Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond

Mighty Member

Default Beyond

What do you think of Beyond so far
    Me Im loving it

its not too bad but not amazing either beyond isnt impressing me with Ben besides that first issue
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Been a big disappointment for me.

Loved: The three Zeb Wells issues, and the 3 Jed McKay issues.

Liked: The Saladin Ahmed issue, some of Ziglar's stuff.

Everything else has been kinda bleh. And in general, Ben has come out looking like an incompetent rube with no skills.

Mostly forgettable, it's been picking up in the last 3 issues or so though, time will tell if the rest will be worth a damn.

While there are comics that read better on trade, I don't think that'll be the case for Beyond, at least for the first issues, it'll make Ben's change of opinions more noticeable, same for the repetitive plot points, might not feel it's dragging as much though, but eh, I get the feeling this might be remembered as Ben's New Day, though, one that m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ gets rid of his villanous past, so maybe not BND level of damaging, even if it's still pretty boring for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Been a big disappointment for me.

Loved: The three Zeb Wells issues, and the 3 Jed McKay issues.

Liked: The Saladin Ahmed issue, some of Ziglar's stuff.

Everything else has been kinda bleh. And in general, Ben has come out looking like an incompetent rube with no skills.
    This is pretty much how I feel. The Thompson issues were…. not good. They weren’t like the worst thing ever, but it was a bad misstep having that immediately follow Wells’ strong opening.

Kaine is really never showing up, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kaine is really never showing up, huh?
    Unfortunately seems that way. Sad as it is to say I don't think we're gonna be seeing him again for a bit. Maybe he'll show up sometime in that potential Ben in LA book though

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Unfortunately seems that way. Sad as it is to say I don't think we're gonna be seeing him again for a bit. Maybe he'll show up sometime in that potential Ben in LA book though
    The problem is Kaine was kind of turned into a replacement Ben while Ben was still dead. Now that Ben’s back, I guess Marvel views him as redundant. I still think antihero Kaine is different enough from both Ben and Peter to justify his existence, but the powers that be can’t seem to find a use for him lately.

Incredible Member

It's been ok so far but i do wonder how much it's doing for people who aren't necessarily fans of Ben in terms of convincing them that he's an interesting enough character that they might want to continue reading about after beyond is over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The problem is Kaine was kind of turned into a replacement Ben while Ben was still dead. Now that Ben’s back, I guess Marvel views him as redundant. I still think antihero Kaine is different enough from both Ben and Peter to justify his existence, but the powers that be can’t seem to find a use for him lately.
    Probably the best thing Peter David did in his series was to use Kaine. Has he even popped up at all since then?

But this is typical Marvel. These characters have such a rich history the drama of them interacting practically writes itself

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Probably the best thing Peter David did in his series was to use Kaine. Has he even popped up at all since then?

But this is typical Marvel. These characters have such a rich history the drama of them interacting practically writes itself
    He was in Spidergeddon...I think?

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The only time Ben and Kaine were remotely alike was back in that post CC era for Ben anyways, where they both followed a similar idea of wanting to be better and whatever, even then, the way they went about it was very different.

Nowadays Ben's characterization makes him closer to Peter anyways, so there is room for Kaine if they want to bother, but I doubt they will, Kaine has been struggling to be relevant before he had to compete with bigger names like Miles or Gwen, now it's even harder, even though he's a different character from the rest, it's hard to sell another Spider, and I'm pretty sure Ben's post Beyond comic will get cancelled after like, 20 issues, as usual.

I could be wrong, maybe Beyond is enough of a push for Ben to get an on-going that isn't cancelled too fast, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    It's been ok so far but i do wonder how much it's doing for people who aren't necessarily fans of Ben in terms of convincing them that he's an interesting enough character that they might want to continue reading about after beyond is over.
    Not a Ben fan here, he's little more than a loser to me, who doesn't feel important to the overall Beyond plot despite being the fucking main character.

If this comic is trying to make someone like me interested in him, it's only making me wonder if he'd be better off dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was in Spidergeddon...I think?
    He was, his presence there retcons away the last issue of BR:SS where Ben went evil and killed Kaine.

Maybe if Marvel ever bothers to explain that plot hole they'll say that it was Ben having a nightmare, or an alternate universe, or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

A boring filler period w/ some cool stuff sprinkled throughout

I only hope this is because Zeb was focusing on his ASM run(which isn't looking promising) and that w/ Ben and Otto were done w/ replacing Peter for the next decade minimum

Astonishing Member

I think it was needed as a respite for Peter and the readers after Spencer's run. I'm kinda liking it so far. Peter deserved a rest for a few months and there some interesting ideas and in paper is a great idea for an arc (the execution has been faulty)

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    What do you think of Beyond so far
    Me Im loving it
    I liked the corporate superhero angle but Ben is poorly used outside of the Death of Doctor Strange tie in.

I would've preferred it more as an Iron Fist arc. Danny's biggest weakness is Rand Corporation. So this would give that aspect a kick in the pants and give Danny more interesting material. In recent years he's been rather bland.

But this story works more as a Spider-family story so I doubt Danny would be used better.

I was more into Kaine than Ben so I'm surprised he doesn't pop up here.