Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Gentleman of Crime: Penguin Appreciation 2022

Oswald Cobblepott, he is one of the hardest Bat villains to get right. A portly and rather goofy looking fellow, he doesn't have the look to be a proper physical threat to Batman. Thus the character has had many characterizations over the years; a mutated mess, a brutish mobster, a criminal genius, a simple informant, and more. He's the perfect middle point between the old school mobster that Gotham has had for most of its history, and the garish, gaudy themed criminals that the city (and comics in general) seems to breed.

In this thread we appreciate the man who has the brilliant mind to find a way to commit ornithologically themed crimes. If you are dining outside and getting ready to pay your dinner bill and a seemingly random falcon swoops down and snatches your wallet as you pull it out, there could be only one man behind that. With the man getting ready to make a second cinematic splash (and I hope he stays around for sequels) we have a lot to discuss.

The Fowl Prince of Crime .

Incredible Member

Really excited to see him in The Batman! He looks great! Hopefully he sticks around as a consistent presence in this version of Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Fowl Prince of Crime .
    Indeed. Hoping 2022 will prove to be an avaricious year for Ozzy

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Really excited to see him in The Batman! He looks great! Hopefully he sticks around as a consistent presence in this version of Gotham.
    And he's apparently getting his own spinoff...

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    He looks oddly cute here .

Mighty Member

Wasn't there a story where Oswald went legit (I know there's a few times this happened but bear with me) where he was hiring ex cons to work for him? I think something like that could technically be used for Penguin to hire some of the smaller fun Bat rogues that don't get any action (i.e. the eraser, planet master, the clock etc.) and lend their services out for other criminals in Gotham. It'd be the perfect blend of mobster and super criminal.

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.

Penguin1982.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.

Penguin1982.jpg
    I'm kind of wondering about the consistency of Penguin's fatness...

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Remember the days when Oswald Cobbelpot was unquestionably Batman's second greatest enemy right behind the clown?

I much prefer him as the King of Gotham to the overrated Black Mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    Remember the days when Oswald Cobbelpot was unquestionably Batman's second greatest enemy right behind the clown?

I much prefer him as the King of Gotham to the overrated Black Mask.
    I feel like after Joker it's Two-Face/Penguin/Riddler.

At least of the normal Rogues because then you've got Ra's and Bane.

Extraordinary Member

I always thought a Bob Hoskins approach to the character would've been really good. Hoskins has played a multitude of intimidating and downright scary British gangsters throughout the years. That said, I'm really looking forward to Farrell's performance (although I am kind of apprehensive about the typical Italian mobster approach, but I'll keep an open mind).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Love this PENGUIN art for this 2022 Batman Calendar.

Penguin22.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And he's apparently getting his own spinoff...
    Posted by DC earlier this month,
    Colin Farrell's Penguin is Coming to HBO Max
    By Tim Beedle
    Wednesday, March 9th, 2022

SPOILER ALERT: The following article includes some light spoilers for The Batman.

Who says Penguins can’t fly?

Hot off his scene-stealing performance in this weekend’s $258-million global hit The Batman, Colin Farrell’s Penguin is finally moving up the ranks in the first officially greenlit follow-up project to the Matt Reeves film. Describe as a “limited series,” The Penguin (which is a working title and could change) has been given a straight-to-series order by HBO Max.

Starring Colin Farrell as Oswald Cobblepot, The Penguin will expand upon the world that Reeves created for the film, centering on the classic Bat-villain, who was reimagined as more of a traditional crime boss in The Batman. The series will be executive produced by Matt Reeves, Dylan Clark, Collin Farrell and Lauren LeFranc, who will serve as writer and showrunner for the series. The Penguin will be produced by Reeves’ 6th & Idaho Productions and Dylan Clark Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. 6th & Idaho’s Daniel Pipski and Adam Kassan will also serve as executive producers, with Rafi Crohn as co-executive producer.

“Colin exploded off the screen as the Penguin in The Batman, and having the chance to thoroughly explore the inner life of that character on HBO Max is an absolute thrill,” said Reeves in the press release. “Dylan and I are so excited to work with Lauren in continuing Oz’s story as he grabs violently for power in Gotham.”

“The world that Matt Reeves created for The Batman is one that warrants a deeper gaze through the eyes of Oswald Cobblepot,” added Farrell. “I couldn’t be more excited about continuing this exploration of Oz as he rises through the darkened ranks to become The Penguin. Will be good to get him back on the streets of Gotham for a little madness and a little mayhem.”

Story details are still to be revealed, but it’s easy to speculate on where the show might go to anyone who’s seen the film . . .

If you want to read the rest, https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2022/0...ing-to-hbo-max