Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post DC Characters that are popular only in media/movies/TV

Name a DC characters that is popular only in the outside media. The character is not big name in the comics but become popular which it transit to the media.

I can list anything that are not related with the Batfamily or the Trinity characters who got popular only in the media than the print comics.

For me, Doom Patrol, Stargirl, JSA or any CW shows that are not focusing with the Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman related at all.

P.S The answer is very easy if you are comic book fan and also a movie-goers.

You would think Conner Kent wouldn't be popular in the actual comics by the way DC has been burying him. His popularity from young justice and Titans is very apparent, but DC won't take advantage of it
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

What always has to be mentioned in these discussions is the obvious differences regarding fans of comics compared to other mediums. The latter tend to be far more diverse, so what can work there in regard to popularity might not work as well as a comic book.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

Despite being a character contained to back-up features and team-ups in the 1970s and 1980s, Christopher Chance (created by Len Wein and Carmine Infantino, he looked like George Peppard in his BANACEK days), the HUMAN TARGET nevertheless won his own T.V. series in 1992, starring Rick Springfield. Granted this series had a short run, but based on his comic book appearances, one wouldn't expect this character to have his own television show. As a result of that show, Chance finally got his own one-shot comic book.

Later (in the early 2000s) Vertigo used the character in his own comic book run, before going back into limbo once again. Then for the 2010 - 2011 T.V. season, a new HUMAN TARGET series appeared on the screen, this time starring Mark Valley. This one lasted a little longer than the first series, but still only had one season. And out of that came a limited comic book run.

My guess is the Human Target is a lot easier to do than some super-hero. He's just a detective type character with a cool hook. It's a series that can be done on a modest budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Despite being a character contained to back-up features and team-ups in the 1970s and 1980s, Christopher Chance (created by Len Wein and Carmine Infantino, he looked like George Peppard in his BANACEK days), the HUMAN TARGET nevertheless won his own T.V. series in 1992, starring Rick Springfield. Granted this series had a short run, but based on his comic book appearances, one wouldn't expect this character to have his own television show. As a result of that show, Chance finally got his own one-shot comic book.

Later (in the early 2000s) Vertigo used the character in his own comic book run, before going back into limbo once again. Then for the 2010 - 2011 T.V. season, a new HUMAN TARGET series appeared on the screen, this time starring Mark Valley. This one lasted a little longer than the first series, but still only had one season. And out of that came a limited comic book run.

My guess is the Human Target is a lot easier to do than some super-hero. He's just a detective type character with a cool hook. It's a series that can be done on a modest budget.
    Agreed. Nemesis would work a lot better on TV, too.

the John Cena character who just got an HBO Max show from the latest Suicide Squad movie
    The J-man

Vibe
    Vixen

El Diablo.

Retired

The selection of Aquaman for THE SUPERMAN/AQUAMAN HOUR OF ADVENTURE in the 1967 - 68 Saturday morning cartoon season was a real head-scratcher for me. Granted he was well into the run of his own bi-monthly comic book, after years of being strictly a second banana hero. And they couldn't use Batman on account of rights issues. But Aquaman out of all the other super-heroes--this stumped me and still does. They must have had a good reason for choosing him over Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Atom, Plastic Man, Metamorpho. Wonder Woman was probably optioned for her own live action series by then, but why Aquaman?

And, it seems to me, this decision was a crucial one for the character. Having already been done in animation once, Aquaman became an obvious choice for the SUPER FRIENDS cartoon in 1973, which is probably why he muscled out other contenders for the team. And that long run on Saturday morning T.V. is probably why he both became a joke, but also became a recognizable name to public. That name recognition was his ticket to getting a billion dollar box office big screen feature.

Artemis - Tigress
    The whole Legends of Tomorrow team besides Constantine

The selection of Aquaman for THE SUPERMAN/AQUAMAN HOUR OF ADVENTURE in the 1967 - 68 Saturday morning cartoon season was a real head-scratcher for me. Granted he was well into the run of his own bi-monthly comic book, after years of being strictly a second banana hero. And they couldn't use Batman on account of rights issues. But Aquaman out of all the other super-heroes--this stumped me and still does. They must have had a good reason for choosing him over Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Atom, Plastic Man, Metamorpho. Wonder Woman was probably optioned for her own live action series by then, but why Aquaman?

And, it seems to me, this decision was a crucial one for the character. Having already been done in animation once, Aquaman became an obvious choice for the SUPER FRIENDS cartoon in 1973, which is probably why he muscled out other contenders for the team. And that long run on Saturday morning T.V. is probably why he both became a joke, but also became a recognizable name to public. That name recognition was his ticket to getting a billion dollar box office big screen feature.
    Sales-wise, I would have to think Flash would have been the logical choice. Wonder Woman would also have to be included in the discussion based on status as the greatest superheroine, though I believe she was embargoed at that time (due to that horrible TV pilot). Beyond that, did GL sell more than Aquaman and by a significant amount? The rest would have to wait in line.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Sales-wise, I would have to think Flash would have been the logical choice. Wonder Woman would also have to be included in the discussion based on status as the greatest superheroine, though I believe she was embargoed at that time (due to that horrible TV pilot). Beyond that, did GL sell more than Aquaman and by a significant amount? The rest would have to wait in line.
    Going by how many titles they had and the frequency of those titles (leaving out team books) in 1967, my back of a matchbook calculation is it goes like this: Superman, Batman (with Robin), Superboy, Flash, Green Lantern tied with Robby Reed & Martian Manhunter (in HOUSE OF MYSTERY), Wonder Woman, then a tie between Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, Metamorpho and Plastic Man (each with bi-montly titles). Supergirl and Elongated were only back-up features, but they did appear in ACTION COMIC and DETECTIVE COMICS, which were monthlies, so maybe they deserve to be ahead of some others. HOUSE OF MYSTERY was eight times a year and if you consider Robby Reed the lead and Martian Manhunter as just a back-up, then J'Onn deserves to be near the bottom. Robby Reed would have been an interesting Saturday morning cartoon--but challenging because of all the different character designs.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    You would think Conner Kent wouldn't be popular in the actual comics by the way DC has been burying him. His popularity from young justice and Titans is very apparent, but DC won't take advantage of it
    Is it ? It’s not like Connor or superboy are ever trending?
    His biggest highlight was his solo episode in titans, however he’s on team that won’t allow him to do much because it be to easy.

Going by how many titles they had and the frequency of those titles (leaving out team books) in 1967, my back of a matchbook calculation is it goes like this: Superman, Batman (with Robin), Superboy, Flash, Green Lantern tied with Robby Reed & Martian Manhunter (in HOUSE OF MYSTERY), Wonder Woman, then a tie between Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, Metamorpho and Plastic Man (each with bi-montly titles). Supergirl and Elongated were only back-up features, but they did appear in ACTION COMIC and DETECTIVE COMICS, which were monthlies, so maybe they deserve to be ahead of some others. HOUSE OF MYSTERY was eight times a year and if you consider Robby Reed the lead and Martian Manhunter as just a back-up, then J'Onn deserves to be near the bottom. Robby Reed would have been an interesting Saturday morning cartoon--but challenging because of all the different character designs.
    Looks like we're in agreement, though I didn't realize House of Mystery was as popular as Green Lantern. Not that I'm truly surprised, since Robby Reed was a great character (though he was gone by the time I was reading the magazine - by then, it was a horror anthology).

Everyone outside of the main Leaguers. Titans are huge outside of comics, but the franchise hasn’t been popular within comics in decades.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/