Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Joker 2

Oh, that is far from my ONLY criticism of Joker. But that was hashed and rehashed in that movie's thread.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Yeah, I know the film is based on Martin Scorsese's work and...? It seems to me the only difference between a 'homage' and a 'rip-off' is whether or not you personally like that film.

Saying something is derivative is just not a meaningful criticism, less so when its the only stated criticism which seems to be the flag everybody that dislikes this film rallies behind. It strikes me as a thought-terminating cliche; it's derivative, therefore its bad. Don't think about how this film differs from the original material that inspired it.
    So, if only ten people didn't like the movie because they thought it was derivative their opinions would mean more than if thousands of people had the same reaction? You know this is subjective, right? As I said before, it's just the level to which one's personal experience of the film is impacted by the similarities vs. their differences. If for you the differences were where you found the value of the film and made for a different enough experience, that's great. But Why do you refuse to see that maybe for some, the similarities impacted their experience in a way that overshadowed the differences? The criticism is meaningful, even if you don't agree with it, because people are telling you their opinions that this is how they experienced the film. Nobody's saying you can't honestly think the film is good, but you seem intent on saying that people can't honestly dislike it for being derivative or (in their opinion) unoriginal.

What time does the trailer drop?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I actually liked 'The Joker'. I'll probably give the sequel a try.

I mean just because it's a rip-off doesn't mean it has to be bad. Transformers is a rip-off of gobots but many people love transformers. Fast and the f first movie was complete shameless plot by plot rip-off of point blank but people still liked it. Ghostbusters is a rip-off of filmations ghostbusters. Avator rip-off ferngully, dances with wolfs, and the robot fight in alien at the same time! Hunger games ripped off battle royal.

Harry potter rip-offed worst witch, smurfs littlest witch and book of magic. Sky high was a nasty copy of hero high.

If i liked or didn't like joker it was not that it was a shameless rip-off it was is the movie any good to me.

I do give extra points when they admit what parts are taken from. They did say joker took from these things before hand. Lucas did say he took stuff from other things for star wars. The uncle scrooge story the builder scene from raiders of the lost ark was took from had a intro by steven s in the graphic novel reprint. Nolan gave credit to the anime movie he took from for inception but loses points for not also calling out the uncle scrooge story he swiped from for that movie. Vin gave the credit for his jump car from one building to another in a fast movie scene to a detective conan movie he watched.

On the other hand, you get crap like little man a shameless rip-off of a bugs bunny cartoon that didn't give credit to it and got a raazzie for worst rip-off for its trouble.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-09-2024 at 05:56 AM.

There are many reasons Joker is a terrible movie, being a rip-off isn't one of them. I don't think anyone in this thread said that either. In fact, the Scorcese inspiration is what elevates the movie.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really liked The Joker but there’s no denying that it was heavily “inspired by” Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy.
    I loved Joker and agree that those 2 films heavily inspired it. Going for Scorcese worked and I couldn't believe it. Took from those, felt like Scorcese, but was cleverly different enough, just a great effective homage.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What time does the trailer drop?
    Trailer drops at 630
    https://www.indystar.com/story/enter...n/73258705007/

Welp, I'm sold.

This looks bonkers.

Is it me or was that pure imagination at one point in the trailer?

So this version of Harley seems to be a inmate from the start, at least going by the trailer.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Is it me or was that pure imagination at one point in the trailer?
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The only Harley ship that matters. This is going to make a lot of money
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Well, I really loved Phoenix performance in the first one, and this looks to continue the same level of excellence. The unreliable narration stuff doesn't thrill me, as it didn't in the first film, but I guess its good we know it going in this time.

Just as a comparison - the teaser trailer for Joker (the first one):

The final product was fairly well represented, I thought.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-09-2024 at 10:53 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.