Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Both issues were AMAZING (pun not intended) ! There is so much I want to talk about, but I will attempt to summarize :P

1- Cap, Felicia, and MJ are the BEST friend one can ever wish for ! I LOVED how supportive and helpful they were to Peter, great stuff
    2- Felicia and MJ' chemistry is OFF-THE-CHARTS. One of the best dynamic duos ever ! They compliment each other very well this issue, and I also loved their conversation at the roof, towards the end. Emotional, insightful, and so much more.. beautiful !
    3- The art on both issues were STELLAR, and that page 11 of ASM 87.. DAYUM ! How did they get away with Felicia designs and poses this issue? lmao ! Not that I am complaining tho :P

and I also cant forget about this - -
    Peter: "Oh. Okay. It's this dream again. Be gentle, please."

Oh Peter, you lucky SOB
    I laughed so hard at that part !

GREAT SPIDER-WEEK (AND BLACK CAT'S) !

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Both Mary Jane and Black Cat trended today on twitter over these issues!
    Awesome. Very awesome. And generally cosigning everyone here.

Mary Jane and Black Cat weren't just a blast, but an explosion together. Especially liked seeing them bond over being written off as just "the bad girls," which I'd take as something of a rebuke towards certain elements of the Spider-Fandom and even some of the professionals working at Marvel who'd in the past dismissed MJ and/or Felicia as "not suitable" for long-term romance, let alone marriage, with Marvel's poster boy superhero, whom both of them loved dearly and truly.

As for ASM 87, as fun as it was to see Peter getting back in the swing of things with Felicia's and Captain America's help and Mary Jane under Carlos Gomez's art again, I did feel bad for both Ben Reilly and Ashley Kafka and what Beyond did to them both, especially with Ben losing all his foundational memories and now likely being reconstructed as Beyond's perfect corporate Spider-Tool. Also got the sinking feeling I know how Queen Goblin comes into existence, though that last page with MJ in Felicia's suit and meeting Ben's own redheaded love, Janine Godbe, who has all the information needed to shut down Beyond before it's too late . . . well, that should be promising.

Come to think of it, both Mary Jane and Janine grew up being abused and mistreated by their fathers, though Janine's did worse to her from what I'd recall, which was what prompted her to kill him and run away from home before meeting Ben in The Lost Years and eventually surrendering to the authorities in Spider-Man: Redemption. It'd be interesting if they got to talk and bond a bit over their pasts and their love for the Spider-Men in their respective lives.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

MJ and Black Cat was great! Such a joy..loved the chat at the end...both ladies so capable and devoted to Peter on equal footing..and good friends with each other ultimately..well written proper emotions on display here..

ASM #87: Felicia great in this too, and nice to see Cap the same, he always was close and someone Peter looked up to, before all the nonsense with Tony Stark...

Feeling sorry for Ben though again..the golden rule of being Spidey has been lost to him in the mind wipe..how can he be Spidey if he doesn't know what comes with great power?!

I've said before I see Ben as Pete's brother, bonded by shared power and shared memories...if that goes there is no point to Ben...here's hoping that however it happens, whether by Pete's help, or Dr Kafka, whatever, his full memories are restored...and that Maxine..she needs some serious comeuppance to happen to her!

Astonishing Member

This ASM issue made me look the March solicits in another light

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    This ASM issue made me look the March solicits in another light
    How so Sr Bungle?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    While it fulfills one of my "elements I want to see I a Spider-man run," I'm a bit sad that my boy, Mr. Fear got his butt kicked off panel, but overall I still enjoyed both comics. I wonder which version of Mr. Fear it was? The costume screams Cranston, but he would be a very tough opponent, given how he broke Murdock during Brubaker's Daredevil run. (He is also incapable of feeling fear himself anymore, so intimidation shouldn't work.) Maybe Fagan is wearing his uncle's costume? Also a bummer that Shocker is such a joke.

I loved the acknowledgement that MJ was the "bad girl" in Spider-man comics of the 60's-70's. Some people tend to treat her like "Saint Mary Watson-Parker." (Imo, she was more interesting than Gwen as a love interest because she was a bad girl that knew what she wanted, NOT so called "perfect wife material.") I also liked Felicia teasing her about having a juicy booty, several modern artists have been depicting MJ with a flat bottom, and that just needs to stop. (this is a hill I am willing to die on.)

Cap and Felicia also work very well together, despite somewhat very different values. (At least when it comes to helping Spidey.)
    Gospel truth, right there.

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    MJ and Black Cat was great! Such a joy..loved the chat at the end...both ladies so capable and devoted to Peter on equal footing..and good friends with each other ultimately..well written proper emotions on display here..

ASM #87: Felicia great in this too, and nice to see Cap the same, he always was close and someone Peter looked up to, before all the nonsense with Tony Stark...

Feeling sorry for Ben though again..the golden rule of being Spidey has been lost to him in the mind wipe..how can he be Spidey if he doesn't know what comes with great power?!

I've said before I see Ben as Pete's brother, bonded by shared power and shared memories...if that goes there is no point to Ben...here's hoping that however it happens, whether by Pete's help, or Dr Kafka, whatever, his full memories are restored...and that Maxine..she needs some serious comeuppance to happen to her!
    I'm thinking Janine could help, since she managed to escape Beyond last issue and has met up with Mary Jane with all the dirt on Beyond in that drive, which could also contain the key to restoring Ben's mind and memories.

Yes indeed Huntsman, thanks for reminding me about that part..Janine has the key to Ben's restoration...interesting she comes to MJ with it...but may take a while..think Sr Bungle is hinting at the cover of ASM #93, Spidey vs Spidey, Pete vs Ben...

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Both Mary Jane and Black Cat trended today on twitter over these issues!
    For good reason .
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Awesome. Very awesome. And generally cosigning everyone here.

Mary Jane and Black Cat weren't just a blast, but an explosion together. Especially liked seeing them bond over being written off as just "the bad girls," which I'd take as something of a rebuke towards certain elements of the Spider-Fandom and even some of the professionals working at Marvel who'd in the past dismissed MJ and/or Felicia as "not suitable" for long-term romance, let alone marriage, with Marvel's poster boy superhero, whom both of them loved dearly and truly.

As for ASM 87, as fun as it was to see Peter getting back in the swing of things with Felicia's and Captain America's help and Mary Jane under Carlos Gomez's art again, I did feel bad for both Ben Reilly and Ashley Kafka and what Beyond did to them both, especially with Ben losing all his foundational memories and now likely being reconstructed as Beyond's perfect corporate Spider-Tool. Also got the sinking feeling I know how Queen Goblin comes into existence, though that last page with MJ in Felicia's suit and meeting Ben's own redheaded love, Janine Godbe, who has all the information needed to shut down Beyond before it's too late . . . well, that should be promising.

Come to think of it, both Mary Jane and Janine grew up being abused and mistreated by their fathers, though Janine's did worse to her from what I'd recall, which was what prompted her to kill him and run away from home before meeting Ben in The Lost Years and eventually surrendering to the authorities in Spider-Man: Redemption. It'd be interesting if they got to talk and bond a bit over their pasts and their love for the Spider-Men in their respective lives.
    We kind of had a trio of good "Bad Girls" this week all coming together in their own way...although I think MJ's the only one who hasn't done hard time...

Astonishing Member

How so Sr Bungle?
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #91

• WHAT IS BEHIND DOOR Z?!
    Ben makes his way to the same place Miles Morales was last at, and he is nowhere to be found. Just door after door of true horrors.
    • Any door's resident could kill Spider-Man, but Door Z's might just destroy the whole city!

Is he looking for Miles? Seems pretty heroic to me

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #92

• WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LIZARD?! And what could he (or more accurately, it, after recent ASM events) possibly have to do with what has been battering Ben Reilly around?

What indeed?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #93

• THE BIG FINALE OF "BEYOND"!!!
    • SPIDER-MAN VS. SPIDER-MAN! You may surprise yourself with who you're rooting for.
    • Don't miss the conclusion to one of the most surprising Spider-Stories of the past decade.

I think that means we would be rooting for Ben.

I'm expecting some curveballs. They're promising them at the very least

I hope to be surprised, right now I fear for Ben

"Bad girls", but good women to be around in Pete and Ben's life..

"Bad girls", but good women to be around in Pete and Ben's life..
    All the best girls are a little bit "bad girls" .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For good reason .

We kind of had a trio of good "Bad Girls" this week all coming together in their own way...although I think MJ's the only one who hasn't done hard time...
    Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #91

• WHAT IS BEHIND DOOR Z?!
    Ben makes his way to the same place Miles Morales was last at, and he is nowhere to be found. Just door after door of true horrors.
    • Any door's resident could kill Spider-Man, but Door Z's might just destroy the whole city!

Is he looking for Miles? Seems pretty heroic to me

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #92

• WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LIZARD?! And what could he (or more accurately, it, after recent ASM events) possibly have to do with what has been battering Ben Reilly around?

What indeed?

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #93

• THE BIG FINALE OF "BEYOND"!!!
    • SPIDER-MAN VS. SPIDER-MAN! You may surprise yourself with who you're rooting for.
    • Don't miss the conclusion to one of the most surprising Spider-Stories of the past decade.

I think that means we would be rooting for Ben.

I'm expecting some curveballs. They're promising them at the very least

I hope to be surprised, right now I fear for Ben
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I am not surprised Peter has had dreams of a threesome with the girls in leather catsuits.
    Him asking them to be gentle makes me wonder if the dreams end up getting into BDSM lol.

Felicia commenting on MJ having a giant butt honestly makes me want to re-read the issue and see if it shows in the art.
    Only once:

But this issue also buffed MJ's ass for this one moment, for the rest of the comic they look about the same size, while it somewhat nerfed felicia's.

Is this the first time Felicia has heard about Gwen? I do think it was pretty nice to see both girls frankly talk about themselves and their relation to Peter, and the relationship dynamics. That they were both the "Veronica" in relation to the other girl, and MJ still has to deal with the shadow of Gwen's death, actually made a lot of sense as something for them to bond over. But still admitting MJ is perfect ;D.
    Might be the first time Felicia hears of Gwen yeah, most of her relationship with Peter had her not wanting to know about the Peter Parker side, to the point that in ASM#258 she didn't even know who MJ was.

Stuff might've changed on the brief relationship after she matured with Peter opening up to her, but I don't think he ever talked about Gwen.

Also, man, MJ saying Gwen was perfect, laughable lol.

I think this is the second time Peter has seen Felicia's crew but I wonder if he even remembers them.
    He saw then in Black Cat Annual, even talked with them a bit, and it's implied he dealt with them before:

Curious to see how MJ and Janine interact.
    Did they even interact before this? 'Cause from what I remember she was in a relationship with Ben before he moved to New York I think, and then she returned in Spider-Man: Redemption, and she was arrested at the end, so unless I missed something, not a lot of time for her to interact with MJ, or even Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I loved the acknowledgement that MJ was the "bad girl" in Spider-man comics of the 60's-70's. Some people tend to treat her like "Saint Mary Watson-Parker." (Imo, she was more interesting than Gwen as a love interest because she was a bad girl that knew what she wanted, NOT so called "perfect wife material.") I also liked Felicia teasing her about having a juicy booty, several modern artists have been depicting MJ with a flat bottom, and that just needs to stop. (this is a hill I am willing to die on.)
    To be fair, in older comics she had skinnier legs and a flat ass, once in a while in the 80's she had bigger thighs or whatever, but it wasn't that consistent, I think it's more modern stuff that may give her bigger thighs (Most noticeably RYV), but still not consistent.

Of course, body shapes in general aren't fucking consistent, it gets even worse in covers (15 year old Jean in that time travel nonsense once was shown with big boobs in a cover, I think in X-Men Blue, and within the comic itself, drawn by the same artist, she had the usual flat chest), so yeah...

Cap and Felicia also work very well together, despite somewhat very different values. (At least when it comes to helping Spidey.)
    Felicia in general seems like an easy character to get along with, about the worst thing she does is stealing, that's about the biggest thing to get in the way of someone getting along with her.

Anyways, aside from nitpicks like Felicia talking like she's better at swinging than Spidey, and Shocked being made fun of like he's Ultimate Shocker (Which's another thing that kinda annoys me about Ultimate's influence on Spider-Man), those are the best issues Beyond has got to offer so far, and while this can sound like it's not a compliment, I'm saying it is, actually fun stuff and issues not reading like half issues, how novel.

Looks like Kafka will be forced into being Queen Goblin after all, assuming that cover wasn't bait all along, so hey, maybe her character won't be ruined.

Also interesting they referenced that a fake blood test was done to make Kafka think she's the real deal, but it does make me wonder why the "Good" Norman now didn't mention this at some point, since he was the one who did that back in the Ravencroft comic lol.

Oh well, fun stuff, maybe the last issues of Beyond won't be a boring waste of time like the previous ones, but I'll expect them to be meh again just in case lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

MJ and Janine have not met. Janine is more damaged and withdrawn than MJ. An introvert while MJ is more of an extrovert.

Hope the art isn’t too confusing with two redheads.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    MJ and Janine have not met. Janine is more damaged and withdrawn than MJ. An introvert while MJ is more of an extrovert.

Hope the art isn’t too confusing with two redheads.
    It'll be fine, Janine is the one with the ponytail and not dressed like Black Cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then