Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 252

Thread: Joker 2

  1. #196
    Ultimate Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    How did this movie go from $60 mil to $200 million?
    It did? I know nothing about this movie, but usually that kinda thing happens when the studio sees what's been filmed and decide they have a hit on their hands so they throw more money at it to let the director go all out. (the first one making a billion dollars certainly helps) In this case, perhaps to plus up a bunch of musical numbers or large set pieces? Perhaps to get the rights to some of the songs they want to cover.

  2. #197
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It did? I know nothing about this movie, but usually that kinda thing happens when the studio sees what's been filmed and decide they have a hit on their hands so they throw more money at it to let the director go all out. (the first one making a billion dollars certainly helps) In this case, perhaps to plus up a bunch of musical numbers or large set pieces? Perhaps to get the rights to some of the songs they want to cover.
    Are top song rights that expensive? I've seen Cruella was supposed to be $100 to $200 million budgeted. The former makes a lot more sense to me regarding the movie, which wasn't cheap looking but more in line with Wonka, a showy musical that cost $125 million, but Cruella used songs from Queen, The Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, The Doors, Nancy Sinatra, etc.

  3. #198
    Ultimate Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Are top song rights that expensive? I've seen Cruella was supposed to be $100 to $200 million budgeted. The former makes a lot more sense to me regarding the movie, which wasn't cheap looking but more in line with Wonka, a showy musical that cost $125 million, but Cruella used songs from Queen, The Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, The Doors, Nancy Sinatra, etc.
    Yeah, song rights wouldn't explain the entirety of going from 60M to 200M, but I was just guessing it could've been one aspect of the film they decided to throw more money at once they got going.

  4. #199

    Default

    The movie being a jukebox musical is quite underwhelming for me. As someone who didnít like the first film but felt the musical aspect of Thor sequel could be interesting, it just seems lazier to me now.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 03-27-2024 at 01:53 AM.

  5. #200
    Mighty Member James Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Official poster. Trailer drops on April 9th



    that title logo is awful...
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

  6. #201
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    6,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It did? I know nothing about this movie, but usually that kinda thing happens when the studio sees what's been filmed and decide they have a hit on their hands so they throw more money at it to let the director go all out. (the first one making a billion dollars certainly helps) In this case, perhaps to plus up a bunch of musical numbers or large set pieces? Perhaps to get the rights to some of the songs they want to cover.
    I have no idea about this movie, but in general, when a movie's budget balloons like that, it is a result of studio execs watching the footage and deciding it's terrible and ordering massive reshoots. This movie? Who knows.

  7. #202
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Official poster. Trailer drops on April 9th



    that title logo is awful...
    Looks OK to me...

  8. #203
    Mighty Member James Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Looks OK to me...
    FOLIEJOKAEDEUXR

    it's overcomplicated and corny
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

  9. #204
    Mighty Member James Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I have no idea about this movie, but in general, when a movie's budget balloons like that, it is a result of studio execs watching the footage and deciding it's terrible and ordering massive reshoots. This movie? Who knows.
    To clarify my earlier post about the budget-- the original Joker movie's budget was $60 million, and this movie's budget is now over $200 million. So it's not that there was a budget increase during production of this movie - though there may have been, that's not what I was talking about.

    It could be for the song rights, Joaquin demanding a higher pay after winning an Oscar for his performance in the first one, or just a response to the first movie's massive success so they can now go all out with elaborate set pieces, musical sequences, etc. I would say it's likely a combination of all three, because that really is a significant jump. It's basically $10 million or so shy from an MCU movie budget.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

  10. #205
    Ultimate Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    To clarify my earlier post about the budget-- the original Joker movie's budget was $60 million, and this movie's budget is now over $200 million. So it's not that there was a budget increase during production of this movie - though there may have been, that's not what I was talking about.

    It could be for the song rights, Joaquin demanding a higher pay after winning an Oscar for his performance in the first one, or just a response to the first movie's massive success so they can now go all out with elaborate set pieces, musical sequences, etc. I would say it's likely a combination of all three, because that really is a significant jump. It's basically $10 million or so shy from an MCU movie budget.
    Ooh - I know! The budget increase is because of ... Batfleck! We're gonna see Batman doin' a dance and singing "Love Don't Cost a Thing" alongside J-Lo who's playing Batgirl which is the real reason the Batgirl film got shelved, so as to not step on JLo's toes.

  11. #206
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    FOLIEJOKAEDEUXR

    it's overcomplicated and corny
    I mean it looks alright to me I bet most people won't care I mostly don't care what titles look like..

  12. #207
    Mighty Member James Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I mean it looks alright to me I bet most people won't care I mostly don't care what titles look like..
    to each their own my friend
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

  13. #208
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Arkham, Mass (lol no)
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    The use of music in the first film was one of the keys to making that first film work, so, despite not being much of a musical type fan, I'm keeping an open mind. I have to trust Todd for now.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

    Grant Morrison: ďAdults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.Ē

  14. #209
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,085

    Default

    Well Martin Scorsese has only directed one musical so Phillips doesn’t have a lot to pull from. So he could be in trouble

  15. #210
    Ultimate Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well Martin Scorsese has only directed one musical so Phillips doesn’t have a lot to pull from. So he could be in trouble
    Maybe he'll rip off "Dancer in the Dark" this time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •