Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Wink Build your own Diet-Gwen Stacy-I mean Spider-Man love interest!

POV: Joe Quesada (or the Spidey-Office in general, pick your poison really) is holding you hostage and is forcing you to come up with a new love interest to replace Mary Jane because they have a serious hate-boner for MJ and adorably think they can make a love interest better than her. Being a Spider-Man fan, you know that realistically they'll probably stick for around...2-3 give or take (maybe even less) before it becomes clear no one cares and they either go back to MJ or come up with ANOTHER new one. So that leaves you with one question: What will you do? Will you try and make a character that's actually somewhat interesting so that they become another supporting cast member if the whole love interest shtick doesn't work out? Will you deliberately make the worst character ever completely out of spite because you hate this? (Don't worry, I do too. I just thought it'd be funny to watch you all suffer trying to come up with something. ) What will the character even be like? What's your thought process here?

Idk, thought this would be a fun little experiment.

I'd just pick a c-list heroine/villianess to pair him up with.

I'd take it seriously. Granted, I think One More Day was the right decision, especially at the time.

There are two potential approaches.

1. Make a new character who is essentially like a twenty-something version of Zendaya's MJ, maybe a coworker of Peter's. She would be aware of Peter's secret identity, and he wouldn't know that she knows. She'd also have a connection to a new mystery villain. One of her parents would be a Wakandan fugitive, just for the clash with Black Panther.

2. I would bring back Sarah Bailey from Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine, for the dynamic of Peter reunited with a girl who doesn't remember their meaningful relationship.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Ms Marvel had a thing for him, don't like the Cap. Marvel era as much but that could have been cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Ms Marvel had a thing for him, don't like the Cap. Marvel era as much but that could have been cool
    Hmmm a story with Pete as a teen and a junior member of the Avengers? Hmmm enh, maybe one of the teens in Avengers Academy ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmmm a story with Pete as a teen and a junior member of the Avengers? Hmmm enh, maybe one of the teens in Avengers Academy ?
    I meant Carol Ms Marvel but Kamala Ms Marvel in that Marvel Spider-man show could work as well

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

First thing I'd do would be to spend a year building a new love interest who was as generic as possible because you know they're going to be utterly rejected by fans for not being MJ and has no hope of catching on (the Carlie Cooper effect). I'd seed the actual character in the background through this to trick fans into being somewhat happy it's not the first one.

Otherwise, I'd try to make her as unique and interesting as possible (so definitely not like Gwen). I'm firmly against Spider-man having a powered love interest but there is still a wide range of characters for Peter to interact with. Maybe a teacher at Empire State University could be fun.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I meant Carol Ms Marvel but Kamala Ms Marvel in that Marvel Spider-man show could work as well
    Hmmm Or one of the others.... Komodo is an interesting option since she's kinda like a female version of Kurt Connors. Tsu-Zana is kinda like a teen version of Carol in that she's also a Kree/Human living on Earth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Make a new character who is essentially like a twenty-something version of Zendaya's MJ, maybe a coworker of Peter's. She would be aware of Peter's secret identity, and he wouldn't know that she knows. She'd also have a connection to a new mystery villain. One of her parents would be a Wakandan fugitive, just for the clash with Black Panther.
    Introducing Michelle Jones into the series would be a good idea, if they have the rights to the character. I don't think it would be a good idea to give her a criminal parent though, it would be very hard for it to not come across as a negative stereotype. It's usually better for Spider-Man characters to be rooted in Spider-Man's world too, without bringing the mythology of other Marvel heroes into the mix.

Extraordinary Member

I would bring back Jill Stacy and build on the connection that she and Peter had before she was put in comic book limbo while also explaining where she's been since then.

Oh, easy. Deadpool.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Flash Thompson
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Peter would always have some "Moonlighting" style heat with the various female journalists at the Bugle (Joy Mercado, Amy Powell, Kate Cushing). Even Norah Winters was a far more interesting character when compared to "Ooh she's so perfect for you" Carlie Cooper of the BND era. Someone that challenges him, can even be infuriated by him, but doesn't treat him like a loser (most of the ladies during Slott's run, such as his Horizon co-workers and Mockingbird).

Honestly, when Julia Carpenter first became the new Madame Web, I thought she was going to have a larger role in the book. Peter dating her or someone like her would make for a unique comic run. Peter to my knowledge, hasn't had a steady relationship with a single mother yet. That could make for some intriguing drama, as he would have to navigate his secret Spider-man life with a partner who has a child. (One that doesn't share his spider power like Mayday or Annie) Julia is also blind now, and I don't *think* Peter has dated anyone with a disability(?) More representation is always good, I thought Flash Thompson's story was pretty solid, (and they even brought back Sha Shan) but then they kind of undercut it by just giving him "magic" symbiote legs.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Introducing Michelle Jones into the series would be a good idea, if they have the rights to the character. I don't think it would be a good idea to give her a criminal parent though, it would be very hard for it to not come across as a negative stereotype. It's usually better for Spider-Man characters to be rooted in Spider-Man's world too, without bringing the mythology of other Marvel heroes into the mix.
    But she’s already in the series.

An Alternate Universe MJ.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 02-02-2022 at 03:06 PM.