Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,252

    Default How could Peacemaker's Vigilante be introduced into the comics?

    When the trailer first dropped, I, like a lot of others, assumed that the Vigilante on the show would be a Deadpool knock-off. I have never been so happy to have been completely wrong. He's rapidly become my favorite character in a show full of amazingly fun characters.

    As a result, I'd love to see this take on Vigilante in the comics. However, there's a few problems in that regard. One, the comics version of the Adrian Chase Vigilante is an almost completely different character from the one on the show. And, two, Adrian Chase committed suicide at the end of series back in the 80s.

    So, how do we solve this without negating the wonderful ending that Paul Kupperberg crafted for the back back then that really shouldn't be reversed or hand-waved away like the deaths of so many other characters?

    My solution is this. Introduce a young sociopath who's inspired to become the newest Vigilante because they both share the same name, Adrian Chase. This allows DC to have their cake and eat it, too. And, like with Wally and Wallace West, have the current Vigilante go by Addie Chase...or just only refer to him as Vigilante.

    Now, of course, all this may be moot if James Gunn decides to have Vigilante also commit suicide by the end of the series. Or kill him off. However, even if that's the case, I still think DC Comics should introduce this incarnation of Vigilante in the comics as there's a lot of potential, I think.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    When the trailer first dropped, I, like a lot of others, assumed that the Vigilante on the show would be a Deadpool knock-off. I have never been so happy to have been completely wrong. He's rapidly become my favorite character in a show full of amazingly fun characters.

    As a result, I'd love to see this take on Vigilante in the comics. However, there's a few problems in that regard. One, the comics version of the Adrian Chase Vigilante is an almost completely different character from the one on the show. And, two, Adrian Chase committed suicide at the end of series back in the 80s.

    So, how do we solve this without negating the wonderful ending that Paul Kupperberg crafted for the back back then that really shouldn't be reversed or hand-waved away like the deaths of so many other characters?

    My solution is this. Introduce a young sociopath who's inspired to become the newest Vigilante because they both share the same name, Adrian Chase. This allows DC to have their cake and eat it, too. And, like with Wally and Wallace West, have the current Vigilante go by Addie Chase...or just only refer to him as Vigilante.

    Now, of course, all this may be moot if James Gunn decides to have Vigilante also commit suicide by the end of the series. Or kill him off. However, even if that's the case, I still think DC Comics should introduce this incarnation of Vigilante in the comics as there's a lot of potential, I think.
    Best to leave Adrian dead. Just reintroduce his brother Dorian and give him the characteristics from Peacemaker

  3. #3
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Best to leave Adrian dead. Just reintroduce his brother Dorian and give him the characteristics from Peacemaker
    Absolutely. I really don't want them to ruin Kupperberg's ending. Adrian's little brother Dorian Chase would be a great alternative.

  4. #4
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29,232

    Default

    Honestly, I'm surprised he wasn't brought back a decade ago - and certainly after Arrow used him. New 52 was the perfect excuse for characters who were long dead to come back, as at the time it was supposed to be a reboot.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised he wasn't brought back a decade ago - and certainly after Arrow used him. New 52 was the perfect excuse for characters who were long dead to come back, as at the time it was supposed to be a reboot.
    That’s version didn’t resonate with fans

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    84,844

    Default

    My first take is that if they do a new Vigilante inspired by the show's take, it should definitely not be Adrian Chase. The character in the show is barely Adrian Chase as it is.

    But there have been numerous Vigilante's so you can easily just introduce a new one in the same vein as the show.

    That being said, I'm not sure if the character would quite land in the comics unless they were able to replicate the writing from the comics, which I'm unsure about. That's always the difficulty with trying to integrate a character from a media adaption with such a distinct voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    That’s version didn’t resonate with fans
    He was actually pretty popular, especially after the "reveal." Probably one of the more popular Arrowverse villains.

    It just turns out he wasn't really Adrian Chase.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    My solution is this. Introduce a young sociopath who's inspired to become the newest Vigilante because they both share the same name, Adrian Chase. This allows DC to have their cake and eat it, too. And, like with Wally and Wallace West, have the current Vigilante go by Addie Chase...or just only refer to him as Vigilante.
    I really like this little twist. It would also explain him having a costume directly based on Chase's.

    What about a play on that where we find out that's not even his actual name - that he took that name as well because he admired Vigilante so much. We should never find out who he actually is or why he does what he does - or at least tease it as long as possible. It makes me think of John Doe from "Se7en" or Nolan's Joker who had erased their own pasts. They kinda tried something along those lines with the Justin Powell Vigilante who suffered from DiD, but he was dire and tragic as opposed to the light-hearted killer on the show - more in the same mood as Adrian Chase, but not as interesting because it was just a mini.

    That said, the character works really well on the show as part of an ensemble, as this premise would be problematic for the lead and would at least need others to bounce off of.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-28-2022 at 03:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised he wasn't brought back a decade ago - and certainly after Arrow used him. New 52 was the perfect excuse for characters who were long dead to come back, as at the time it was supposed to be a reboot.
    They did that Southland mini series with a new Vigilante. But they didn't take. Probably for the best too.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Captain Nostalgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    When the trailer first dropped, I, like a lot of others, assumed that the Vigilante on the show would be a Deadpool knock-off. I have never been so happy to have been completely wrong. He's rapidly become my favorite character in a show full of amazingly fun characters.

    As a result, I'd love to see this take on Vigilante in the comics. However, there's a few problems in that regard. One, the comics version of the Adrian Chase Vigilante is an almost completely different character from the one on the show. And, two, Adrian Chase committed suicide at the end of series back in the 80s.

    So, how do we solve this without negating the wonderful ending that Paul Kupperberg crafted for the back back then that really shouldn't be reversed or hand-waved away like the deaths of so many other characters?

    My solution is this. Introduce a young sociopath who's inspired to become the newest Vigilante because they both share the same name, Adrian Chase. This allows DC to have their cake and eat it, too. And, like with Wally and Wallace West, have the current Vigilante go by Addie Chase...or just only refer to him as Vigilante.

    Now, of course, all this may be moot if James Gunn decides to have Vigilante also commit suicide by the end of the series. Or kill him off. However, even if that's the case, I still think DC Comics should introduce this incarnation of Vigilante in the comics as there's a lot of potential, I think.
    The timeline Adrian Chase committed suicide in, isn't really relevant (Hence both Vic Sage, Ted Kord) and other heroes who had previously died have already been rebooted.

    I would just say bring back Adrian Chase, and add the traits from the tv show....I'm sure ole school hardcore fans would just be happy to see him back in any fashion after 30 some years.

  10. #10
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,578

    Default

    Adrian from the Dark Multiverse

  11. #11
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    84,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    The timeline Adrian Chase committed suicide in, isn't really relevant (Hence both Vic Sage, Ted Kord) and other heroes who had previously died have already been rebooted.

    I would just say bring back Adrian Chase, and add the traits from the tv show....I'm sure ole school hardcore fans would just be happy to see him back in any fashion after 30 some years.
    I dunno how you'd reconcile comic Adrian Chase with Peacemaker!Adrian Chase unless you just say he went insane.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Introduced to join the squad ? He would not be a great villain for present day titans.

  13. #13
    Incredible Member Captain Nostalgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno how you'd reconcile comic Adrian Chase with Peacemaker!Adrian Chase unless you just say he went insane.
    Errr good point. I just read his appearances in Vigilante and....they don't seem to be the best of friends do they?.... to put things lightly.

    Interesting how the DCU works, they reboot timelines but they seem to keep all their memories through the decades (Example Ollie and Hal still remembering their roadtrips)

    At any rate I think it's great that James Gunn has brought two relatively obscure heroes back into the limelight.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno how you'd reconcile comic Adrian Chase with Peacemaker!Adrian Chase unless you just say he went insane.
    Or he survived his suicide attempt but his brain was damaged.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,932

    Default

    The Adrian Chase era Vigilante book was so, so, *so* good for its day. Chase's gradual unraveling, his eventual end. It all hangs together to this day very well. I'd be fine with a rebooted Adrian Chase, of course. Nothing is going to 'take away' that book, obviously, and almost nothing that DC is today is built on it (more's the pity, imo) and the very idea of 'Dorian Chase is just goofy AF. Just reboot Adrian's story. Say in the new continuity, he took Batman's offer and vanished. I don't know. Heck, he even got an appeal out of his actions in Day of Judgment, so maybe angels brought him back and asked him to be THEIR vigilante and we can make fun of an entire Punisher era. :P
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-28-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •