Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Go the first Blacksad book today, I had already ordered the follow up earlier in the week but if I hadn't I would have got on amazon asap. What a fantastic book, and I haven't read it yet. Can see why it's universally acclaimed.
    This is just personal taste (as I always love a good noir), but as soon as I saw a nude human like cat I was out as it was too "furry" like for me. Objectively speaking though, the art is truly gorgeous.

For anyone who owns the Colossal Conan, how strong is the writing? I like the idea of the book but $100 is a lot to drop on a blind buy. If I like Game of Thrones, God of War etc would I like it?

Fantastic Member

I think the writing in Colossal Conan is very strong. I don't know if I'd recommend the book to anyone who isn't a Conan (or at least a sword & sorcery) fan really, but if you are its a fantastic piece of work...in fact reading it makes me wish they'd get KB to write a Conan movie. I find his writing has a strong cinematic quality...

Victorxd1999, The Cheat thanks! I dont really care how they look on the shelf as long as the binding holds up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Yeah, they're definitely for reading rather than looking pretty on a shelf. Unless you put a lot of effort in, you'll almost certainly have creases in the spine by the time you've finished a volume. If you're buying them for the content though, they're top notch. Portable too
    I thought the same thing, and wasn't particularly careful when reading mine for just that reason, but looking at it now, it's completely crease free. My unread #2 is in worse shape due to plain shipping/shelf wear.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I don't have them but I've heard they're pretty good. Good paper and larger pages than original, the spine is pretty fragile though
    I thought the original English translations were regular comic book sized. These are pretty small. About a quarter inch shorter than a Tokyopop manga volume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp14 View Post
    This is just personal taste (as I always love a good noir), but as soon as I saw a nude human like cat I was out as it was too "furry" like for me. Objectively speaking though, the art is truly gorgeous.
    Come on man, it was a single scene, very tastefully done, with no actual sexy bits shown. I've seen much more sexually explicit work in comics before. The comic has nothing to do with the furry community and it's quite a shame that you're evidently so self concious about something so benign that you're unable to appreciate it for what it is.

If you like noir story lines and exquisitely detailed artwork, I can't imagine passing up on this simply because of a single scene that's barely relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    Come on man, it was a single scene, very tastefully done, with no actual sexy bits shown. I've seen much more sexually explicit work in comics before. The comic has nothing to do with the furry community and it's quite a shame that you're evidently so self concious about something so benign that you're unable to appreciate it for what it is.

If you like noir story lines and exquisitely detailed artwork, I can't imagine passing up on this simply because of a single scene that's barely relevant.
    I have no problem with sex in comics, however you're right about being self conscious about the animal portion. There's something about anthropomorphic animals that weirds me out. Because of that hang up I probably am missing out on a great noir story.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I thought the original English translations were regular comic book sized. These are pretty small. About a quarter inch shorter than a Tokyopop manga volume.
    The Dark horse non-omnibus translations are about 1.5 inch smaller than the omnibi
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Video is a bit older but it fits here. Best of Milligan and McCarthy by Dark Horse.

Excellent book with great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp14 View Post

For anyone who owns the Colossal Conan, how strong is the writing? I like the idea of the book but $100 is a lot to drop on a blind buy. If I like Game of Thrones, God of War etc would I like it?
    Haha, I was like wtf when I saw that a page in, but it's not really a big part of the whole story. There is an interesting take on it in the intro, which is quite obvious once you are reading it, it's not really animals as much as the animal traits displayed by people. For instance the slimy lizard is compared to James Woods, and others like the Saint Bernard police officer. Anyway it's so well drawn and the characters so expressive, just a cracker of a book. I'm mostly through the first story and there's not been any furriness to speak of, first impressions can sometimes be deceptive. I know I skipped 100 Bullets after reading the first issue, being too slangy/street and not what I was expecting from it. Glad I went back and read it, tis now one of my favourite books.

Colossal Conan is the best Conan IMO, and it's by Busiek who has written pretty damn well over quite a few titles. Check out a trade, the art by Cary Nord is so damn good. Its very Frazetta esque.

Definitely a great buy for colossal Conan. I was surprised how many people had one to have Kurt Busiek sign earlier this year at Wizard World Portland. Mine did not come with the dust jacket though and confuseds me which way the book should properly stand up.

Incredible Member

Yeah I wasn't into the whole anthropomorphic animal thing, but Blacksad is amazing. The story Arctic Nation takes issues of race to unexpected levels. That one story is better than the majority of comics I have read. And the art is gorgeous. It sat on my shelf for months before I finally read it and I was annoyed with myself for having taken that long.

Incredible Member

Besides Hellboy, BRPD, Fear Agent, Conan and Blacksad, are there any other books people would recommend from Dark Horse that is available in HC?

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Besides Hellboy, BRPD, Fear Agent, Conan and Blacksad, are there any other books people would recommend from Dark Horse that is available in HC?
    Black Beetle and the Amazing Screw-on Head (unless you wanna count that as Hellboy since it's by Mignola). There's also the Mass Effect Library Edition if you like Mass Effect, but definitely the first two I listed.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

And don't forget Mind MGMT either. Great ongoing by Matt Kindt, with vol. 3 out later this month.