Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Linking a character to heavily to a certain time period is bad for the character

You either horribly date the character if you do, or you’re forced to use cheap and increasingly silly means to keep them relevant or in some cases still alive in the modern day. Captain America is one of the few characters that have managed to pull this off in an interesting way. With others it becomes increasingly silly overtime(Disco Dazzler) or increasingly convoluted overtime (when they use clones or time travel for example). The best characters are the ones whose origins are times less, and can be moved from one decade to another with only superficial changes.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    You either horribly date the character if you do, or you’re forced to use cheap and increasingly silly means to keep them relevant or in some cases still alive in the modern day. Captain America is one of the few characters that have managed to pull this off in an interesting way. With others it becomes increasingly silly overtime(Disco Dazzler) or increasingly convoluted overtime (when they use clones or time travel for example). The best characters are the ones whose origins are times less, and can be moved from one decade to another with only superficial changes.
    I wonder if in 40 years will they change Cap from WWII to Vietnam or the Gulf War, if not then he would have to be in ice for longer and longer

Disco Dazzler would probably be in style right now.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I wonder if in 40 years will they change Cap from WWII to Vietnam or the Gulf War, if not then he would have to be in ice for longer and longer
    no if you pick a war you pick World War II. Vietnam and the Gulf War are not remembered in the same way. If Captain America was a Vietnam veteran he would not be thought of as fondly.

Just have him frozen for longer. Other characters like Magneto will have a tougher time. Unless Marvel is just okay with Magneto being a 100+ years old
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    no if you pick a war you pick World War II. Vietnam and the Gulf War are not remembered in the same way. If Captain America was a Vietnam veteran he would not be thought of as fondly.

Just have him frozen for longer. Other characters like Magneto will have a tougher time. Unless Marvel is just okay with Magneto being a 100+ years old
    Cap's background will just involve him being frozen in ice longer and longer. Eventually, he'll be emerging into a world where there were *no* veterans left alive when he emerged, though the sliding scale means that won't be happening for some years yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

I didn't even think about Magneto, the Holocaust is so intrinsic to his character I don't know how Marvel will write themselves out of that corner.

Maybe they'll give him a new power set where the magnetic field keeps him younger

I didn't even think about Magneto, the Holocaust is so intrinsic to his character I don't know how Marvel will write themselves out of that corner.

Maybe they'll give him a new power set where the magnetic field keeps him younger
    Since Marvel keeps adding new stories about the past of older characters like Logan, Mystique, Xavier or Magneto, they just have to write one where Erik is abducted by some mad scientist and put into stasis for years.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I still think making Nick Fury one of the higher-ups in S.H.I.E.L.D. as seen in Hickman's minis would solve his aging problem and still keep him able to be active in WWII. The commandos, however, have a problem where the Infinity Formula may not be able to explain everything.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    You either horribly date the character if you do, or you’re forced to use cheap and increasingly silly means to keep them relevant or in some cases still alive in the modern day. Captain America is one of the few characters that have managed to pull this off in an interesting way. With others it becomes increasingly silly overtime (Disco Dazzler) or increasingly convoluted overtime (when they use clones or time travel for example). The best characters are the ones whose origins are times less, and can be moved from one decade to another with only superficial changes.
    Well for Dazzler I think its not just Disco shes almost connected to any pop music of whatever is popular or club music.

Astonishing Member

I would honestly prefer if characters could age out. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about Fad Supers becoming outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Since Marvel keeps adding new stories about the past of older characters like Logan, Mystique, Xavier or Magneto, they just have to write one where Erik is abducted by some mad scientist and put into stasis for years.
    This is a good idea, it's an interesting thought experiment.

I wonder if the editors are thinking about this and what are some of their solutions

This is a good idea, it's an interesting thought experiment.

I wonder if the editors are thinking about this and what are some of their solutions
    Yeah...I mean they could also add time travelers to it, since time travel and mutants are so deeply bonded

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I still think making Nick Fury one of the higher-ups in S.H.I.E.L.D. as seen in Hickman's minis would solve his aging problem and still keep him able to be active in WWII. The commandos, however, have a problem where the Infinity Formula may not be able to explain everything.
    I thought the Infinity Formula was like the Super Soldier Serum? It prevents aging, so like Steve, Nick would be functionally immortal? The difference between the two being that the Infinity Formula doesn't grant the peak human condition like the Serum does.

They already explained Dum Dum Dugan as well - his original body is long dead but he transferred his mind to LMDs. If one gets destroyed he can just move to a new body.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I thought the Infinity Formula was like the Super Soldier Serum? It prevents aging, so like Steve, Nick would be functionally immortal? The difference between the two being that the Infinity Formula doesn't grant the peak human condition like the Serum does.

They already explained Dum Dum Dugan as well - his original body is long dead but he transferred his mind to LMDs. If one gets destroyed he can just move to a new body.
    Originally, the Infinity Formula was just given to Nick. Eventually, it was spread to all of the Howlers. Here is where the OP's warnings get legitimate, though. How does Happy Sam Sawyer show up in an issue of Captain America? Was it given to him as well? And Reb Ralston was a US Senator. At some point, doesn't America wonder how a WWII vet is serving in the Senate? Dugan may be an LMD, but that's the convolution the OP spoke of. If Dugan's an LMD, what about Gabe Jones? I know the Howlers were all killed off in Secret Warriors thereby keeping the problem from getting any worse, but there is still a lot of shifting timeline crap going on before that.

The OP does make a good point here and the Howlers are good support for their argument.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

They could just make him into an external.