Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker 2

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wonder if this one will generate the controversy like the last one did?
    The controversy Joker generated was manufactured and exploitive. I'm so glad that blew up in the faces of the media.

Wonder if this one will generate the controversy like the last one did?
    Eh, it never felt like the controversy there was real. It felt fake, like some people just didn't like it or whatever so wanted there to be controversy and drummed up a bunch of headlines trying to start controversy, but it never actually took as a "real" thing like they wanted. If anything, all the fake controversy did was seem to provide free publicity for the film, I don't think the film makers could have asked for better advertising really.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The controversy Joker generated was manufactured and exploitive. I'm so glad that blew up in the faces of the media.
    Yep, there was a tonne of the director saying shit like “you couldn’t make the film that I have just made nowadays because of woke cancel culture or something”. Just really exploitative, cynical dogwhistle garbage that he doubtless doesn’t believe for a second but knows that people obsessed with having a culture war will love.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 01-30-2022 at 02:20 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Yep, there was a tonne of the director saying shit like “you couldn’t make the film that I have just made nowadays because of woke cancel culture or something”. Just really exploitative, cynical dogwhistle garbage that he doubtless doesn’t believe for a second but knows that people obsessed with having a culture war will love.
    It was exploitive on the media's part as they brought in the families of the victims of Aurora theater shooting in their crusade against the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It was exploitive on the media's part as they brought in the families of the victims of Aurora theater shooting in their crusade against the film.
    I think their only crusade was for attention and viewership. Drumming up fear has always been the media's MO.

In terms of the sequel, one thing I'd love to see is a Batman who looks like a crazy person in a home-made bat costume. (albeit an expensive home-made bat costume) I can buy Joker as mid-30's in the first film, sooo.... maybe 15 yrs has passed and Bruce is just old enough and Joker isn't too old. It won't be a superhero v. supervillain battle so much as two crazy people beating the shit out of each other.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wasn't interested in the first one, so unless Batman is in it and there's a strong counterpoint to the Joker I'm not sure what else they could do.

Throw in a version of Harley?
    After watching Nightmare Alley I wouldn't mind Cate Blanchett playing Harley in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    After watching Nightmare Alley I wouldn't mind Cate Blanchett playing Harley in this world.
    I can't see it, exactly, but putting Cate Blanchett in anything is always good.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I can't see it, exactly, but putting Cate Blanchett in anything is always good.
    I haven't seen Nightmare Alley, but agreed on Cate Blanchett in anything is good. Not sure if she's capable of the physicality I expect out of Harley, but hell this version of Joker can't really do much more than dance (badly) so she might not need to wield a mean hammer/bat as much.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think their only crusade was for attention and viewership. Drumming up fear has always been the media's MO.

In terms of the sequel, one thing I'd love to see is a Batman who looks like a crazy person in a home-made bat costume. (albeit an expensive home-made bat costume) I can buy Joker as mid-30's in the first film, sooo.... maybe 15 yrs has passed and Bruce is just old enough and Joker isn't too old. It won't be a superhero v. supervillain battle so much as two crazy people beating the shit out of each other.
    This is true. The people who wrote the initial articles were after clickbait and they got it. And Warners Bros got a fair amount free publicity out of it. No one from either side of the media lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I really disliked the first movie, and struggle to see where they could take it from here. It seemed like a fairly complete story, with a character who seems of fairly low intelligence and strength. Can’t see a believable way of him getting out of prison/asylum. Unless they go the route of the ending of the first movie being a fake out, which would be lame.

Until more info is released it feels like unneeded sequels to old slasher movies that were commissioned due to low budget/high profits.

I felt the character came off the way he did because he was on a heavy dose of psychiatric medication which kept him zoned out. It's an explanation as to why he didn't seem of above intelligence, when the Joker has always been pretty sharp in the comics and other films. His head started to clear out from the medications toward the end, when he stopped using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, fair enough, different strokes for different folks. I think I'm the only one in all of CBR excited for this, but I'm getting used to being the odd duck out. People keep loving the movies I couldn't stand and disliking the movies I loved, so it's just kind of a thing now I guess. I'm hoping that they make it despite the naysayers, cause I don't really see what such a film can hurt. Joker was one of the last movies along with Into the Spider-Verse where I was enjoying what Hollywood was cranking out. Just need something like that again.
    I'd look forward to a sequel. It's a completely open script wherein they can do pretty much anything they want. With the acting ability of Joaquin Phoenix on display, I can't see how it would be a horrible sequel.....Although DC/Warner has disappointed me plenty of times in the past.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 02-05-2022 at 05:34 PM.

Mighty Member

Rupert Pupkin sure looked old in Joker.

I can't see how a sequel would be as shocking or innovative as the first unless they took the Joker story in a much different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I really disliked the first movie, and struggle to see where they could take it from here. It seemed like a fairly complete story, with a character who seems of fairly low intelligence and strength. Can’t see a believable way of him getting out of prison/asylum. Unless they go the route of the ending of the first movie being a fake out, which would be lame.
    They would have to really up the "unreliable narrator" thing and have Arthur relating all these crazy Joker stories/jokes that may or may not have happened but still have some kernel of truth to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They should do Midnight Run this time, and Joker forms an unlikely odd couple dynamic with Batman as they travel cross country back to Arkham Asylum.
    That feels more like a plot for the Leto Joker.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

You're served, sir:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Phillipsverse

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

nice he can fall in the chemicals in this one