Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Joker 2

I like the look of the movie, it honestly looks alright. I just really hate that Harley seems to be a fellow patient/inmate. That kind of ruins the core essence of the Harley/Joker relationship for me in a lot of ways. And yeah, I really don't like this version of Joker.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Looks great it's too bad people are going to spend the next 5 years saying joker 2 is a ripoff of Chicago or something.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I tell my friends that while I love the first film, it's not because I love it as a Joker or Batman-related film. And so at this point, I'm sold on this, and I don't really much hardly view it as a Joker or comic film (just a film with Joker in the title, loosely based on the character).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I tell my friends that while I love the first film, it's not because I love it as a Joker or Batman-related film. And so at this point, I'm sold on this, and I don't really much hardly view it as a Joker or comic film (just a film with Joker in the title, loosely based on the character).
    To me, this Joker is to DC's Joker as much as Moffat's "Sherlock" was to Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" or as much as the American 1998 "Godzilla" was to Godzilla. Let's call it a "broad interpretation" and go from there.

BANNED

I will never understand the appeal of Joker.

It's nothing like the comics at all, the director even flat out said they ignored the source material and really only have the DC branding on the movie to catch people's attention only thing this has in common with the character at all is that he's a crazy guy, but beyond that this just ain't Joker.
    Like you can remake the movie and remove the few DC references and find it comes out the exact same.l
    Something like the MCU will catch flack for the smallest of changes they make to a character or story, but somehow Joker just flat out throwing everything out is fine.

Then as a movie there's really nothing unique about it, people make the comparisons to Scorsese' movies for a reason, there's really nothing you can get from the movie you can't get from those, and those are at least homest about what they are.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    To me, this Joker is to DC's Joker as much as Moffat's "Sherlock" was to Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" or as much as the American 1998 "Godzilla" was to Godzilla. Let's call it a "broad interpretation" and go from there.
    Yeah, and really it's more a Joaquin Phoenix film (and Todd Phillips film) more than anything now, more than Joker or Batman or etc IMHO, at least for me. Joaquin & Todd are the engine making this clown car work.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-10-2024 at 11:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, and really it's more a Joaquin Phoenix film (and Todd Phillips film) more than anything now, more than Joker or Batman or etc IMHO, at least for me. Joaquin & Todd are the engine making this car work.
    If anything, I think it would have benefitted as a film to just be "Clown" or something - then they wouldn't have felt a need to shoe-horn in the Thomas/Bruce Wayne stuff.

If anything, I think it would have benefitted as a film to just be "Clown" or something - then they wouldn't have felt a need to shoe-horn in the Thomas/Bruce Wayne stuff.
    I wonder how much Bruce will be shown in the sequel. He’s probably still too young to have “gone missing” for a few years to train. I hope we see a few other well known Arkham inmates.

I’m looking forward to the musical aspect because it’s so different and like most people I’m pretty tired of standard superhero flicks.

I just really hate that Harley seems to be a fellow patient/inmate. That kind of ruins the core essence of the Harley/Joker relationship for me in a lot of ways. And yeah, I really don't like this version of Joker.
    Also joker and harley switched roles. Instead of joker corrupting her making her more insane she is making him more crazy trying to get him to act like the joker again. They changed roles!

And yes there are already theories harley is not real in all in the jokers head out there with one trailer.

The stuff on stage kind of reminds me a bit of the disturbing Joker graphic novel by Azzarello released around the time of Dark Knight.

The Joker in the TPB was obviously based visually on Ledger's Joker but was more "gangster"-style Joker. (Heath's Joker worked with gangsters but really wasn't one himself, more just an agent of chaos.)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Well if they did that, then everyone would call it a ripoff of Scorcese and the Joker. Can't really win here, and still make these movies.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

2014's Clown (produced and starred by Eli Roth) already beat them to that title.

And I didn't mind the Waynes sub-plot. It wasn't just commercially necessary, but I thought it fit enough with the fat cats grievance driving the plot.