Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Default The Rogues Appreciation Thread 2022

Joshua Williamson is giving the Rogues their very own Black Label book this year. As this is the first bunch of super villains I really liked, I think they deserve an appreciation thread. As well as more attention in general from DC. Anyone else agree?

Incredible Member

The Rogues 1.jpg
    The Rogues 2.jpg
    They've always been a fun group of villains throughout the DC-Verse. I always loved how certain members played off one another (Captain Cold/ Heat Wave, Trickster/ Pied Piper).

One of my favorite villain teams .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

My favourite villains in comics. Hands down.
    Carmine Infantino cooked up some great stuff (ably assisted by the great John Broome).
    I loved what Geoff Johns did with them all bringing them front & centre again - while creating some great new additions too.
    It's the one blemish on Mark Waid's tenure. He never got a handle on the Rogues (which I always thought was weird as he nailed pretty much everything else).
    Both Underworld Unleashed and Hell to Pay were.... OK (although I did love the Trickster's story in Underworld Unleashed). He mainly used only Kadabra.

I'm quite excited about this 4 issue story. I'm hoping Williamson has something great lined up.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

My only quibble with Johns is that you could tell which Rogues he loved and which ones he didn't really care for. Captain Cold and Heat Wave? Definitely. Trickster and Pied Piper? Not so much.

What I find appealing about the Rogues is that they are villains with no interest in world conquest or bloody murder. They are damaged characters and thieves, but you can't really call them evil.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    My only quibble with Johns is that you could tell which Rogues he loved and which ones he didn't really care for. Captain Cold and Heat Wave? Definitely. Trickster and Pied Piper? Not so much.

What I find appealing about the Rogues is that they are villains with no interest in world conquest or bloody murder. They are damaged characters and thieves, but you can't really call them evil.
    He did give Trickster and Piper their own arcs...although it really put Hartley through the ringer.

I found his portrayal of Trickster and Piper to be flat. Piper's spotlight issue in particular.

I did like that he gave the Rogues their own ground rules for criminal conduct. Including rules against killing superheroes.

I found his portrayal of Trickster and Piper to be flat. Piper's spotlight issue in particular.

I did like that he gave the Rogues their own ground rules for criminal conduct. Including rules against killing superheroes.
    Are we talking Jesse or Axel for Trickster?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are we talking Jesse or Axel for Trickster?
    James Jesse.

James Jesse.
    Oh! Okay. I liked Jesse going "legit" and working for the government with his own Rogues team before playing to type .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Johns also gave us Murmur, Girder, Fallout, Double Down, Cicada, Blaquesmith, Tar Pit and who could forget the amazing Peek A Boo?? (OK, so they weren't all winners)
    Plus, he made Grodd SCARY and gave us Hunter Zolomon, who in my opinion is level pegging with Savitar as the perfect foil for Wally.
    If a hero is only as good as his villains, then he made more impact than any other writer since Broome.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Love the Rogues so damn much. I'll always fantasize about them getting their own movie. Johns excels at writing villains and he really emphasized what makes the Rogues different - blue collar robbers with a code who made their own family.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Johns also gave us Murmur, Girder, Fallout, Double Down, Cicada, Blaquesmith, Tar Pit and who could forget the amazing Peek A Boo?? (OK, so they weren't all winners)
    Plus, he made Grodd SCARY and gave us Hunter Zolomon, who in my opinion is level pegging with Savitar as the perfect foil for Wally.
    If a hero is only as good as his villains, then he made more impact than any other writer since Broome.
    I would actually love to see the Keystone Rogues get a consistent, fleshed-out run where they build bonds with each other and interact with the industrial setting of Keystone. They were cool in Rogue War but there was a lot else going on.

Wally's Rogues deserve to be distinct .