Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Legend of Vox Machina

Very R rated animated series on Amazon Prime. Based on a Roll Playing game.

I know nothing about this game or Critical Role. But saw the firs three episodes. While I am sure I missed a lot of Easter Eggs, I could follow the story and characters without a problem. And it was good. Exciting animation and funny. It earns the "R" with language, violence and adult situations.

Anybody else watching?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm an avid DnD player and have watched Critical Role, so I was looking forward to this. After watching the first 3 episodes, I have to say it's pretty great! The plot is a bit "by the numbers" for that's ok since a lot of the audience won't be familiar with the game. That being said, the animation, action and character interactions are all fantastic.

Vex is my favorite character.

Ultimate Member

I like it so far

I've been interested in Critical Role ever since I learned it was a thing involving some of my favorite voice actors and now it's in a form that I am much more readily able to consume...a cartoon .

We've been slowly but steadily getting more and more adult animated cartoons and I'm always happy to see more! Especially with solid production values from Titmouse (who I feel are very underrated as an animation studio) and an enjoyable story. We have a ton of stories about a ragtag bunch of crass and messed up misfits who have to become heroes through circumstances while still being chaotic and talking @#$% about each other, but when told well it still gets you invested in the story and the cast .

I like Keyleth. Maybe it's being the adorable, anxious, redheaded mage girl who can't hold her liquor but she's just really likeable and endearing for me. She had some really good lines...well, actually, everyone in the group had at least one good line per episode, but still .

I'm kind of wondering what Pike's deal is because she comes off like a Paladin with Holy powers (that she can only use so much of) but seems like she might have had a falling out with her religious order and didn't get all the training or pedigree she was supposed to have had.

So far the show seems like a genuine ensemble with no real "main" character among the group. Vax and Vex kind of seems like the de-facto leader, and Vex the "brains" of the party, but that's about it.

Grog is a very Travis Willingham character.

Scanlon and Pike...is there something there? I mean, Scanlon flirts with everybody but Pike is the only one in the party he seems interested in. On her part Pike seemed more receptive in the first episode than when he asked her to be his date in the 3rd episode. Although would it be too obvious to pair the two dwarfs together?

Between this and Dota: Dragon's Blood, a lot of CG dragons are flying around on streaming shows. I guess dragons are kind of like Mecha in that it's just much easier to animate them with CG than traditional animation. Speaking of Dota: Dragon's Blood, Vex having a huge bear mount reminded me of Mirana who too was an archer with a big cat mount Sagan. Although the only thing Vex and Mirana have in common are their British accents and being absolutely gorgeous.

I did not have David Tennant as an evil dragon-posing-as-a-human on my bingo card today, but it was pretty cool. How long was he planning this? Has he been posing as a human for centuries to facilitate his plan and put him in a position where he could help overthrow and take down the kingdom? I wonder if anyone would have noticed him randomly disappearing whenever the dragon attacked, although I guess the red herring on the council seemed to have a clue.

I wonder if Allura is going to continue to be the groups' biggest sponsor on the council, given she seems to keep interacting with them on a more intimate level than the rest even if she too is a little put off by their antics.

It's always the serious, proper, ones who the darkest and most vicious hidden side...did the Briarwoods turn him into a death dealer with the mask and everything or did that happen after he escaped and was part of how he survived?

How many animals can Keyleth transform into? The Opening and the 3 episodes at least gives her two.

Jeez, Vox Machina sure went from becoming respected (well, for a given definition of respect) heroes to being arrested pretty quick. I guess that's just their lot in life. And they dressed so nicely for the party too...

Just 2 points of clarification. Pike is a cleric and a gnome, not a dwarf paladin. Scanlon is also a gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Just 2 points of clarification. Pike is a cleric and a gnome, not a dwarf paladin. Scanlon is also a gnome.
    Thanks for the clarification .

So this was awesome.

Next 3 episodes are up! This is dark but that’s to be expected considering the villains are a necromancer and a vampire. Seems like they’re setting Pike up to make a triumphant return and save them all. She’s a cleric and those are a MUST when facing vamps and the like.

Vex continues to be my favorite but she really needs to chill out when it comes to her brother.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Vex continues to be my favorite but she really needs to chill out when it comes to her brother.
    Anyone else get a Cersei flash when she was talking to her brother about Keyleth?
    Sounds perfect.

I got into Crit Role during the pandemic, and my wife quickly became an even bigger fan than me. We've both been D&D players since the early 80s. She watched all of campaign 1 and 2 (while I caught parts of it and caught up with recaps when she would get ahead of me), and we were both very much looking forward to the show. It perfectly captures the essence of the Vox Machina campaign (campaign 1) so far, even with the necessary changes to adapt and condense a sprawling livestream game into twelve 22-25 minutes episodes for the first season.

Addressing some of the questions asked, but trying not to spoil anything

Keyleth and shapechanging-in game Keyleth is a druid and druids can wildshape i.e. take the form of an animal a certain number of times per day based on how powerful (what level) they are. They must be familiar with the creature and there are game limits on what types of animals based on how powerful the creature is. So as long as Keyleth has seen the animal she can take its shape (we've only seen a few so far, though I am waiting to see if the goldfish incident is included in later seasons).

Allura-in the streaming game there was a lot more pre-Briarwood interaction with Allura to win her trust and support, so I am not sure how it will work out in show, but she remained a recurring ally throughout the livestream.

Scanlon and Pike-wait and see. Some elsewhere have wondered about Pike and Grog, that's more an adopted brother/sister kind of thing (in stream Pike's grandfather took Grog in when he was expelled from his tribe and Pike and Grog became close friends). Scanlon and Pike is a will they won't they kind of thing with lots of twists and turns in stream, but have to see how it is played in the series.

Vex and Vax-no GoT type relationship there, but they are close, and were in a position where they only had each other to trust, rely on and confide in, so yes some jealousy on Vex's part with Vax's attraction to Keyleth, but not Cersei like. It's more like I am losing my best friend to the girlfriend than that. There's a new (and awesome according to my wife, I haven't gotten to it yet) book/audio book called Kith and Kin exploring the history of Vex and Vax pre-streaming game. Laura Bailey and Lim O'Brien do the voices of Vex and Vax in the audiobook (narration by Robby Daymond who is part of campaign 3 of Critical Role).

As for Pike's powers/role-in the stream Pike was in and out of the story because Ashley Johnson was filming Blindspot for a large part of it an was unavailable at times to be a part of the livestream, so the story accommodated her coming and going in various ways. This had to be adjusted and adapted for the animated series, and the arc with her leaving to cleanse herself is a way to include that element but make it have some narrative sense. We will have to wait and see how it plays out in the series.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Spectacular Member

The first story arc reminded me a little of Netflix's show A TALE DARK AND GRIMM. It was entertaining. Nothing groundbreaking, but it is really well-paced.

Allura may be exasperated with Vox Machina, but she's still a cool head willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and keep them under House Arrest (which isn't a house actually getting arrested Grog) instead of in a dungeon and see that maybe something is going on with the Briarwoods.

Guest star party member in the Captain of the Guard.

Jeez, those wraith-like things don't mess around. What they were doing to people was horrifying.

Only the fourth episode and Vox Machina's keep is trashed and Pike leaves the party (although it seems like she'll be back by the climax of this arc).

I love how no one can agree on who the leader of the party is, although it seems like Vex takes a more direct role when necessary and the de-facto head, more or less.

I think I remember from the Vox Machina: Origin comics that Grog and Pike were together before they met the rest of the group.

Seems like their setting up that the siblings' ultimate loyalty is to each other instead of the group, implying they might eventually cut and run if the need arises, although they keep throwing their lot in with Vox Machina in-spite of themselves. Also, on-top of a dead mom, they also have a terrible relationship with their father.

Relationships brewing: Scanlon seemed really bummed Pike left, Vax and Keyleth can barely keep their eyes off of each other (and Vex isn't a fan and thinks it's going to end badly), Vex and Percy have a nice banter and rapport, and Percy and Keyleth really seemed to bond over their difficult family circumstances.

All that money spent on the perfect gear to hunt down monsters and they end up losing pretty much all of it. Such is the lot for Vox Machina.

Female Scanon...I just, female Scanlon.

I don't know what stood out to me more, the two heads on that woman Scanlon was Scanlon-ing or Laura Bailey making sex noises.

Are the Briarwoods trying to build some kind of temple to summon a Dark God they worship? Whatever their endgame, nothing cements them as sadistic @#$% quite like killing innocent people and stringing them up as Vox Machina to set an example. I hope someone eventually cut down those poor people.

Vox Machina and doors sure do have a wonderful relationship...not that Percy is much better with windows.

So if it's not the curse that's preventing Pike from communicating with the Everlight, what's the problem? It seems like there is some issue with her faith or she did something she feels guilty over that's preventing her from reaching her true potential and connection with the Everlight.

Percy having the names engraved of everyone he wants to kill was on-point, and while I was expecting a bigger fight with that hammer guy, Percy just unloading on him was pretty satisfying. Hopefully he gets to unload on all his targets.

Nothing upends your quest for vengeance quite like learning your sister is still alive...although it seems like the Briarwoods have either brainwashed or molded Cassandra into serving them, so I don't think this family reunion is going to go well for Percy.

I'm watching a enjoying it, although I am not fully caught up as I am also dealing with stuff that has been sitting to long in my watchlist backlog.
    Dark does not mean deep.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

No idea about the D&D background or web series, streams, campaigns, and whatever else. I just came in looking at this as a fun animated show and that's what I am getting out of it. Enjoyed these eps and ready for more.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Loved the season finale, and cannot wait for season 2. This was everything I hoped it would be and more.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato