Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Joker 2

My guess the actors got a big pay raise ballooning the budget like the fast movies. They didn't sign him up for a part 2 and last movie made a billion better believe he want a pay raise!

Just hope we get an original script this time.

I wish people who made the claim that Joker was rip-off of Taxi Driver had actually seen the original movie. It's such a shameless critique repeated in bad faith to dismiss the movie and you know the people saying this won't tolerate the same accusation labelled against their favourite MCU flick.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I wish people who made the claim that Joker was rip-off of Taxi Driver had actually seen the original movie. It's such a shameless critique repeated in bad faith to dismiss the movie and you know the people saying this won't tolerate the same accusation labelled against their favourite MCU flick.
    But... the Joker did have a lot of similarities to "Taxi Driver" and "King of Comedy."(thinking of "KoC" now, I actually can't help but think of the Sandra Bernhard character as an AU Harley) I'm sure there are some bad faith players out there, but to assume that anyone of that opinion is doing it in bad faith is just your way of dismissing the criticism simply because you don't agree. (sounds like you're assuming they're just MCU zombies from the sound of it?)

People call it a rip off as a generalized way of saying it borrows heavily from Taxi Driver, as well as King of Comedy. And that is undisputable.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Saw the movie. It was taxi driver with a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    People call it a rip off as a generalized way of saying it borrows heavily from Taxi Driver, as well as King of Comedy. And that is undisputable.
    It's definitely inspired by those but I wouldn't say borrows heavily at all the plots ends story are totally different that's undisputable.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It's definitely inspired by those but I wouldn't say borrows heavily at all the plots ends story are totally different that's undisputable.
    A movie can "borrow heavily" from another and still have a different ending. Either way, the terms "inspired by", "borrowed heavily", "ripped off" are not worth splitting hairs over anyway - a lot still boils down to subjective viewing experiences - whether one sees the similarities or not, and the relative impact those similarities had on one's view of the film overall, etc.

I really liked The Joker but there’s no denying that it was heavily “inspired by” Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. Not just the setting and time period. I mean they even cast DeNiro as the comedian that the main character idolizes. It was pretty much an intentional homage to King of Comedy.

Maybe people who claim that it wasn’t “inspired by” those movies haven’t seen both/either of them?
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-05-2024 at 04:13 PM.

The director flat out said he was doing a Scorsese movie. I saw Taxi Driver when it came out. As well as King of Comedy, another movie he "borrowed from?
    It is a proper critique of a terribly derivative movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah, I know the film is based on Martin Scorsese's work and...? It seems to me the only difference between a 'homage' and a 'rip-off' is whether or not you personally like that film.

Saying something is derivative is just not a meaningful criticism, less so when its the only stated criticism which seems to be the flag everybody that dislikes this film rallies behind. It strikes me as a thought-terminating cliche; it's derivative, therefore its bad. Don't think about how this film differs from the original material that inspired it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I know the film is based on Martin Scorsese's work and...? It seems to me the only difference between a 'homage' and a 'rip-off' is whether or not you personally like that film.

Saying something is derivative is just not a meaningful criticism, less so when its the only stated criticism which seems to be the flag everybody that dislikes this film rallies behind. It strikes me as a thought-terminating cliche; it's derivative, therefore its bad. Don't think about how this film differs from the original material that inspired it.
    I agree homage or even rip-off shouldn't necessarily be a dirty word when talking about a movie, when we and the creators are now decades deep in pop culture and influences. The ultimate example might be Star Wars, done after George Lucas couldn't do Flash Gordon.

The will not have to(and, possibly, never will have to...) because no MCU Film will ever lift from another film as heavily as Joker lifted from the films in question.

As for this...

It is just not the case.

Velvet Goldmine?

It is a homage because one could pretty easily miss that it uses the framework from Citizen Kane, but it doesn't hit you over the head like a brick when it does.

Joker?

Yeah, it is hitting you right across the head with what it is clearly lifting from.

Astonishing Member

This should be a generational thing but I've never talked to, or heard people (not online) about how Joker is a Scorsese riff. I instead attended packed showings to the tune of a billion dollar box office, to the point teenagers in the parking lot wondered if it could be a prequel to the Matt Reeves Batman movie. If the movie works, it works.

Going back to the budget, Gaga's paycheck shouldn't have come cheap either since the marketing is much about her.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    A movie can "borrow heavily" from another and still have a different ending. Either way, the terms "inspired by", "borrowed heavily", "ripped off" are not worth splitting hairs over anyway - a lot still boils down to subjective viewing experiences - whether one sees the similarities or not, and the relative impact those similarities had on one's view of the film overall, etc.
    To me there's a big difference between inspired and borrow heavily and ripped off. It didn't just have a different ending though the whole thing is vastly different.....