Sue hard man who is slways ten steps ahead of the poor silly psychologist, the only way to deal with problems in this world is from the barrel of a gun.
    lol, not sure what you were expecting going into a Peacemaker one-shot

I read this and I realized I'm utterly bored of Ennis' schtick. Someone pointed out that the Ennis take on Peacemaker seems to be exactly what Gunn set out to satirize.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I read this and I realized I'm utterly bored of Ennis' schtick. Someone pointed out that the Ennis take on Peacemaker seems to be exactly what Gunn set out to satirize.
    How do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How do you mean?
    The Ennis version is the stone-cold, ultra-lethal badass who's ten steps ahead of everyone and was shaped by repeated traumas into a perfect killing machine. Plenty of dark humor, sure, but an edgy edgy boy.

Cena' and Gunn's version was shaped by an abusive dad into a complete douche who just wants to be the above, and very painfully isn't. I find the second, satirizing the hyper-badass masculinity that the Ennis version embodies, way better.

I don't say that to **** on Ennis. He's targetting something else entirely in this book and while I've found his schtick to have worn *painfully* thin, the dude can still knock it out of the park.

That was rather....dry. I like Ennis but...

The Peacemaker is one of the hottest obscure superheroes on the market right now thanks to the HBO show, and what does DC do....

The put out an incredibly dry origin story that does not feature the Peacemaker in any fun action at all....typical DC, bad decisions because they are sheltered from the market forces.