Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Marauders Annual review *spoilers*

We begin with Daken investigating some mutant deaths when he is ambushed and captured by Brimstone and the Theatre of Pain.

Kate and Bishop toast to their old boat as they discuss getting a new one and forming a new Marauders team.

Kate then visits Psylocke who is still mourning her failed plan in Hellions. Kate asks her to join her team to help others from experiencing that sort of pain.

In the green lagoon, Bouncer and Tempo are talking. Sensing she’s being dumped, Tempo fast forwards to the end and they both end their relationship in a happy note. Bishop arrives for Tempo and wants a definite answer on whether she is joining the team. She is.

Kate and Psylocke search for Daken but can’t find him and he’s missing from XFactor. Meanwhile, Bishop and Tempo find Aurora in Canada and ask her to join them.

Finally, we have a scene of Iceman and Christian dancing while Somnus watches over. (Not familiar with Somnus or his powers so a bit confused here) but then it turns out the 3 are naked in a hot tub w Iceman and Christian cuddling while Somnus watches? Kate and Psylocke arrive to ask for his help after he puts on a towel.

Meanwhile, Brimstone Love is holding a public execution of Daken as revenge for Krakoa being the end of Xavier’s dream of co-existence. Daken is then goijng to have his blood spilled by a former Morlock (Carver?) who has bad memories of the Marauders. Brimstone love gives a speech and the crowd of humans (and mutants who feel rejected by Krakoa) seem to love him because they also see Krakoans as traitors to co-existence. He stabs Daken in the neck.

The team arrives to rescue Daken and discuss whether Krakoa still believes in co-existence. The team gets a scene each kicking butt before a furious Daken breaks free and cuts off a horn from Brimstone. A furious Brimstone then has the ground swallow him up and the Marauders has to save the humans/rejected mutants from being swallowed up with him.

The team reunites and toasts to a new boat they stole from Emma, and they all plan on being a new team.

Kate then meets with Emma and Sebastian to talk about the new team when Emma gives her blessing and gifts Kate with the mysterious box that Mystique had gotten her. The box is 2 billion years old and has a message inside for Kate. Kate opens the box and it seems to be a map with a handwritten note by Kate saying: the first blood spilled. Kate doesn’t understand how her handwriting was in the box.

Well, I'm glad SOMEONE brought up the coexistence thing.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Never heard of Carver or Bouncer before.

Are the theTheatre of Pain characters any interesting?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Damn, Somnus sounds like a freak. I don't know if it'll make more sense in context, but I'm just picturing him staring at them like some voyeur, or some creeper who's trying to live through them vicariously. Either way, I love Somnus now.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-26-2022 at 07:53 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Never heard of Carver or Bouncer before.

Are the theTheatre of Pain characters any interesting?
    Weren't they on Jon sublimes legaly not xmen teams ?

Decent issue.

It did feel a bit rushed in "collecting" everyone on the team but I'm glad we've gotten this out of the way so we can work on bonding the team and developing the main plot points for the series.

I really enjoyed this and Orlando is definitely lurking on this board. LOL! I liked the way Tempo and Psylocke worked together with their powers, and Brimstone Love was great.

The ending has me intrigued and definitely sets the tone for the series. The mystery box with the map of Krakoa inside is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Damn, Somnus sounds like a freak. I don't know if it'll make more sense in context, but I'm just picturing him staring at them like some voyeur, or some creeper who's trying to live through them vicariously. Either way, I love Somnus now.
    You and me both.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Now aside from wherever the mystery of the mystery box is leading to next, I also really reaaaaally want to know how Emma even found out about it in the first place. Like, she's been trying to get her hands on this for a long time now, so SOMETHING had to set her in that direction, in order to even know of its existence. Like way back at the Hellfire Gala, the people she was talking to about it were surprised she even knew of their existence at all, so as much as I want to know where this plotline is GOING, just as much I really hope we get some kind of flashback look at how it even began.

She found it out via Elias Bogan maybe? But why is Nova needed? Anyway probably the best issue out this week.

Incredible Member

Ugh! I am really not liking this Sommus person, he feels like a creep, great way of introducing a new character. I will give it a chance just for Tempo and Kwanon.

As an homosexual man I am very disappointed with how the X-Office have handled Christian and Iceman relationship, have they even had a meaningful conversation in the Krakoa era?
    Last edited by Milici; 01-26-2022 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

You and me both.

Wait, I see speedos. So he wasn't actually naked?

Into the trash he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post

As an homosexual man I am very disappointed with how the X-Office have handled Christian and Iceman relationship, have they even had a meaningful conversation in the Krakoa era?
    Funny you should mention that. In Vecchio's Marvel Unlimited one-shot, Iceman is actually unsure about his thing with Christian, too.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-26-2022 at 08:26 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Somous is a freak? Say less!!

This was a treat to read. Other than whatever rule there is that prohibits Bobby from ever being iced-down.

Incredible Member

Also I liked Aurora and Daken relationship, he stop being a slut and was committed to her, proving that bisexual man can be in monogamous relationships. Now this Sommus guy loves him, he is messing with two couples, I hope they reveal he was messing with their minds or something.

Astonishing Member

I mean, there's really no need to villainize Somnus because everything he does in this issue is completely explained and everyone's voluntarily on board with it by all accounts? Like, I'm not loving the rush to view him as predatory when that's just.....not what's going on. The thing with Iceman and Christian is he basically gives them the dream prom night neither of them ever got because Bobby was busy being an X-Man and fighting life or death battles in high school and Christian was locked up in a mental institution by his homophobic father....who in the 'dream' that both Bobby and Christian are fully aware is a dream, thus making it pretty clear they know what's happening is a result of the dream powers of the guy in the hot tub with them, and are fine with.....like point being, in the dream scenario, a vestige of Christian's father and his bigotry is like, trying to denounce Christian, who literally just takes the opportunity to rub his slow dance with Bobby in his father's dream face. Somnus is only there because he HAD to be there to initiate the dream, that's pretty clearly established as how his power works, and he just kinda unobtrusively stands on the sidelines of the dream like a chaperone at the prom, staying out of the way while Bobby and Christian have their slow dance with Somnus showing no desire to cut in or make it about him.

And he's really not like....doing anything in the issue to mess with Aurora and Akihiro's relationship, or trying to cut in there either? He and Akihiro met decades ago and had a one night stand that was amplified into an extended dream sequence by Carl's powers - with it being likely it wasn't even deliberate on Carl's part since they were both young at the time and he never actually got any official training with them, and Akihiro's literally the one who asked to have Carl resurrected, with Aurora there and informed of their history from the jump.

To clarify, nowhere in the issue does Somnus express resentment or confusion about the two of them being in a relationship, his history with Akihiro is explicitly referenced as HISTORY that predates the relationship with Aurora by several decades, and Somnus is pretty explicitly characterized as "I'm helping to rescue Akihiro because they think I might have insights that could help given our knowledge of each other from an extended dream-life together, but just because I still have feelings for him doesn't mean I'm interested in disrespecting his current relationship or trying to win him back at Aurora's expense."

Sorry, just.....feels like a lot of jumping to conclusions about him when the issue explicitly lays out the dynamics in such a way as there's not really any need to reach for conclusions or assumptions. Don't get me wrong, if you don't like the dynamics as laid out or buy them as believable, that's like, one thing, but the assumption of this new character as predatory based on a handful of out of context lines isn't....that. Y'know?