Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE #1 Review *spoilers*

Prologue: X Deaths of Wolverine #1 picks up where Inferno #4 left off, with Moira fleeing Krakoa through the gate Cypher offered her, which leads to her home: Scotland. "I can practically feel Mystique's hot breath at the back of my neck," she thinks, before stopping a passerby, swiftly stealing his truck, and taking off. "I need to buy myself some time," she notes. "I need to make sure she can't follow." Later, Moira coughs up blood before admitting, "[W]hat I feel growing inside me now is more like...a hot rage."

Days Later. Krakoa. Green Lagoon: Black Tom is having a drink at the Lagoon when he realizes there "is something wrong" with his drink. He leaves the bar and heads towards the Krakoan wilderness. "There's something wrong with the Veg!" he exclaims. He notes that "Krakoa [is] always changing," but that "[t]his is different. Black Tom can feel it in his roots and nerves. A change. An intruder. But nothing fell from above or came from below..." Suddenly, an egg violently emerges from the ground, leaving Tom perplexed.

New York. McCarthy Medical Institute. Moira meets with Dr. Foster regarding blood work. She reveals that Moira has Stage Four cancer, which "has metastasized." Moira requests Krakoan petals, to which Dr. Foster responds, "There's a waiting list a mile long for Krakoan medicine. And you know petals can't cure cancer." She asks Moira why she didn't seek help from "them" (i.e., Krakoa and mutants), but Moira refuses to reveal what's happened. There's a knock at the door, and a nurse informs Dr. Foster that she is "needed back in the morgue."

As the doctor leaves, the nurse is revealed to be Mystique, who enters the examining room and hurls a bed at Moira. Moira screams at her, "I created all of this. Your disgustingly perfect Krakoan society only exists because of me. My work--my lives--built this world. And this is how you thank me?!" Moira throws several syringes at Mystique, one of which notably pricks her. Suddenly, Valkyrie bursts into the room and instructs Moira to "Go!," and Moira jumps out of the hospital window.

Krakoa: Black Tom examines the "egg," or "tumor," that previously emerged from the ground. Gradually, a Transmode Virus-infected Wolverine emerges from the pod and swiftly beheads Black Tom.

C.I.A. X-Desk: Through a surveillance video feed, we see Moira back on the street and running through traffic. She is identified by the surveillance, which notes: "Mutant Database System Scan: Positive Identification - Moira MacTaggert." One of the CIA agents theorizes, "If she's been off the grid this long...there's a good chance she's a defector or an escaped prisoner," before noting, "Either way, she's got intel the X-Desk will no doubt find valuable." She orders, "Send out an extraction team."

Newark, N.J.: Moira ruminates about not having "much time" and, considering how quickly she was found at the hospital, being a target. "My face is a bullseye," she notes. She enters a department store, grabs a box of hair dye, and heads to the bathroom, where she proceeds to cut her hair and dye it blonde.

Moira's No Place. A man, presumably Transmode Wolverine or a CIA Agent, enters Moira's place and sniffs her notebook.

Streets of Newark. Moira makes her way through the streets, thinking about her next course of action when she is stopped by a CIA Agent, who asks, "Mind taking a walk with us." Moira fights a pair of agents, grabbing one of their guns and shooting them both. She runs, steals a motorcycle from a man, and flees, noting: "The CIA wants me in a cell. The mutants want me in a grave. Between them and the cancer eating its way through me, my chances aren't great. But if there's one thing I've learned from all my lives...it's that dying doesn't agree with me."

Data Page: "Search Queries: Arnab Chaklader"

Krakoa. The Cradle. Jean and Xavier are hovering over Wolverine, who has had his psyche transported to the past when suddenly Jean senses something. "That's impossible," she says. Transmode Wolverine enters the Cradle. "But you're...Logan? I don't understand...Is that you?" Jean asks. Transmode Wolverine responds, "I'm no one. I was never here."

Phew!
    Last edited by Mercury; 01-26-2022 at 08:15 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Ugh. Well, at least NuMoira is all the more visually distinct from Classic Moira.

Incredible Member

If Moira goal was to "cure" mutants, why is she so afraid of dying? She really thinks a hair style change can fool anyone?

This issue was another good one. Solid continuation of Inferno for all those griping about last issue being too Wolverine centric (in a book bearing his name). Can’t wait to find out more about this Omega Wolverine too. The way he just coldly dispatched Black Tom makes it pretty clear he’s not a good actor.

Extraordinary Member

So the US government always knew Moira was a mutant? Or were all human allies of the X-Men included in the mutant database?

Astonishing Member

Uh...what is Moira's deal? Why is mystique following her? At least they seem to be cementing that Moira doesn't really seem to care about mutants at all seemingly.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    So the US government always knew Moira was a mutant? Or were all human allies of the X-Men included in the mutant database?
    How? Even Cerebro couldn't tell she was a mutant!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I was assuming the latter.

That Moira first-person narration felt like it came from a comic 20 years ago.

Pretty good. Liked the plot, but liked the flow of the comic in Lives better.

Come to think of it, how exactly did she not realize she was this bad, given all the advanced technology on Krakoa?

Astonishing Member

So together with X Lifes of Wolverine, i can only think of one word to describe it. Contrived.

Nothing here clicks with me here yet. I didn't like HOX/POX for what destroyed, triviliazed and build up, but i was hooked to see where it was going with every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Come to think of it, how exactly did she not realize she was this bad, given all the advanced technology on Krakoa?
    Likely because Hickman had none of this planned and Percy just heared "tumor" in Krakoa regarding the "no place" and felt he should make a ton of allegories to cancerous growths and give Moira X some of it too for "poetic" reasons?

Astonishing Member

Maybe she's just very dumb? This is the woman who thought she could save-scum her way to mutant victory based on a grand total of about seven actual attempts, and thought the key to the timeline were Magneto and Professor X.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So another version of Wolverine?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    So another version of Wolverine?
    Well you see, Marvel show the astounding success of DC’s 3 Jokers idea and has decided to replicate it.

Rather than ask Magneto or Xavier for help, Moira simply decides to think she's been betrayed for no good reason. Ok, I guess.