Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Joker 2

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    How did this movie go from $60 mil to $200 million?
    It did? I know nothing about this movie, but usually that kinda thing happens when the studio sees what's been filmed and decide they have a hit on their hands so they throw more money at it to let the director go all out. (the first one making a billion dollars certainly helps) In this case, perhaps to plus up a bunch of musical numbers or large set pieces? Perhaps to get the rights to some of the songs they want to cover.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It did? I know nothing about this movie, but usually that kinda thing happens when the studio sees what's been filmed and decide they have a hit on their hands so they throw more money at it to let the director go all out. (the first one making a billion dollars certainly helps) In this case, perhaps to plus up a bunch of musical numbers or large set pieces? Perhaps to get the rights to some of the songs they want to cover.
    Are top song rights that expensive? I've seen Cruella was supposed to be $100 to $200 million budgeted. The former makes a lot more sense to me regarding the movie, which wasn't cheap looking but more in line with Wonka, a showy musical that cost $125 million, but Cruella used songs from Queen, The Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, The Doors, Nancy Sinatra, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Are top song rights that expensive? I've seen Cruella was supposed to be $100 to $200 million budgeted. The former makes a lot more sense to me regarding the movie, which wasn't cheap looking but more in line with Wonka, a showy musical that cost $125 million, but Cruella used songs from Queen, The Rolling Stones, Bee Gees, The Doors, Nancy Sinatra, etc.
    Yeah, song rights wouldn't explain the entirety of going from 60M to 200M, but I was just guessing it could've been one aspect of the film they decided to throw more money at once they got going.

The movie being a jukebox musical is quite underwhelming for me. As someone who didn’t like the first film but felt the musical aspect of Thor sequel could be interesting, it just seems lazier to me now.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 03-27-2024 at 01:53 AM.

Official poster. Trailer drops on April 9th

that title logo is awful...
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have no idea about this movie, but in general, when a movie's budget balloons like that, it is a result of studio execs watching the footage and deciding it's terrible and ordering massive reshoots. This movie? Who knows.

Official poster. Trailer drops on April 9th

that title logo is awful...
    Looks OK to me...

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Looks OK to me...
    FOLIEJOKAEDEUXR

it's overcomplicated and corny
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I have no idea about this movie, but in general, when a movie's budget balloons like that, it is a result of studio execs watching the footage and deciding it's terrible and ordering massive reshoots. This movie? Who knows.
    To clarify my earlier post about the budget-- the original Joker movie's budget was $60 million, and this movie's budget is now over $200 million. So it's not that there was a budget increase during production of this movie - though there may have been, that's not what I was talking about.

It could be for the song rights, Joaquin demanding a higher pay after winning an Oscar for his performance in the first one, or just a response to the first movie's massive success so they can now go all out with elaborate set pieces, musical sequences, etc. I would say it's likely a combination of all three, because that really is a significant jump. It's basically $10 million or so shy from an MCU movie budget.
    They/Them

To clarify my earlier post about the budget-- the original Joker movie's budget was $60 million, and this movie's budget is now over $200 million. So it's not that there was a budget increase during production of this movie - though there may have been, that's not what I was talking about.

It could be for the song rights, Joaquin demanding a higher pay after winning an Oscar for his performance in the first one, or just a response to the first movie's massive success so they can now go all out with elaborate set pieces, musical sequences, etc. I would say it's likely a combination of all three, because that really is a significant jump. It's basically $10 million or so shy from an MCU movie budget.
    Ooh - I know! The budget increase is because of ... Batfleck! We're gonna see Batman doin' a dance and singing "Love Don't Cost a Thing" alongside J-Lo who's playing Batgirl which is the real reason the Batgirl film got shelved, so as to not step on JLo's toes.

FOLIEJOKAEDEUXR

it's overcomplicated and corny
    I mean it looks alright to me I bet most people won't care I mostly don't care what titles look like..

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I mean it looks alright to me I bet most people won't care I mostly don't care what titles look like..
    to each their own my friend
    They/Them

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The use of music in the first film was one of the keys to making that first film work, so, despite not being much of a musical type fan, I'm keeping an open mind. I have to trust Todd for now.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Well Martin Scorsese has only directed one musical so Phillips doesn’t have a lot to pull from. So he could be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well Martin Scorsese has only directed one musical so Phillips doesn’t have a lot to pull from. So he could be in trouble
    Maybe he'll rip off "Dancer in the Dark" this time.