Default From Batman RIP to Final Crisis, I don't understand the timeline

Batman appears to die in a helicopter crash towards the end of Batman RIP fighting the Black Glove. Then right after RIP ends, we have issues 682 & 683 where he's being held captive and having memory experiments performed on him.

I'm unclear what happens after the helicopter crash, when he starts investigating the murder of Orion and when's he's captured by Darkseid?

Any help is appreciated as always.

Extraordinary Member

Issue 682 happens after Final Crisis issue 2. Batman escapes the helicopter off-panel and is in the Justice League headquarters in the first 2 issues of Final Crisis where he is investigating the deaths of Orion and Martian Manhunter. He is captured in Final Crisis issue 2 while still at the Justice League headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Issue 682 happens after Final Crisis issue 2. Batman escapes the helicopter off-panel and is in the Justice League headquarters in the first 2 issues of Final Crisis where he is investigating the deaths of Orion and Martian Manhunter. He is captured in Final Crisis issue 2 while still at the Justice League headquarters.
    thank you!

Extraordinary Member

Not directly related to the question but there is also Batman #701 and 702, the RIP lost issues (or something along those lines) - been a while since I've read them but if I recall 701 gets you from the end of RIP with the helicopter to the beginning of Final Crisis and the 702 basically summarizes Final Crisis from a Batman centric perspective, allowing you to skip it if you so desire.
    Last edited by Hypo; 01-25-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Yes, 701-702 are "lost chapters" that explain how we get from RIP to Final Crisis to Return of Bruce Wayne. Thou I don't recommend reading chronologically since then mystery around what happened becomes pointless.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Issue 682 happens after Final Crisis issue 2. Batman escapes the helicopter off-panel
    Off panel...until 701-702 later show the panels of how he escapes. As others have mentioned. But yea, I don't recommend reading 701-702 right after RIP despite that they help explain what happened immediately afterward.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-28-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I will piggy back on the OPs question and ask what "happens" after he kills Darkseid/is killed by Darkseid. I have the Absolute volumes containing Dick and Damians activities in the "now" but how does end up "back"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I will piggy back on the OPs question and ask what "happens" after he kills Darkseid/is killed by Darkseid. I have the Absolute volumes containing Dick and Damians activities in the "now" but how does end up "back"
    You want Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    You want Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne.
    Thanks!! I will Amazon Prime it!