Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Oya has murdered humans in self-defense before in Schism true, but there's something really repulsive about knowing her friends allowed her to go to the pit just like that. This story could work if her generation rebelled and were active in breaking out the prisoners. But when Sabretooth is more of an ally than your heroic X-friends, well that's bad.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Oya has murdered humans in self-defense before in Schism true, but there's something really repulsive about knowing her friends allowed her to go to the pit just like that. This story could work if her generation rebelled and were active in breaking out the prisoners. But when Sabretooth is more of an ally than your heroic X-friends, well that's bad.
    Especially since she has such a strong conection with the other lights, including Hope who seems to have more clout on the Island thant the QC. Last we saw her she was chillin with Broo before he became King. I really hope the five lights and Dimond Lil make and appearance in this book.

Is funny that the thread and Book are called Sabretooth and nobody is talking about him.

There's also the problem that they've said multiple times that the law is Murder No Man, not "Kill". They've discussed many times about how they needed to start drafting specifics in the cases of self-defense and accidental death. So why didn't they start talking about that with Oya if what she did was either of those things and instead send her to the pit?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    There's also the problem that they've said multiple times that the law is Murder No Man, not "Kill". They've discussed many times about how they needed to start drafting specifics in the cases of self-defense and accidental death. So why didn't they start talking about that with Oya if what she did was either of those things and instead send her to the pit?
    Lest not have our hopes that high, they might go the Nature Girl route. The book is still edited by JDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Is funny that the thread and Book are called Sabretooth and nobody is talking about him.
    Not really. This board loves the obscure mutants. That’s part of its charm, in that it’s an insular little bubble of hardcore fans who actually know who these characters are and will gripe about them not being shown the proper amount of respect by the X-office when they are dragged out of the toy closet and used. I find it fun myself.

Her friends? Well, let’s do a checklist of where her friends are at:

• Evan Sabahnur - dead
    • Broo - already under suspicion by the Quiet Council for breakout Brood attacks
    • Kid Gladiator - not on Krakoa
    • Nature Girl - AWOL/radicalized
    • Quentin - they aren’t even friends anymore, Idie cut him off. maybe he’d fight for her but we see how he did with Lin

Wonder if Nekra will have a new costume or if she'll still be running around practically naked?

Not that I'm complaining. My girl Namorita usually spends most of her time in a bathing suit or bikini.

As much as I don't like the idea of Oya possibly exiled, I'm hoping this story gives us some insight on how mutants may be feeling about Krakoa. It's possible this group is not onboard with Krakoa and I'd like to see that explored if so.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Hilarious that you think antiblackness is limited to “American politics.” Even funnier when you recognize we’re talking about American comic books by American writers and artists.
    And you would also be complaining if it was an all white group of characters. If you think Marvel, of all companies has a racist agenda then maybe you should stop reading.

I for one welcome all races, all genders, all sexualities to be in as many books as possible. Whether they be heroes, civilians or villians/criminals/evil, etc.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Wonder if Nekra will have a new costume or if she'll still be running around practically naked?

Not that I'm complaining. My girl Namorita usually spends most of her time in a bathing suit or bikini.
    I called the silhouette of her a while back when most people figured was Gideon. It reminded me of her second look.

3da0480ced9bb4f846be722621933724.jpg
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    And you would also be complaining if it was an all white group of characters. If you think Marvel, of all companies has a racist agenda then maybe you should stop reading.
    What? I’m clearly not complaining at LaValle’s choices. There’s probably a reason, spoken or otherwise, why the majority of the mutants in the Pit rn aren’t white.

I don’t think it’s wrong to explore racism, in-universe. Especially under a Black writer’s pen.

Incredible Member

• Evan Sabahnur - dead
    • Broo - already under suspicion by the Quiet Council for breakout Brood attacks
    • Quentin - they aren’t even friends anymore, Idie cut him off. maybe he’d fight for her but we see how he did with Lin
    Hey you forgot about Velocidad, Primmal and Transonic. But so did all of the X-Office.

Mighty Member

• Evan Sabahnur - dead
    You're leaving out Hope.

And most importantly all the other young mutants. Young people can be very political. The New XMen kids should all be protesting this or trying to break her out (maybe some group will??. But putting a young black female hero who has killed in self-defense (a storyline that causes a literal Schism where super hero Logan felt she was used as a pawn) in the same group as Sabretooth the serial killing rapist, well something is wrong). Also, not trying to get ahead of ourselves, maybe the writer will give us a good reason as to how Oya ended up there but this just reminds me of Nature Girl a bit too much. A heroic minority character ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Hey you forgot about Velocidad, Primal and Transonic. But so did all of the X-Office.
    Train…sonique? Pry…mail….never heard of em.

You're leaving out Hope.

And most importantly all the other young mutants. Young people can be very political. The New XMen kids should all be protesting this or trying to break her out (maybe some group will??. But putting a young black female hero who has killed in self-defense (a storyline that causes a literal Schism where super hero Logan felt she was used as a pawn) in the same group as Sabretooth the serial killing rapist, well something is wrong). Also, not trying to get ahead of ourselves, maybe the writer will give us a good reason as to how Oya ended up there but this just reminds me of Nature Girl a bit too much. A heroic minority character ruined.
    Having read LaValle’s Eve and Destroyer, I don’t think anyone on this creative team is trying to ruin Oya. You have to admit it’s an interesting story to have one of the Five Lights, this ‘future X-Leader’ be the one to face Krakoa’s gravest punishment. And I’m sure the optics of her being the only young one amongst adult villains and predators will be underlined in some capacity. Again, this isn’t Lost from WaX. This is a Black writer exploring a minority state’s carceral system, he’s more than equipped to tell this story.

Mighty Member

Train…sonique? Pry…mail….never heard of em.

Having read LaValle’s Eve and Destroyer, I don’t think anyone on this creative team is trying to ruin Oya. You have to admit it’s an interesting story to have one of the Five Lights, this ‘future X-Leader’ be the one to face Krakoa’s gravest punishment. And I’m sure the optics of her being the only young one amongst adult villains and predators will be underlined in some capacity. Again, this isn’t Lost from WaX. This is a Black writer exploring a minority state’s carceral system, he’s more than equipped to tell this story.
    Thanks, you're probably right. I'm still pissed at what they did to Nature Girl so now I'm more skeptical. This era still hasn't done right with the younger mutants really.