Astonishing Member

Default Is the Captain Britain comic part of the x-verse?

I know the original Excalibur series pulled stories of from the '70s Captain Britain series but Capt. Britain wasn't introduced into the x-verse until the mid-'80s or so.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I know the original Excalibur series pulled stories of from the '70s Captain Britain series but Capt. Britain wasn't introduced into the x-verse until the mid-'80s or so.
    I believe it is.
    Chris Claremont crated him and he was definitely part of the Marvel universe, he teamed up with several Marvel heroes. Wasn’t Spiderman his roommate at one point?
    His most interesting stories and the ones which introduced Meggan, the Crazy Gang, Jim Jaspers and developed Betsy, were my introduction to the the character and were written by Alan Moore and Jamie Delano, illustrated by Alan Davis, in the early 80s for Marvel UK. But still part of the main 616 Universe.
    They are just fantastic and touch on very dark themes that Alan Moore went on to explore further in Marvelman and Watchmen and V. But the first dark turns were in Captain Britain and they are well worth hunting down if you can find them. I don’t think they are on Marvel Unlimited, probably because they were Marvel UK, not Marvel itself?
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 02-01-2022 at 01:04 AM.

For what it's worth, I'll always LOVE the original uniform (XD)

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I mean kinda! He's certainly fits more neatly as an X-Men character than he does in any other corner of the Marvel Universe since Marvel UK stopped being a thing. It's hard to explicitly state he is an X-Men character but the only time anyting signifcant happens to Brian, since Excalibur first started, it's nearly always in a book coming from the X-office.

His first susbstantial appearance in US comics (outside of a two issue Marvel Team Up story and the odd cameo) are in New Mutants/Uncanny Annuals from the 80's - along with Betsy & Meggan.

Outside of the original Excalibur series most of his major stories are in X-Books:

Him & Meggan pop up a lot in early issues of Claremont's 3rd Uncanny run and The Fury/Saturyne/ Mad Jim Jaspers all prominent Captain Britain characters are featured.

He's a main cast member in New Excalibur.

He's a main cast member in Captain Britain & MI:13 which I'd argue isn't an X-Book, but it was originally intended to be a continuation of New Excalibur not a relaunch so it's easy to argue that it was.

The 2010's are when he's mostly away from X-Men Books: He's a key player in one arc of Uncanny X-Force but for the most part he's popping up in Hickman's Avengers or to show the latest Alien Invasion is happening in Britain as well as the US. He's also randomly setting up a school off panel in Avengers Arena - I can't imagine a character less suited to being a teacher tbh!

Late 2010's-Now: It's revealed him & Meggan have a daughter in an X-Men Gold Annual and then he's a regular in the latest volume of Excalibur.

I'd say he pretty much is an X-Men character now. It's clear that the editorial team/ writers in the current X-office have a lot of love for the first volume of Excalibur and I can't see him being used much in the Avengers or other properties anytime soon, especially while Betsy is Captain Britain.

Probably also worth mentioning that Captain Britain villains/ supporting characters from the 70's & 80's Marvel UK material only ever really show up in X-Men comics too.

Main figures like Courtney Ross/ Saturnyne/ The Fury/ Mad Jim Jaspers have shown up in Uncanny before - the only time anyone else uses these characters much was Claremont in his 90's Fanastic Four run.

Yes and no. The character was created by Claremont and he definitely pulled from his comic world for the X-Men, especially his Excalibur run. The character himself is not necessarily an X-character, but most of his US appearances are within the X-Franchise. Plus all of his connections there (Brother of a main X-character, married to a mutant, etc).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Yes and no. The character was created by Claremont and he definitely pulled from his comic world for the X-Men, especially his Excalibur run. The character himself is not necessarily an X-character, but most of his US appearances are within the X-Franchise. Plus all of his connections there (Brother of a main X-character, married to a mutant, etc).
    Otherworld has become a part of the Xbooks since the 80s Excalibur.

His two siblings are mutants, his wife is a mutant, and his daughter is a mutant.