Extraordinary Member

Default Anne Leung DePies named GM/SVP at DC Comics

Anne Leung DePies named DC General Manager
    Burbank, Calif. (January 25, 2022) – Anne Leung DePies has been named Senior Vice President and General Manager of DC, the comics publishing giant and home to the World’s Greatest Super Heroes. The appointment is effective immediately and was announced by Pam Lifford, President, WarnerMedia Global Brands and Experiences to whom DePies will report. DePies replaces the role previously held by Daniel Cherry III.

DePies will be responsible for the operations, revenue, legal, marketing, brand management, and strategic planning of the DC business, with a special focus on driving DC’s international and digital expansion. She will partner with Jim Lee, DC’s Chief Creative Officer and Publisher on creative, talent, and editorial decisions to support and drive DC’s aggressive story, character, and digital plans along with continuing DC’s commitment to the direct market comic book retailers.

“Anne’s deep knowledge and appreciation of the DC business, legacy and people will be invaluable in this new leadership role,” said Pam Lifford, President WarnerMedia Global Brands and Experiences. “She understands our fans, characters and stories, and along with Jim, will passionately build our DC publishing business to even greater heights,” Lifford added.

“I’ve worked with Anne for over a decade and what impresses me is that she gets the importance of story,” said Jim Lee, DC Chief Creative Officer and Publisher. “She understands it is our foundation, and she has literally woven it into our business plan which speaks volumes as to the future she envisions for DC. I’m super excited for this partnership and what is to come next.”

Anne DePies said: “It is incredibly humbling to step into this role at a place I’ve been for a while now. I feel like I partially grew up at DC, and I’ve seen how important we are to our fans. To get the chance to lead our company to do even more for them is a dream come true.”

DePies has been with DC since 2011 and was most recently Senior Vice President, Global Brands and Franchises where, as part of the DC leadership team, she developed a new strategic and operating focus on value creation by focusing the unit on franchises. She helped align the company’s business functions and team structure with today’s marketplace realities, and worked across publishing, editorial, sales and marketing and key support functions resulting in a record revenue year in 2021. Prior to DC, DePies worked on acquisitions across Warner Bros. theatrical, television, and video games units.

DePies started her career in 1999 at Arthur Andersen consulting and holds her degrees in International Economics and Accounting from UCLA. She completed her MBA there in 2005.

Lot of editors at DC seem happy with this. She’s a DC vet so I hope she has more love for comics than Cherry did.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Um...cool?

Astonishing Member

DC desperately needs new blood. I think Jim Lee needs to step back and just handle the publishing side of things. They need a new CCO over there with serious long-term vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    DC desperately needs new blood. I think Jim Lee needs to step back and just handle the publishing side of things. They need a new CCO over there with serious long-term vision.
    Marie Javins would be perfect if she didn’t have to report to the wrong people. She’s incredibly creator/editor friendly and encourages and empowers them to be their best selves.

Never heard of this lady before, but if people behind the scenes are reportedly excited about it, hope she does a good job.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Who do you think was the guy who helped put Bob Harras into the EiC position at DC in the first place? We have seen Lee "handle the publishing side of things". It'd be better if he was kept away.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Who do you think was the guy who helped put Bob Harras into the EiC position at DC in the first place? We have seen Lee "handle the publishing side of things". It'd be better if he was kept away.
    I know he was. He helped him out because Harras gave him a shot on the X-books. Besides, he already is publisher. But him being CCO too means he has a strong hand in where the lines goes creatively. I'd much rather that go to someone new.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Marie Javins would be perfect if she didn’t have to report to the wrong people. She’s incredibly creator/editor friendly and encourages and empowers them to be their best selves.
    I have no problem with Javins. She has been around for decades and learnt from the best in Gruenwald.