Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What did an TV/Film/Animated Adaptation do better than the comics?

One of the major advantages a comic book adaptation has is that it can streamline events and ideas from different writers and eras to fit a cohesive narrative. Also it can try to clean up messy plot elements without having to adhere to the canon of something established decades ago. Sometimes it can do so with characters, making a c-lister stand out more or even altering a problematic racist caricature into something more salvageable.

What would you say is a character, plot element, or storyline that was done better in an adaptation than a source comic?

In the case of Men in Black, pretty much everything.

Reeve's performance in the first two Superman movies sold the idea that people would be fooled by the disguise better than the comics ever did. He didn't just slap on the glasses and a blue suit. He changed his voice, his body language, facial expressions etc., so that Clark really did seem like a different person (within the limits of a fantasy movie, of course).

I prefer Abe's psychic powers from the Del Toro films. Plus I think Pearlman pulls off Hellboy as a 20-something in a way the comics haven't achieved yet.

Iron Fist failed Danny but Colleen, Davos, Ward and Jeryn are better than their comic counterparts. I liked Bullseye in season 3 better than most of his comic appearances.

CW's Flash made Vibe a fan favorite. Legends flushed out Vixen's mythos.

YJ gave me a lot of favorites like Roy, Brion, Conner, Kaldur. It even pulled off Bartor.

Making Blade a Daywalker with vampire powers was a pretty good decision, and likely made Blade a more important Marvel figure than before.

Incredible Member

MCU Civil War movie

Having Braniac destroy Krypton (or contribute to the destruction of Krypton) as in Superman the Animated Series was a great idea.

Extraordinary Member

The newest Spider-Man movie took the worst Spider-Man comic story of all time and made it great.

Mr. Freeze.

Nothing anybody likes about the character came from the comics.

His name came from the Adam West show (before that he was Mr. Zero.)
    Him using/needing armor came from the Super Friends toyline (before that it was just a specially insulated suit.)
    His origin came from the Batman cartoon.

Young Justice, the cartoon, was particularly good at this. It made characters I’d have never taken seriously, notably Sportsmaster and Cheshire, into compelling badasses.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    MCU Civil War movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Having Braniac destroy Krypton (or contribute to the destruction of Krypton) as in Superman the Animated Series was a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The newest Spider-Man movie took the worst Spider-Man comic story of all time and made it great.
    All that of these were on my list!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Pretty much anything written by Mark Millar. But that's because his comics are just awful which just happens to have nice central premises.

Mr freeze new origin in batman the animated series.

I liked the movie Stardust over the graphic novel.

The ending was more satisfying. The book did not have a final scene with the witches and the ghosts ending was terrible in the book.
    I thought the ghosts were more interesting in the movie then the book.
    I thought the romance between the main two characters was more engaging. In the book it was, "Well we've been hanging around for 3 years, want to get married?"
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    MCU Civil War movie
    I thought the MCU Civil War lacked any sense of weight to it. The airport fight scene was a farce. There was never the sense that the heroes wouldn't eventually reconcile.