Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

This issue was okay, but some of the cast could go IMO. Somnus seems like a lame pet character created by Orlando, so he’s being forced into the book and serves little real purpose. If I could cut anyone it would be him. I’m also not a big fan of Daken, though he’s growing on me and I enjoy his budding relationship with Aurora and find that interesting.

Brimstone Love seems like an interesting villain, and the art was solid. I’ll probably check out the first few issues of the relaunched series and see how it goes.

Mighty Member

Definitely don't think Somnus really fills any purpose other than being a character Orlando created.

I don't hate the voice of the other characters, but it definitely feels like certain members are just there because the author wanted them.

I like some of the things Orlando said about Somnus in his X-Men Monday interview so I'm intrigued:

"Somnus is the fresh eyes on everything fantastic that for many people on Krakoa has become mundane. I mean, look at how unusual and wondrous life is there and life as an X-Men or a mutant often is — although, yes, sometimes it’s terrifying. But he’s here to really show us just how amazing all of this is and to learn to enjoy life and enjoy his second chance in a way that he couldn’t during his first pass at life.
    Actually, the real surprising fact is that his powers don’t necessarily work in the simplistic way he thought before he came to Krakoa. Much like we become more powerful when we accept our pride and accept ourselves, he’s going to become more powerful in a lot of fascinating ways."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Definitely don't think Somnus really fills any purpose other than being a character Orlando created.

I don't hate the voice of the other characters, but it definitely feels like certain members are just there because the author wanted them.
    A. It's been one issue.

B. Any writer assigned to a team book is going to put in the characters they want. Why wouldn't they??
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Wonder how Somnus fits into a battle situation.

I'm assuming he can make people sleep, like a telepathic suggestion?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Wonder how Somnus fits into a battle situation.

I'm assuming he can make people sleep, like a telepathic suggestion?
    According to the wiki, he can force people to sleep and the ability to enter and control dreams is a great utility power even if it's not too usable on the field of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    So Tempo and Bouncer split up, okay,.... ehhh, did we know Tempo liked women, or is this new?
    First time it's been confirmed on panel... I'm betting she's bi
    GrindrStone(D)

Speaking of powers, what exactly was it that Aurora was doing to people in this issue? I know she has light powers, but I don't remember "flash-frying(?) brains with light" being a part of her repertoire?

Quote Originally Posted by Hekabolos View Post
    Speaking of powers, what exactly was it that Aurora was doing to people in this issue? I know she has light powers, but I don't remember "flash-frying(?) brains with light" being a part of her repertoire?
    Bores them to death
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    My take away from the Hot Tub scene:

Bobby and Christian are hot tubbing.
    Somnus (Carl, iirc?) joins them.
    They're just vibing in a literal tropical paradise.
    They start exchanging small talk.
    "I'm new" "Oh, what are your powers?" "Oh that's so interesting" "Would you like to try it?" Yadda yadda yadda.
    And so Christian says "Why not, lets do it!" and Somnus presumably puts them to sleep and constructs a "revenge fantasy" (haha) for Christian: He and a boy (Bobby, in this case) experiencing a common coming of age/rite of passage that many gays their age missed out on (prom) while dancing on top of the visage of Christian's disapproving father, and they can literally scuffs their heels into his father's face (haha) The specifics of the dream (the setting, the dad, etc) could be subconscious desires that Somnus accessed in Christian's mind rather than a specific request. Bobby inquiring about the slow dance choice is also a peek into Christian's tender side, as Bobby is likely more familiar with Christian being a "bad boy" type, prompting Christian's joke about the cot under the bleachers.

The Ice of it all is likely one of two explanations: Bobby is REALLY into his power exploration lately. His choice to remain "ICED" could be a reflection of that. But the simplest answer is that he is in ice form for the reader to more easily identify him. Silly or not, it is what it is. Chalk it up to Mutant Pride.

So the Somnus scene: Its not weird. Its not creepy. Its definitely not pervy. Its a charming introduction to Orlando's new character, establishing that he is new to Krakoa, has a romantic connection to Akihiro, is able to shape a person's dreams and he's eager to experience what the world has to offer after having received a new lease on life.

Beautifully said, BobbysWorld

On the subject of Tempo: So many folks keep insinuating that Tempo's orientation came out of nowhere or that its new, and to that I say: Heterosexuality is not a default. Every character is not straight until proven otherwise and every queer character does not require a dramatic lead up, revelation or coming out moment to be queer.
    This post makes the most sense for me when thinking of the somnus scene. If i'm honest though im a little surprised some people seem to have had a problem with the scene. Like it didn't cross my mind at all there being an issue if he was in the hot tub with two other adult men. I will admit once it was brought up i can see how the issue of consent may be an issue as it wasn't on panel explicitily stated somnus had their permission but on the flip it's a little messed up to me that people assumed the worse because i don't think if it was a situation with a telepath which can pick up far more info, and female, anyone would have had a problem with the scene. If i want to get in a hot tub with 14 naked men 18 naked women and 2 voyeur geese if we all adults i don't see wtf the problem would be. lol

edit:I mean the geese obviously present a problem, like sanitation. lmao but yeah.
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-27-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

On the subject of Tempo: So many folks keep insinuating that Tempo's orientation came out of nowhere or that its new, and to that I say: Heterosexuality is not a default. Every character is not straight until proven otherwise and every queer character does not require a dramatic lead up, revelation or coming out moment to be queer.
    Amen to this ! Decent LGBT+ representation is still in it's infancy in Marvel so it's easy to forget this sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    First time it's been confirmed on panel... I'm betting she's bi
    First time for 616, but first alluded to in Age of X.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Christian back to Hellfire? Now give Pyro a rank and have him handle PR.
    My flag is bacon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    A. It's been one issue.

B. Any writer assigned to a team book is going to put in the characters they want. Why wouldn't they??

Sure it's been 1 issue, but like he's out on rescue missions due to really flimsy reasoning.

As for the second point. I only really take issue with it cause it was a Daken fashioned rescue operation and some of them just felt like "You're cool, get in." which is just kinda ehhhhh

While this was a good issue I can agree with the sentiment that the recruitment of some of the characters happened way too fast. The recruitment of Psylocke especially felt this way.