Page 12 of 122 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    The art in Sandman is phenomenal, it always has been even though there were different artists (even the current Sandman overture has great art). I'm also a modern art fan but I can appreciate 80's and 90's art. I usually don't buy early 80's or 70's since the art as well as the story feel dated altough I do have exceptions of course and sometimes love those stories (I have a soft spot for Squadron Supreme, New Teen titans and Suicide squad). The 90's and 00's are my times, all my favorite stories come from those times and it doesn't help most have great art from superstars like Cassaday and Sean Phillips. I instantly buy every OHC from those guys (which is why it drives me nuts I can't find affordable Astonishing X-men OHC'S or the omnibus). I do love me some Mignola Hellboy art though
    I would say Overture has the best art. J.H. Williams is just unreal (I haven't read overture yet but Williams is always fenomenal). I'm not to keen on the Sam Keith stuff but I'm generally not so fond of these early Vertigo style artworks (Troug's animal man or Thompsons work on The Invisibles). They seem like half developed to me, but it's not like I can't look at them, it's just feels like that something is missing. But the stories are so good, I just don't care.

Why do you feel 80's and 70's artwork is dated? I'm all for Sean Phillips and Cassaday but I cant help but be amazed by some Byrne, Cockrum or Buscema pages (and I'm not that old, I'm barely 28).

I've never cared about age as long as the art is good; my list of favourite artists includes people from differents time periods and styles.

And even if you dislike Dave Gibbons or Tim Sale's style, you can't deny that they are magnificient storytellers.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I would say Overture has the best art. J.H. Williams is just unreal (I haven't read overture yet but Williams is always fenomenal). I'm not to keen on the Sam Keith stuff but I'm generally not so fond of these early Vertigo style artworks (Troug's animal man or Thompsons work on The Invisibles). They seem like half developed to me, but it's not like I can't look at them, it's just feels like that something is missing. But the stories are so good, I just don't care.

Why do you feel 80's and 70's artwork is dated? I'm all for Sean Phillips and Cassaday but I cant help but be amazed by some Byrne, Cockrum or Buscema pages (and I'm not that old, I'm barely 28).
    Not all 70s art of course but most of it. I think it just looks a little dated, can't put my finger on it. I do love the art from Byrne, Perez, Buscema and other legends.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Not all 70s art of course but most of it. I think it just looks a little dated, can't put my finger on it. I do love the art from Byrne, Perez, Buscema and other legends.
    Well, truth be told, the 70s had their own Greg Lands and Brett Booths (a.k.a. terrible artists that constantly get work on important titles because they are fast and their comics sell well).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone not liking Mignola's artwork on Hellboy. To each their own, of course.
    I can't stand it, I hate it with a passion, there's no art I dislike more. I think Hellboy is a great character I'd love to read about but I'll never own a Hellboy book if they all have that godawful art style.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I can't stand it, I hate it with a passion, there's no art I dislike more. I think Hellboy is a great character I'd love to read about but I'll never own a Hellboy book if they all have that godawful art style.
    wow. That's quite a statement. What is it that you hate so much about it?

For myself, I just completely love Mignola's style. But then I have a basic inclination towards minimalism...

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post

For myself, I just completely love Mignola's style. But then I have a basic inclination towards minimalism...
    Same here.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post

I guess it's like how some people revere Picasso while it just looks like a load of nonsense to me.

I'm just very ultra conservative with what art I like, I generally don't like any unusual styles where things are out of proportion, abstract or minimalist. I struggle to articulate it because I don't know anything about art and as such don't know the terms for what I do and don't like. All I know is what is visually appealing to me and what isn't.

With Big Damn Sin City I can't say that I'm a big fan of the art, but I don't hate it, everyone says the Sin City stories are great reads so I'll be picking the book up as it's a good price for such a huge well made volume.

As for what art I do like, off the top of my head I love the art in Marvel's The Stand adaptation, that's really gorgeous work, great detail and colours and above all realistic so everything I enjoy. Only once have I enjoyed art that's a 'peculiar' style, I glanced at the Chew books and thought what is that rubbish when just flicking through, but after reading a few issues it very surprisingly grew on me and I found myself thinking it looked pretty cool so I bought the ohc. First and only time that's happened to me I have plenty of Bat books that I don't like the look of and always if I don't like how it looks at first glance then I dislike it just as much after I've finished reading.

Fantastic Member

Hmm, interesting. I like the art in The Stand too, but that's primarily because it seems to really suit the material. In general, I find myself not very drawn to "realistic" art much at all. I find it boring usually. My favorite artists tend to be guys like Mignola and Kirby, Jack Davis, Francavilla...

For me at least, it's because they're all drawn to look like plastic action figures. In the 90s everyone was trying to copy the "Image" style but before that many of the artists were all trying to pull off a single popular art style. Characters seem a little more stiff and plastic to me.

BANNED

So my Euro bros, you all waiting to see what Books_Any/BooksanywhereUS price the Sin City book or ordering from Amerika?

UK brits can take their speedyhen and keep their twits closed! ;( /envy

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    So my Euro bros, you all waiting to see what Books_Any/BooksanywhereUS price the Sin City book or ordering from Amerika?

UK brits can take their speedyhen and keep their twits closed! ;( /envy
    I pre-ordered it from Amazon.com, couldn't wait. 59 bucks is a good price, same as £36 and if the Hellboy LE sales tell us anything is that DH hardcovers don't go into clearance.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Just received an email that my Big damn Sin city will arrive on August 1... can't wait

Just received an email that my Big damn Sin city will arrive on August 1... can't wait
    I just posted some pictures of it in the geneal omnibus thread if you're interested. It looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I just posted some pictures of it in the geneal omnibus thread if you're interested. It looks amazing.
    There are also pics on page 11 of this thread...