Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

It kind of reminded me of the start of X factor. We've got a problem, so let's recruit the first few people we see to solve it! Like a Nuzlocke Pokemon run, only with X-men

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    It kind of reminded me of the start of X factor. We've got a problem, so let's recruit the first few people we see to solve it! Like a Nuzlocke Pokemon run, only with X-men
    You know there's an alternate dimension where they picked up Selene, Mastermind, Empath, Fabian Cortez, and Sabretooth and this ended with Kitty buried in a ditch somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Yep, wish they could stop with this. The team end up being disjointed
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    You know there's an alternate dimension where they picked up Selene, Mastermind, Empath, Fabian Cortez, and Sabretooth and this ended with Kitty buried in a ditch somewhere
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Someone write this What If, now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    *Lots of info about the Morlocks*
    Well said.

This also reminds me why i found it so disappointing that when Marrow was part of the X-men she eventualy got reduced to having "body image issues", which were seemingly the root of all her anger and troubles, rather than exploring the fact that she was practically a trauma ridden child soldier who could still be "salvaged" into re-learning right from wrong and using her powers and skills for a good cause (Callisto practically forced her to join up with the X-men hoping they would better her), rather than turning into another Sabertooth.

Funny enough i recall reading that Lobdell's original plan for Gene Nation was for them to be second gen Morlocks who instead of hiding from normal humans in the tunnels, would want to go out and present themself in all their freakish glory and use their powers regardless of what the reactions would be. As if to say: "Look at us. We exist. Freaks and proud of it!" (Marrow herself was seemingly inspired by teenagers with piercings). But doing so with violence and agression.
    Their name is seemingly even based on Queer Nation a LGBTQ+ group from the 90's who tried to raise awareness via confrontational actions and slogans.

So her character was original supposed to be utterly proud of what her powers did to her appearance. Also that original pitch for Gene Nation sounds a lot more interesting than what we got...

Though playing devil's advocate aswell, i guess one could make the point that her obsession with beauty and her own appearance was infact a troublesome result of hearing mystified versions of the Morlocks worldview as a kid, before getting abducted to a remote place where she was forced to kill fellow mutants (who became increasingly more grotesque looking over the generations) daily while being told it was all the "pretty people's" fault.

Still i feel they wasted her potential when she got reduced to the beauty obsession. Which is another example of misunderstanding the Morlock's original personality and self awareness.

Anyway.

It really makes sense for the Morlocks to willingy stay in their own newfound home and live their way of being mutants rather than moving to Krakoa and assimilate completely into what ever society and culture they are forming there considering their history.

And the current status quo has been clear so far that this is voluntarily, rather than forced upon them. Especialy since we see Morlocks working together with Krakoa (Callisto, Marrow, Healer, Masque, the three who helped cleaning up Low Town) and others moving to and from the place casualy, like someone working in or visiting the next town or city.

They had created their own society, culture and community around being mutants (sadly it often devolved into portraying them as some sort of wacky tribal group that just happens to life under under New York) when everyone else was still bussy forming paramilitary fighting groups (they were the first canoncial civilian mutant group after all) and they held onto this identity despite all the tragedies that befell them.
    Mutant Massacre, Mikhail Rasputin flooding the tunnels, abductions to Neverland, M-day, multiple more attacks. The Morlocks got decimated over and over and somehow some of their survivors kept regrouping and finding new members who joined them.

So is it any wonder that when ol' Charlie proclaims to have created THE mutant society and nation, by shaking a magic wonder island out of his sleeve, while the Morlocks had just spend years barely getting by and only recently gaining a sweet place in the sun for themself that is legaly their's, that they would be reluctant to give that all up to join him?

On that note. I kinda hope that if the Morlocks ever make it to the MCU or when they are used for another animated series, that they are more portraid as an anarchic community, rather than tribalistic homeless people who do knife fights to decide their leaders (not that they need to be all pacifist and nice, just having more communal identity and spirit).
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-27-2022 at 06:47 PM.