Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker 2

Well, glad for fans, even if it's something I don't care for seeing.

If Batman's in it, I'll care.

The guy was barely the Joker in the first movie. So I'm curious if they're going to go ahead and make him more Joker like, or even less. I know everyone here is expecting more Joker-like, but given how Hollywood works I think it could still go either way.

Maybe doesn't even wear the makeup anymore. He just leaves bloodstained Jokebooks at the scene of his crimes.

Astonishing Member

Well he already inspired a Joker gang activity and went in and out of Arkham (up to two times depending on the ending scene) so he was already getting Jokery enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The guy was barely the Joker in the first movie. So I'm curious if they're going to go ahead and make him more Joker like, or even less. I know everyone here is expecting more Joker-like, but given how Hollywood works I think it could still go either way.

Maybe doesn't even wear the makeup anymore. He just leaves bloodstained Jokebooks at the scene of his crimes.
    Maybe not the joker from the comics 100% but he definitely seems like the joker to me.

Wonder if it'll be an homage to an earlier filmmaker like the first one was?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Maybe not the joker from the comics 100% but he definitely seems like the joker to me.
    If I were to rank all the Jokers based on Jokerness, he would be the least Jokery Joker of all.

If I were to rank all the Jokers based on Jokerness, he would be the least Jokery Joker of all.
    I agree but that doesn't mean it's bad does it?

Agree. The Joker as I think of him at least finds twisted humor in his insanity and actions. This emo Joker just has a condition.

Personally, I hope the sequel goes full camp and emulates an 80's movie - make him like Freddie Krueger, but in the waking world. Then multiverse it up by having Michael Keaton Batman beat the **** out of him. (no, it doesn't need to make sense - who cares?)

Astonishing Member

So they are making Falling Down 2? Or is that actually Falling Down 3?

Such a weird choice for this to get a sequel

Obviously it made so much money, and The Joker is a very bankable character

But the movie didn’t really give off the feeling of having more story to tell? It seemed the film was intended to be taken seriously from an “artist’s” perspective, and I feel sequels generally are considered as cash grabs.

I could only really see it as an anthology series of films, but clearly Phoenix is involved so I doubt that’s the case. It painted itself as quite realistic, and I can’t see a sequel being able to keep that realism up.

I didn’t really care for the first one, and I don’t think I trust Todd Philips to deliver anything that I’d like to see in another film

Who knows, it might be worth it? I will at least give Phoenix another chance! If only because I love him in everything else!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Despite me being prepared to hate the first film, it ended up working great (not as a Batman or Joker or comic book film, but just as a film, as a Taxi Driver or King of Comedy homage film really).

So I guess I'm probably going to give this sequel a shot, especially because Phoenix and Phillips seem to be returning.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Best damn news all year. Loved the last one, looking forward to seeing what they'll do this time around.

Invincible Member

No doubt the next one will be "serious" and "dark" but it would be fun if each Joker movie would be a tribute to a different 70's/80's director. The next one could be Annie Hall/Manhattan era Woody Allen, the one after could be a homage to Robert Altman, after that we could have John Landis Joker, then maybe a Spielberg Joker with a heartwarming ending...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Such a weird choice for this to get a sequel

Obviously it made so much money, and The Joker is a very bankable character
    I mean, the first one is a Joker movie with no Joker. It's a pretty well made and compelling crime flick, but it's not the Joker.

This is par for the course.

That said, I'm hesitantly on board for this. A lot is going to depend on the direction they push things. It will be really easy for this to slide into glorifying violence, as the first one cozies right up to that line more than once as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I mean, the first one is a Joker movie with no Joker. It's a pretty well made and compelling crime flick, but it's not the Joker.

This is par for the course.

That said, I'm hesitantly on board for this. A lot is going to depend on the direction they push things. It will be really easy for this to slide into glorifying violence, as the first one cozies right up to that line more than once as it is.
    To comic fans it may not be The Joker, but to the general public it is - he’s a clown that causes chaos in Gotham city, affecting Bruce Wayne, and visiting Arkham Asylum. It’s an origin story, but it seemed pretty intent on being a one and done story imo. It’s an adaptation of him, even though it isn’t comic accurate.

What I meant was that, like what you’re saying, the first movie was a character study dressed up with some comic book references, but not explicitly a franchise film. I wouldn’t expect films like The Master, Filth, Frank, Ex Machina, Taxi Driver, King Of Comedy etc to get a sequel, but this has - it just feels strange to me, because the world they’ve set up is fairly realistic; adding a Batman into the mix, or an Arkham breakout would ruin the illusion. But that’s just me!