Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

In memory of Jean-Claude Mézières (1938–2022)

Couv_26639.jpg
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lights...camera...action...SHOOT 'EM UP!!

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-27-2022 at 01:05 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I know I shouldn't comment on this, but l, while there are many covers that fit the theme there are several that are way off base. It's a little confusing as to why those covers were chosen. But, as with each week's game it will be up to the voters to decide.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I know I shouldn't comment on this, but l, while there are many covers that fit the theme there are several that are way off base. It's a little confusing as to why those covers were chosen. But, as with each week's game it will be up to the voters to decide.
    Well, I have a doubt, too. Did you think: “Fast paced” and “high energy” and “combat/fight scenes” ? Or: “Fast paced” or “high energy” or “combat/fight scenes” ?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Well, I have a doubt, too. Did you think: “Fast paced” and “high energy” and “combat/fight scenes” ? Or: “Fast paced” or “high energy” or “combat/fight scenes” ?
    'And' was my intention. If it was or I would have specified that. I didn't realize that there might be some confusion, so i apologize for that.

'And' was my intention. If it was or I would have specified that. I didn't realize that there might be some confusion, so i apologize for that.
    Thanks for the answer.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I think that some posters (like me for example) key in on one part, like "high energy" and post something that fits. I think the problem is that "high energy" and "fast paced" are the adjectives and combat scene is the noun. If instead you say, "Post a COMBAT/FIGHT SCENE that is high energy and fast paced, it would be clearer. Of course then people would post a lot of covers from War Comics because they wouldn't read past that phrase, So you really can't win here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fast paced is also hard to gauge in a single static image. Pacing in comics is usually the result of how you flow from one panel to the next, the juxtaposition of images, size and shape of panels, gutter size, etc. all things not usually present on a cover unless you have a rare panel cover. So I went with a scene that looked like it was a frantic combat scene that implies action since a single image cannot show action just a snapshot of a single second within the action.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I am changing my entry, a fight is a fight, doesn't need to get violent.
    Last edited by Catlady in training; 01-27-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Fast paced is also hard to gauge in a single static image. Pacing in comics is usually the result of how you flow from one panel to the next, the juxtaposition of images, size and shape of panels, gutter size, etc. all things not usually present on a cover unless you have a rare panel cover. So I went with a scene that looked like it was a frantic combat scene that implies action since a single image cannot show action just a snapshot of a single second within the action.

-M
    I was more thinking about animes than comics to convey the idea of speed…

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    I figured that it could be a challenge. Then again, I didn't want to make it too easy.

So far I've seen many covers that manage to convey action and the intensity of a fight.

My motivation behind this was that so many cover images are static (like portraits) and/or slow moving and/or moving without direction or purpose.

I wanted to see more covers that drew you into the action and that were exciting.
    Last edited by Tami; 01-27-2022 at 09:42 AM.

The image so awesome it needed TWO wraparound covers to hold it. Fantastic Four 646 and 647 by the incredible Art Adams, expanding on the original by Jack "King" Kirby.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Going with Jim Cheung's recreation of Jack Kirby' FF annual #3 cover as part of the Fantastic Four's 60th anniversary tribute issue last year.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-27-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Well, this is ACTION comics and kids have lots of ENERGY and there is a fight, so...