Default Abbott Elementary [ABC]

I decided to check out this hilarious and subtly moving comedy series after reading that it became ABC’s “first comedy premiere to quadruple ratings since its original airing.” Immediately, I was struck by the show’s topical subject matter, keen insight, and down-to-earth quality. The cast, writing, and overall production are aces. I ended up binging the five episodes available on Hulu and plan to continue watching.

Source: https://deadline.com/2022/01/abbott-...234919539/amp/

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Yeah, this is one of my favorite new shows. I've been watching since the premiere and it's really funny how close to reality it is (or at least that's what all my teacher friends say.)

The principle is the funniest character to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Yeah, this is one of my favorite new shows. I've been watching since the premiere and it's really funny how close to reality it is (or at least that's what all my teacher friends say.)

The principle is the funniest character to me.
    The Principal Ava is hilarious! ��

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

“Can you twerk?” 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    “Can you twerk?” ��

It's the way she delivers her lines and that look ������

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    The Principal Ava is hilarious! ��

Ha HA! Even funnier the second time I watched it. Count me among this new show’s fans as well!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I've only watched the first ep so far, but I plan to catch up.

First impressions:
    -- From the ads, I thought it had a "Parks & Rec" vibe. The main character is definitely like Leslie Knope.
    -- The Italian character needs to be less of a stereotype. Hopefully, she'll be more fleshed out in future eps.
    -- The principal is going to need to be careful she doesn't get "Me Tooed" for her comments to the new teacher. I hope they tone that down as it's not cool, regardless of gender.
    -- I think the show does a good job of heart-felt and funny. The cast is a likable mix so far and I'm sure their chemistry will only improve.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-01-2022 at 08:17 AM.

This show is awesome. Tonight's gifted class episode was so funny. The principal is the definite star of the show.

The latest episode was excellent. I seriously love every character.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've only watched the first ep so far, but I plan to catch up.

First impressions:
    -- From the ads, I thought it had a "Parks & Rec" vibe. The main character is definitely like Leslie Knope.
    -- The Italian character needs to be less of a stereotype. Hopefully, she'll be more fleshed out in future eps.
    -- The principal is going to need to be careful she doesn't get "Me Tooed" for her comments to the new teacher. I hope they tone that down as it's not cool, regardless of gender.
    -- I think the show does a good job of heart-felt and funny. The cast is a likable mix so far and I'm sure their chemistry will only improve.
    Eh...I respectfully disagree. The depiction of sexist characters in fiction is not an endorsement of sexism. There would be no humor or drama worth watching if we only allowed characters to behave the way we want people to behave.

(If the show runs long enough, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they do an episode where the principal gets into legal trouble for her actions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Eh...I respectfully disagree. The depiction of sexist characters in fiction is not an endorsement of sexism. There would be no humor or drama worth watching if we only allowed characters to behave the way we want people to behave.

(If the show runs long enough, however, I wouldn't be surprised if they do an episode where the principal gets into legal trouble for her actions.)
    It's not the depiction that I object to. It's potentially how the show treats it. So far, we've seen the other teachers act uncomfortably , but nobody said anything about her comments being inappropriate. (again, I've only seen the first ep) It's one thing to have a character behave badly, it's another when it's in a workplace where - as you say, she's going to get in trouble - and should. I'd be okay with the show demonstrating the cost of that kind of work behavior. I know it hasn't been that long, but "The Office" was during simpler times and a ton of the stuff Michael Scott did should get him in a lot more trouble than little awkward glances towards camera. The thing I wouldn't want to see is the show letting her get away with it and not getting called out.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-02-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Looking forward to the new episode today.

I had to leave Quinta Brunson a tweet after last night's episode (2-15-22) telling her I'll be chuckling at the memory for YEARS.

Principal Ava falling out of her seat...LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Principal Ava falling out of her seat...LOL!!
    I literally asked "Where's Ava?" when she wasn't in the beginning. But when she asked for a seat just so she could fall out of it was the funniest thing LMAO