Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While it is true that Magik has deeper ties to the franchise, through Colossus (a character who has increasingly become less relevant than her...), it's also not a grand surprise that of the New Mutants, a team with the largest number of POC with characters like Sunspot, Karma and Dani, it's a blue-eyed blonde added later that 'breaks out' and becomes the success story.
    Your opinion. Perhaps it is because Magik is an incredible character and her eye and hair color had nothing to do with her actual writing and audience response to such a brilliant addition to the X-Verse?

I will add Dani to another dynamic character who deserved SO much more in the 90s and first decade of the 2000's. She rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Would have been interesting to see the reactions if Storm had been killed by fake Mags at the end of Morrison's run and was left dead for more than a decade.
    Or if she was killed by a freaking cloud and people kept talking about her like she was the reincarnation of Hitler.
    Or if she commited crimes while possessd by the Phoenix Force, and then was turned from strong independant woman to love crazed harpy trying to commit genocide to avenge the man she loved.

People only see what they want to see.

The wall that keeps more young mutants and more POC from being relevant is made of ALL the old X-Men, including Miss "as long as they have me in a cartoon or in a comics, they don't feel the need to add more poc" Munroe. (see people complaining about X-Force being too white but shuting the hell up about Immortal X-Men)
    I mean... that seems ENTIRELY like it's the writers/editors problem and example of them perpetuating tokenism than the characters'. Also people have complained about the QC lacking diversity since HOX/POX, they just knew it wasn't going to suddenly change with the launch of Immortal.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I think people are vastly overestimating how much Marvel 'fears' backlash from fans, no matter how vocal or vitriolic they are. They never budged an inch on their direction for the X-books or X-characters until the second they signed a deal getting film rights to mutants back, and then they shifted on a dime without any concern for backlash from fans who were happier when the focus was off mutants and on other parts of the Marvel U. And not looking to get into a 'whose fans are worse' contest because nobody who already has an opinion on that subject is ever likely to have it changed in this thread, but I'm just saying, if anyone thinks there are just NO vocal or vitriolic fans in any corner of Marvel fandom outside of the X-books, congrats on your starring role in that new Agatha Christie movie set on the Nile.

Like, Marvel writers and editors may justifiably complain about how vocal or vitriolic fans can be at times, but fearing fan reaction has never demonstrably shifted their narrative choices or even slightly seemed to affect Marvel's bottom line priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean the folks who scream and holla and later on we discover THEY are the main ones NOT buying the books?
    Or the group that will scream and holla about variants and events yet can't stop BUYING them like it's an addiction. Yet toss a black person in a book and here comes restraint.

FYI Marvel is NOT scared of readership. If you chose to look BEYOND the comic book store.
    Like I have said Shuri got 6 new books not trades coming out in 2022. Not one will be in a comic book store.
    Why?? Because Marvel notices something that toxic dudebros REFUSE to notice.

Comics sales have improved EXCEPT in one area....super heroes.
    Funny how diverse Boom Studios can be. 10 titles with LGBTQA leads? Many that have beaten Marvel and DC is sales.

Not when fans whine and complain. See Synch. Rogue fans want to go OFF on how Synch is stealing everything from Rogue.
    Synch has been gone for 20 years...
    Rogue has had how much stuff?? Including minis, ongoing with her husband and so on.

Nor when POC are poorly written or left out. NOBODY should have to go read Black Panther for a well done Storm.
    Prodigy lead New X-Men and has been a JOKE since.
    Why can other franchises do a better job with some mutants than this one???

Too many X-books become As the World Turns around Scott, Jean, Logan, Emma or Kitty. Funny how many POC are left out.

The Gen X And New X-Men kids SOLD. Why don't they have books? Set them up in other parts of the world. How would the Gen X kid handle say Seattle as the X-Men reps??
    New X-Kids in Dallas? So they don't have to be under the shadow of adults?
    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Would have been interesting to see the reactions if Storm had been killed by fake Mags at the end of Morrison's run and was left dead for more than a decade.
    Or if she was killed by a freaking cloud and people kept talking about her like she was the reincarnation of Hitler.
    Or if she commited crimes while possessd by the Phoenix Force, and then was turned from strong independant woman to love crazed harpy trying to commit genocide to avenge the man she loved.

People only see what they want to see.

The wall that keeps more young mutants and more POC from being relevant is made of ALL the old X-Men, including Miss "as long as they have me in a cartoon or in a comics, they don't feel the need to add more poc" Munroe. (see people complaining about X-Force being too white but shuting the hell up about Immortal X-Men)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I mean... that seems ENTIRELY like it's the writers/editors problem and example of them perpetuating tokenism than the characters'. Also people have complained about the QC lacking diversity since HOX/POX, they just knew it wasn't going to suddenly change with the launch of Immortal.
    I stand corrected on the subject of Marvel "fearing" its own readership, and those are some excellent points there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The QC isn't very diverse by design, just like the Illuminati weren't. Though with Apocalypse, Nightcrawler and Mystique, they do have a fair representation of the blue people.