Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    He wasn't meant to be a hero though but a leader. And that's the crucial difference with then and now. The premise of Duggans X-Men to show the X-Men as heroes which I suppose is why we won't get that Cyclops in this book. The only thing that's irksome is clumsy decisions like this one are no better then the QCs. While the QC have each other to keep them in check. There are no checks on this team . I mean Cyclops died before he could resolve his own mess. So I presume thats why it was done by the QC. He also probably should have consulted them on the massive security problem to Krakoa and not kept it to himself which is very unlike him as well.
    The QC keeps checks on each other? First time I'm really hearing about this.

I joke, but seriously, the idea that the Quiet Council manages to hold itself accountable is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    The QC keeps checks on each other? First time I'm really hearing about this.

I joke, but seriously, the idea that the Quiet Council manages to hold itself accountable is a joke.
    Well Emma dealt with Sinister. She dealt with Moira and she cleaned up Scotts mess.
    The only people who have done any work is Emma, Storm, Apocalypse that when time and Magneto when it suits him

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can see where you are coming from, but it wasn't just Scott being up against the wall, it was his entire species. How heroic is it to put being able to sleep at night over everyone else's survival? I'm not sure there is a right answer to that question.
    Not just this, but if we view what he went through back then through a psychological lens, it can be argued that he was also suffering from trauma. Traumatized individuals are never their "true selves."

Personally, I'd prefer a hybrid between Utopia Scott and 90s Scott, with the Kumbaya stuff only being what those closest to him see behind closed doors. But that's just me. Other people probably have different ideas, and crucially, it seems they are making the decisions.
    I agree. Incidentally, this is how I think Jean should also be written. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss either of them as being permanently weighed down by "Kumbaya stuff." While their current personalities are more in line with who they were at the start of their "careers," never discount or underestimate Red and Slim. When pushed into a corner, both can be fiercely explosive.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member

Well Emma dealt with Sinister. She dealt with Moira and she cleaned up Scotts mess.
    The only people who have done any work is Emma, Storm, Apocalypse that when time and Magneto when it suits him
    Well that tends to happen when your governmental system is best described as "Half-benevolent oligarchy"

Fantastic Member

I've had a long-held belief that you can't actually be a completely good person and a leader of the country. You sometimes have to get your hands dirty in order to nation build, because by its core concept, the idea of nation building in inherently selfish and not entirely altruistic. It's why Cyclops had to do what her did during the Utopia era, and why the QC feels like they needed to do some mindwipes and construct the whole Captain Krakoa thing.

I can totally understand why Scott, no longer leading the mutant population, might want to act like hero. At the same time, I can't help but feel like he should also understand why the QC feels the need to do what they did to protect Krakoa. So him saying they're going to war over this seems...almost hypocritical and silly.

That being said: I don't really love this storyline around the Resurrection protocols. Of all the shady **** going on, they're focusing on this?

What do we think Jean, Lorna, and Rogue are doing in Arrako?
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    I've had a long-held belief that you can't actually be a completely good person and a leader of the country. You sometimes have to get your hands dirty in order to nation build, because by its core concept, the idea of nation building in inherently selfish and not entirely altruistic. It's why Cyclops had to do what her did during the Utopia era, and why the QC feels like they needed to do some mindwipes and construct the whole Captain Krakoa thing.

I can totally understand why Scott, no longer leading the mutant population, might want to act like hero. At the same time, I can't help but feel like he should also understand why the QC feels the need to do what they did to protect Krakoa. So him saying they're going to war over this seems...almost hypocritical and silly.

That being said: I don't really love this storyline around the Resurrection protocols. Of all the shady **** going on, they're focusing on this?
    Agreed with this, even Sinister being on the QC and thats the reason he wants no part of this would make more sense this.

Rightclops is too interesting not to come back some day

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post

I mean, once again, the Quiet Council is mind-wiping Urich's mind for essentially no reason. They've already exposed the protocols themselves to Orchis, who leaked them to Urich presumably because they trusted Urich's reputation would buoy the leak, but they can just leak it to a different reporter who won't give the X-men a heads-up this time. At least leave it with the reporter who is sympathetic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    What do we think Jean, Lorna, and Rogue are doing in Arrako?
    Knowing the Arrakki, they probably ate an ambassador, and they are there to try and stop an interstellar war because it turns out Apocalypse's philosophies are not a good thing to found a country on.

Well okay, they probably just killed the ambassador. Then Tarn ate the corpse.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I can see where you are coming from, but it wasn't just Scott being up against the wall, it was his entire species. How heroic is it to put being able to sleep at night over everyone else's survival? I'm not sure there is a right answer to that question.

Personally, I'd prefer a hybrid between Utopia Scott and 90s Scott, with the Kumbaya stuff only being what those closest to him see behind closed doors. But that's just me. Other people probably have different ideas, and crucially, it seems they are making the decisions.
    I think of Scott as a person who will do what is necessary, no more and no less. Mindwiping Urich was not necessary, so he'd have a problem with that.

I mean, once again, the Quiet Council is mind-wiping Urich's mind for essentially no reason. They've already exposed the protocols themselves to Orchis, who leaked them to Urich presumably because they trusted Urich's reputation would buoy the leak, but they can just leak it to a different reporter who won't give the X-men a heads-up this time. At least leave it with the reporter who is sympathetic.
    I'm sure if it was Orchis who leaked it the QC would know given he was mind wiped by them. Also are they not destroyed since Inferno 1? I feel like the jumping forward and back in time is so clumsy here ita really hurt the overarching story

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I think of Scott as a person who will do what is necessary, no more and no less. Mindwiping Urich was not necessary, so he'd have a problem with that.
    Why wasn't it necessary? He was planning on publishing the story to the world. Given how **** security in Krakoa is ita game over if one of 5 are taken out or the cradles

If it wasn't an issue they wouldn't have made such a big deal about it when the Avengers came in ToM
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 01-26-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm sure if it was Orchis who leaked it the QC would know given he was mind wiped by them. Also are they not destroyed since Inferno 1? I feel like the jumping forward and back in time is so clumsy here ita really hurt the overarching story
    Given Stasis is still around Orchis must be a thing since isn't he part of them? And I don't think Urich knows who his source is, iirc he was just given an anoymous tip and evidence. The QC can probably guess it's Orchis, but apparently chose not to inform Scott...maybe because they want to cover for their own incompetence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    This essentially. Out of all the people who this stuff could have been leaked to, Urich was the one most favorable to Krakoa. The best choice would have been to delay the story somehow or convince him not to publish or at least get the mutant side out first. All they've done with this is make sure it'll get leaked to a different reporter next time who probably is not going to be willing to give Cyclops a heads-up next time, and ensured when Urich finds out what happened (This is a comic, you know he's going to find out at some point), Krakoa will have lost a reporter who was at least sympathetic towards them.

Given Stasis is still around Orchis must be a thing since isn't he part of them? And I don't think Urich knows who his source is, iirc he was just given an anoymous tip and evidence. The QC can probably guess it's Orchis, but apparently chose not to inform Scott...maybe because they want to cover for their own incompetence.
    Well considering Cyclops died without telling them about it they probably haven't had to update him. Urich was threatening to release it within a day. It seems all very silly in the first place how do you look out for Krakoas best interests and keep this information from the ruling council.

The story is far too confusing but are we saying Nimrod told Stasis who told Ben or did Stasis find out another way

This essentially. Out of all the people who this stuff could have been leaked to, Urich was the one most favorable to Krakoa. The best choice would have been to delay the story somehow or convince him not to publish or at least get the mutant side out first. All they've done with this is make sure it'll get leaked to a different reporter next time who probably is not going to be willing to give Cyclops a heads-up next time, and ensured when Urich finds out what happened (This is a comic, you know he's going to find out at some point), Krakoa will have lost a reporter who was at least sympathetic towards them.
    Well thats if it gets leaked to another reporter. They should have leaked it to multiple reporters if it does end up being Orchis leaked it. And Urich didn't just figure it out