Thread: Beyond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Beyond

What do you think of Beyond so far
    Me Im loving it

its not too bad but not amazing either beyond isnt impressing me with Ben besides that first issue
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Been a big disappointment for me.

Loved: The three Zeb Wells issues, and the 3 Jed McKay issues.

Liked: The Saladin Ahmed issue, some of Ziglar's stuff.

Everything else has been kinda bleh. And in general, Ben has come out looking like an incompetent rube with no skills.

Mostly forgettable, it's been picking up in the last 3 issues or so though, time will tell if the rest will be worth a damn.

While there are comics that read better on trade, I don't think that'll be the case for Beyond, at least for the first issues, it'll make Ben's change of opinions more noticeable, same for the repetitive plot points, might not feel it's dragging as much though, but eh, I get the feeling this might be remembered as Ben's New Day, though, one that m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ gets rid of his villanous past, so maybe not BND level of damaging, even if it's still pretty boring for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Been a big disappointment for me.

Loved: The three Zeb Wells issues, and the 3 Jed McKay issues.

Liked: The Saladin Ahmed issue, some of Ziglar's stuff.

Everything else has been kinda bleh. And in general, Ben has come out looking like an incompetent rube with no skills.
    This is pretty much how I feel. The Thompson issues were…. not good. They weren’t like the worst thing ever, but it was a bad misstep having that immediately follow Wells’ strong opening.

Kaine is really never showing up, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kaine is really never showing up, huh?
    Unfortunately seems that way. Sad as it is to say I don't think we're gonna be seeing him again for a bit. Maybe he'll show up sometime in that potential Ben in LA book though

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    What do you think of Beyond so far
    Me Im loving it
    I liked the corporate superhero angle but Ben is poorly used outside of the Death of Doctor Strange tie in.

I would've preferred it more as an Iron Fist arc. Danny's biggest weakness is Rand Corporation. So this would give that aspect a kick in the pants and give Danny more interesting material. In recent years he's been rather bland.

But this story works more as a Spider-family story so I doubt Danny would be used better.

I was more into Kaine than Ben so I'm surprised he doesn't pop up here.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The idea is solid - a big, evil corporation gets "Diet Spider-man*" and uses him to their own ends, but the execution is weak and the issues themselves have mostly been the same thing recycled over and over.

After the first two issues, which felt rushed and lacking character or depth, actual progression has been glacially slow. Some issue have been downright painful to read due to appalling dialogue *cough*Otto&May*cough*.

Mostly the art has been pretty poor.

This is a quickly hashed together filler story and it really shows. As a big fan of Ben Reilly I really wanted to like this but I don't let my fandom excuse a poor/mediocre product.

On the plus side, it is probably the reason we got Ben Reilly: Spider-Man and issue #1 was fantastic.

*Sorry, but that is a hilarious line.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

i liked the first couple of issues enough

but even with my nostalgia in full swing, comic books have to compete with a lot of life stuff and other distractions in an adult's life and i haven't picked up an issue since... which might be an indication of the story's ability to grab me

think i'll wait for the tpb
    troo fan or death