Extraordinary Member

Default Testing Kafka Hibino /Monster #8

Work is coming to an end and I just realised that we don't really have a lot of/any threads with Kafka Hibino, the main character for the delightfully awesome manga series Monster #8. So I figured it could be fun to test him out against an assortment of opponents. Just to see how tough he is.

The battle ground is an abandoned Tokyo. This is not a gauntlet, just a bunch of one on one fights that I'm randomly coming up with right now.

1. Shiki Granbell from Edens Zero
    2. Sukuna from Jujutsu Kaisen
    3. Charon from Fire Force
    4. MCU Thor, circa Avengers: Infinity War
    5. The Sea-King from One Punch-Man
    6. Kratos from God of War
    7. Mash Burndead from Mashle: Magic And Muscles*

How many of these can Kafka win against?

*I haven't actually read this one so I have no idea how well these two match up at all.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Ooooh, a Kafka thread! Let's bring my boy out to play!

I might have to go back and look at Kafka's feats in close detail but I'll give the gut takes here:

1. Shiki Granbell from Edens Zero
    Shiki is annoying to fight, post timeskip his gravity control has gotten pretty wild. That said, I don't think he hits hard enough to overcome Kaiju #8's regeneration and isn't nearly durable enough to survive Kafka hitting him seriously. Kafka should take this even if it takes a little while.

2. Sukuna from Jujutsu Kaisen
    Sukuna throws out his Domain Expansion and plays keepaway until Kafka falls down from repeated endless slashing. Sukuna absolutely sucks to fight. Kafka could potentially blitz since I think he's faster than most JJK people. But then Sukuna is also faster than most JJK people so I don't think it's that viable.

3. Charon from Fire Force
    How seriously are we taking Charon's ability to reflect the super gamma ray beam that was city-nuking scale? While that did kind of max him out, its an absolutely bananas feat. If we are taking that his conceptual ceiling then he should be able to eat Kafka's hits and return them back at him in explosions. If we go by pretty much every other showing he has, then Kafka pulls his head off without much issue.

4. MCU Thor, circa Avengers: Infinity War
    Kaiju #9 was capable of smacking empowered bullets out of the air with his finger very easily. Kafka then blitzed him pretty roundly in their first encounter. He's more than fast enough to blitz Thor. Certainly punches hard enough to put him down. Stormbreaker is a concern but I don't think he'll get the chance to use it.

5. The Sea-King from One Punch-Man
    Slightly hard to gauge. I would back Kafka. Sea King is very quick though, between his tagging of Sonic and dueling with Genos to some degree. How damp is it? Might be important.

6. Kratos from God of War
    Same issue as Thor. Not nearly enough speed and Kafka hits really, really hard. It's gonna take a while, because Kratos is quite durable, but I think Kafka takes him out.

7. Mash Burndead from Mashle: Magic And Muscles
    Mash is like... stupid. I love the guy but he is absolutely gonzo in terms of his feats. He's fast enough that he can fly just by repeatedly spin-kicking the air, he can overpower and throw around stadium-sized kaiju, he's fast enough that he can literally do a full on actual Maximum Spider to people, he once choked out a person who was made of diamond in literally a split second... my boy is absolutely crazy.

Man, I'm just looking through Mashle at some of the utterly dumb stuff he does and it's fucking great. Dude is like a younger and dumber Saitama.

I don't know who wins between him an Kafka to be honest. I think Kafka hits harder more consistently and has regeneration on his side but Mash is certainly faster. Kafka by attrition?

A thought occurs Dark, are we allowing Kafka access to the berserk state when he fought Shinomiya? That was a ways above his normal outputs but it's not something he seems to have on tap. That could change a few match ups here and there.

Don't mind me, just gonna start posting goofy Mash feats:

Love my dumb mushroom son.

I also forgot that Mash recently reacted to and deflected a series of projectiles moving at Mach 7.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Ooooh, a Kafka thread! Let's bring my boy out to play!
    Ay'up. The 32 year old shonen protag needs some love I feel.
    Shiki is annoying to fight, post timeskip his gravity control has gotten pretty wild. That said, I don't think he hits hard enough to overcome Kaiju #8's regeneration and isn't nearly durable enough to survive Kafka hitting him seriously. Kafka should take this even if it takes a little while.
    Yeah, in just a pure fist fight Kafka will more than likely win. An alternate way for Shiki to win could be to remove Kafka's gravity and then launch him into space. Though that's only in theory with how his powers work I admit.
    Sukuna throws out his Domain Expansion and plays keepaway until Kafka falls down from repeated endless slashing. Sukuna absolutely sucks to fight. Kafka could potentially blitz since I think he's faster than most JJK people. But then Sukuna is also faster than most JJK people so I don't think it's that viable.
    It's very brief but Sukuna does need to stop and do the hand sign to activate his Domain Expansion, right? Would Kafka be able to rush in during that small moment? I guess it's a bit difficult to judge if he could pull that off.
    How seriously are we taking Charon's ability to reflect the super gamma ray beam that was city-nuking scale? While that did kind of max him out, its an absolutely bananas feat. If we are taking that his conceptual ceiling then he should be able to eat Kafka's hits and return them back at him in explosions. If we go by pretty much every other showing he has, then Kafka pulls his head off without much issue.
    I'm ok with taking it seriously as an upper limit of Charon's ability when he's focused on absorbing the attack coming his way. We've seen a few times how it's possible to catch him off guard by attacking when he shifts to returning the attack power. And I think that Kafka is fast enough to exploit that shift.
    Slightly hard to gauge. I would back Kafka. Sea King is very quick though, between his tagging of Sonic and dueling with Genos to some degree. How damp is it? Might be important.
    Let's go with a light drizzle.
    Mash is like... stupid. I love the guy but he is absolutely gonzo in terms of his feats. He's fast enough that he can fly just by repeatedly spin-kicking the air, he can overpower and throw around stadium-sized kaiju, he's fast enough that he can literally do a full on actual Maximum Spider to people, he once choked out a person who was made of diamond in literally a split second... my boy is absolutely crazy.

Man, I'm just looking through Mashle at some of the utterly dumb stuff he does and it's fucking great. Dude is like a younger and dumber Saitama.

I don't know who wins between him an Kafka to be honest. I think Kafka hits harder more consistently and has regeneration on his side but Mash is certainly faster. Kafka by attrition?
    Don't mind me, just gonna start posting goofy Mash feats:

Love my dumb mushroom son.
    Ahh.

It's that kind of stupid. Looks fun.
    A thought occurs Dark, are we allowing Kafka access to the berserk state when he fought Shinomiya? That was a ways above his normal outputs but it's not something he seems to have on tap. That could change a few match ups here and there.
    I will go to my usual answer for that. We'll do one without Kafka's berserk mode and one with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Ay'up. The 32 year old shonen protag needs some love I feel.
    As I am now a year older than him, I approve of older protagonists getting some play.

Yeah, in just a pure fist fight Kafka will more than likely win. An alternate way for Shiki to win could be to remove Kafka's gravity and then launch him into space. Though that's only in theory with how his powers work I admit.
    Also, I don't think Shiki has the speed feats to really hang here.

It's very brief but Sukuna does need to stop and do the hand sign to activate his Domain Expansion, right? Would Kafka be able to rush in during that small moment? I guess it's a bit difficult to judge if he could pull that off.
    Even if he lands a hit, Sukuna literally did not care when Fushigoro's mega shikigami ritual thing punted him through four buildings, he was more politely amused than anything else. I don't think Kafka has enough gun, even at max level, to rush him and kill him before Sukuna makes a shape with his hands. Best case, he's faster and gets a hit in, Sukuna is sent flying and just makes the domain any way.

I'm ok with taking it seriously as an upper limit of Charon's ability when he's focused on absorbing the attack coming his way. We've seen a few times how it's possible to catch him off guard by attacking when he shifts to returning the attack power. And I think that Kafka is fast enough to exploit that shift.
    If we're allowing that... are we allowing the knowledge of how Charon's powers work? It's not strictly speaking standard knowledge and it kind of influences how one approaches.

I think Kafka hits hard enough that he could feasibly rush Charon until he maxes out and collapses either way.

Let's go with a light drizzle.
    Well, it's a pretty rough fight then. Sea King hits real hard, has regeneration and is probably about as fast as Kafka. Slug fest to be honest. Bit of a coin flip.

It's that kind of stupid. Looks fun.
    It's a very funny series. Lots of fun jokes.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 02-03-2022 at 03:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

As I am now a year older than him, I approve of older protagonists getting some play.
    I'm currently two years older than him and will turn three years older in some months time. It's good to know that I'm older than even the unusally old shonen protag.
    If we're allowing that... are we allowing the knowledge of how Charon's powers work? It's not strictly speaking standard knowledge and it kind of influences how one approaches.

I think Kafka hits hard enough that he could feasibly rush Charon until he maxes out and collapses either way.
    Nah, I think it wouldn't be common knowledge for Kafka. But I think he's smart enough to figure it out if he gets the chance.
    Well, it's a pretty rough fight then. Sea King hits real hard, has regeneration and is probably about as fast as Kafka. Slug fest to be honest. Bit of a coin flip.
    How good is the Sea King's regeneration anyway? I only remember seeing him fix a hole in his face, but that's about it. Then Saitama one punched him as he is wont to do so we didn't really get more noticeable regen feats for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Nah, I think it wouldn't be common knowledge for Kafka. But I think he's smart enough to figure it out if he gets the chance.
    Eh, it's a bit of a tricky one still.

Charon stopping a beam that made a 500 km wide crater in the moon should, in theory, put him beyond Kafka's range to mess with. The problem is though that Kafka is faster than anyone Charon fought and his reflecting of the beam was different technique than his absorption which seems to be his answer for kinetic energy like punches and blades.

I think he can rush him and just keep smacking him to overload him, Charon isn't notably fast. He's a counterpuncher through and through so I imagine Kafka can take him.

How good is the Sea King's regeneration anyway? I only remember seeing him fix a hole in his face, but that's about it. Then Saitama one punched him as he is wont to do so we didn't really get more noticeable regen feats for him.
    That is about it, nothing on the level of Kafka's quick limb regeneration or entire body regen in berserker form.

I spooled through Kaiju #8 and spotted the feat wherein Kafka kicks off the ground to jump and kick away the exploding monster that attacked Unit 03 and this level of force is quite a ways above the best we see for Sea King.

I'm inclined to back Kafka, albeit it's a bit of a hard fight. Sea King is no joke.

Incredible Member

I lost it at "DISROBED HIMSELF AT SUPERHUMAN SPEED!!"

Edit: Also, I'm surprised the original post didn't mention Kafka vs. Eren Yeager.