Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Now aside from wherever the mystery of the mystery box is leading to next, I also really reaaaaally want to know how Emma even found out about it in the first place. Like, she's been trying to get her hands on this for a long time now, so SOMETHING had to set her in that direction, in order to even know of its existence. Like way back at the Hellfire Gala, the people she was talking to about it were surprised she even knew of their existence at all, so as much as I want to know where this plotline is GOING, just as much I really hope we get some kind of flashback look at how it even began.
    Maybe a days of future past tie in. Kate Pryde while inside of Kitty Pryde, left the mansion for one night and went to meet with Emma Frost and she allowed Emma to read her mind. In the Days of Future Past world Emma Frost had a mental breakdown when all the children at the X-Mansion and the Massachusetts Academy were murdered by Sentinels, she died helping Magneto and Logan escape a Sentinel attack on a resistance base just before the events of the Days of Future Past comic, that was how Magneto was captured and put in the concentration camps, and Logan fled to Canada to join the Canadian resistance cell after the American resistance collapsed under the Sentinel attack/regime. We find out right after this is when Tessa and Emma offered a seat on the Hellfire Club to Magneto and Storm, and Emma started trying to get the Hellions and New Mutants to work together in an alliance with Magneto. We also find out that this is one of the reasons that Emma asked Kate to rejoin the X-Men in the 2000's and work with her and Scott.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Yeahhh, Brimstone Love is a maniac obsessed with pain and cruelty, that manipulates those around him like a cult leader...but he is still have a point that the comic fails to address, because Krakoa is not about coexistence, even if specific humans can live in it, they are the exception, not the rule.

Because that is what Xavier said in his speech when creating Krakoa, that he was abandoning coexistence as a false dream. And while in private he has said otherwise, nothing that Krakoa has done in a public way, has shown that they follow the dream, so Kate, if you want people to believe in coexistence, better prove with actions, not empty words.

I mean, in the issue one character mentions that "towels" are a human concept and while is meant to be more of a funny joke, it shows that Krakoans considers themselves above humanity, not part of it, because that idea, "x is a human concept that doesn't work for us", is something that keeps popping up in this era beyond Hickman.
    While this issue actually handles it a lot better than that, I’ll agree that the early stuff of this era really pushed things like the Towel stuff. I remember New Mutants #1, where Dani is talking about how their society will last because it’s not based off of human ideologies and ideas pissed me the hell off because A) Dani’s character is built in part on her Native American heritage and B) I have Native American descent, am a tribal member, etc., and hearing someone of Native descent say something like that about their own heritage disgusted me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Wait, is this story implying anyone who rejects Krakoa and believes normal humans and mutants should still seek to co-exist is also a blood thirsty angry part of a mob who will cheer public executions?
    Yeah, my impression reading this was that there was some serious strawmanning by the writer of legitimate concerns some readers have with the Krakoa concept. And I'm saying that as person that's fine with Krakoa, I just think that part landed extremely poorly.

Finally got to the issue.

• What the hell? Why is Kitty Pryde suddenly so hot in this issue?
    • Tempo using her powers to speed through a breakup. Love it. Though I like the reasons her GF gave for breaking up with her. I hope we explore them later on.
    • Kate: "On my boat, we're family." Until the book ends and the characters decide to drift into other stories.
    • STITCH. That's a deep cut, but a welcome one.
    • Okay, so Somnus is giving Iceman and Christian a pleasant dream. I was hoping he was just creeping on them or trying to set up a threeway. Suddenly he's a lot less cool now.
    • But he also not-flashed some strangers, which is pretty cool.
    • Brimstone's motivation are pretty interesting. I like how his words and motivations seem good, but everything else shows malice. Aside from the obvious red flags, he's ruling people with fear to get what he wants, while claiming to be noble. He also refuses to listen to others, assuming everyone has ill intention. He claims everyone is trying to silence him, but he's the one who instigating things and not even giving others a chance to speak.
    • I like Carver.
    • I really love the stars on Somnus' cape.
    • Honestly though, Somnus didn't really do anything this issue.
    • I like the art but what the hell is this

Anyway, good issue. I'm on board for the relaunch.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Astonishing Member

Just realised where the name Carver rang a bell.

Wolverine #157.

The cover made me chuckle back in the day, because it really tried to convey that this guy who looked like a cheap Wolverine knockoff (cigar included) could have a chance against the real deal. Even funnier it was written by Rob Liefeld who as we know liked to make immitations of Marvel and DC heros in his style for Image. So it was like Wolverine fighting an Image immitation of himself, but in a Marvel comic.

Though thinking back i should have been more forgiving, considering how i liked the cover of X-men #72 for having a similar dynamic (albeit Wolverine's enemy on it looked less like a knockoff in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    (...)
    Brimstone's motivation are pretty interesting. I like how his words and motivations seem good, but everything else shows malice. Aside from the obvious red flags, he's ruling people with fear to get what he wants, while claiming to be noble. He also refuses to listen to others, assuming everyone has ill intention. He claims everyone is trying to silence him, but he's the one who instigating things and not even giving others a chance to speak.
    (...)[/LIST]
    You know. He looks and manipulates people similar to a Slaneesh demon from Warhammer 40k now that i think about it.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-26-2022 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    While this issue actually handles it a lot better than that, I’ll agree that the early stuff of this era really pushed things like the Towel stuff. I remember New Mutants #1, where Dani is talking about how their society will last because it’s not based off of human ideologies and ideas pissed me the hell off because A) Dani’s character is built in part on her Native American heritage and B) I have Native American descent, am a tribal member, etc., and hearing someone of Native descent say something like that about their own heritage disgusted me.
    If it makes you feel better, I believe Dani makes a point of saying that she embraces her Native roots and Krakoan citizenship in one of the Voices specials.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I believe Dani makes a point of saying that she embraces her Native roots and Krakoan citizenship in one of the Voices specials.
    I did read that and took it as a nice apology for that issue of New Mutants. While I might have complaints about Krakoa I don’t really support the “mutant superiority” reading that some people have, but yeah in the moment that one issue really pissed me off, so it was nice they fixed it with the Voices issue

On a personal note can i say i LOVE there is a gate to Connecticut. lol. This was a really fun read. I'm not sure how i feel about the art, the vibes didn't seems to mesh for me but i got over it quick and it was more of just a fleeting feeling.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Honestly, so much about the current era comes down to 1) execution and 2) who is writing a particular story. There are some writers like Ayala (and personally, I think Orlando), who drawing upon their own visceral understanding of things like respectability politics, are able to write nuanced stories that show mutants refusing to play respectability politics in regards to being mutants specifically but without trampling all over other aspects of their identity and disparaging human members of the other marginalized communities they're part of.

But then you have others like Hickman, who for all his skill with sci-fi plots, like, has never so much as displayed an INTEREST in examining certain aspects of marginalized identity and lived experiences, or like, concepts like intersectionality, and thus in contrast just reduces characters to being mutant or non-mutant and tramples all willy-nilly over everything distinct and real-world-relevant about a mutant character's identity. Giving us the end result of.....the bullshit from NM#1 where it doesn't sound like Dani and Berto have just stopped playing respectability politics but full on swapped personalities with generic Acolyte zealot #9 from the 90s.

Which makes it very tricky getting a handle on where I stand with a lot of these concepts, personally, because I feel like I'm getting whiplash from one writer's take to the next. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I mean, there's really no need to villainize Somnus because everything he does in this issue is completely explained and everyone's voluntarily on board with it by all accounts? Like, I'm not loving the rush to view him as predatory when that's just.....not what's going on. The thing with Iceman and Christian is he basically gives them the dream prom night neither of them ever got because Bobby was busy being an X-Man and fighting life or death battles in high school and Christian was locked up in a mental institution by his homophobic father....who in the 'dream' that both Bobby and Christian are fully aware is a dream, thus making it pretty clear they know what's happening is a result of the dream powers of the guy in the hot tub with them, and are fine with.....like point being, in the dream scenario, a vestige of Christian's father and his bigotry is like, trying to denounce Christian, who literally just takes the opportunity to rub his slow dance with Bobby in his father's dream face. Somnus is only there because he HAD to be there to initiate the dream, that's pretty clearly established as how his power works, and he just kinda unobtrusively stands on the sidelines of the dream like a chaperone at the prom, staying out of the way while Bobby and Christian have their slow dance with Somnus showing no desire to cut in or make it about him.

And he's really not like....doing anything in the issue to mess with Aurora and Akihiro's relationship, or trying to cut in there either? He and Akihiro met decades ago and had a one night stand that was amplified into an extended dream sequence by Carl's powers - with it being likely it wasn't even deliberate on Carl's part since they were both young at the time and he never actually got any official training with them, and Akihiro's literally the one who asked to have Carl resurrected, with Aurora there and informed of their history from the jump.

To clarify, nowhere in the issue does Somnus express resentment or confusion about the two of them being in a relationship, his history with Akihiro is explicitly referenced as HISTORY that predates the relationship with Aurora by several decades, and Somnus is pretty explicitly characterized as "I'm helping to rescue Akihiro because they think I might have insights that could help given our knowledge of each other from an extended dream-life together, but just because I still have feelings for him doesn't mean I'm interested in disrespecting his current relationship or trying to win him back at Aurora's expense."

Sorry, just.....feels like a lot of jumping to conclusions about him when the issue explicitly lays out the dynamics in such a way as there's not really any need to reach for conclusions or assumptions. Don't get me wrong, if you don't like the dynamics as laid out or buy them as believable, that's like, one thing, but the assumption of this new character as predatory based on a handful of out of context lines isn't....that. Y'know?
    This.

It’s completely obvious he is giving B&C a fantasy they asked for.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member

At least can we all agree Brimstone Love is already a thousand times better a villain than the Hellfire Brats are?

Incredible Member

At least can we all agree Brimstone Love is already a thousand times better a villain than the Hellfire Brats are?
    Are those goblings still breathing? I hope we don't see them again in a long time.

Astonishing Member

I mean, the bar is so low there, not even Brimstone Love could geokinetically Limbo his way under it.

I will never understand writers' fascination with the Prepubescent Pitstains from Hell.

Crazy how Love and his nutjobs in this book mirror the illogical pangs of the Krakoa nay sayers.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Crazy how Love and his nutjobs in this book mirror the illogical pangs of the Krakoa nay sayers.
    Yes because truly the way to artistic greatness is to emulate the response of Roland Emmerich to his critics ala the Godzilla movie.