Page 14 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    I ordered Big Damn Sin City from IST for $50 yesterday... and today sold all my Sin City TPBs for $75. Win-win.

Sight still unseen, I'd be happy with the purchase even if I couldn't sell the TPBs. (But I thought I'd probably be able to sell them quite easily.)

BDSC just looks incredibly awesome. I've nearly bought Colossal Conan for months now, after only ever reading the first issue of that series, simply because the Dark Horse deluxe Deluxe DELUXE editions look so awesome. But BDSC is even bigger than CC... and it's a classic series that I already love... and it has a cheaper cover price... and it was half-off at IST. Just an incredible deal.

Can't freaking wait to get this in the mail, sprawl out on my couch, and drag this monster onto my lap.
    Yeah I had an extra 2% off so mine was only 48.Got mine today, and you could totally kill someone with this thing. I don't think this thing can honestly be read any other way than on a desk/table. So unnecessarily huge, but it looks amazing. Thank God, it has a bookmark ribbon too, I wish more of the deluxe size books had them.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Amazing Member Black Iron Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogger View Post
    Recently, about 50% of the books I get from Speedyhen arrived damaged due to some ridiculous packaging, my copy of Inhumanity OHC arrived in one of those thin cardboard packs with every corner bashed and even the top mangled, same with my AoA companion which was packed tightly with heavier cardboard but nothing to protect the corners at all.

Their prices may be good, but their packaging is pretty hit and miss.

Has anybody else had any problems with this?
    I had a mangled copy of Metabarons, which they replaced (seriously, it looked like it had been ran over by the delivery van). Otherwise, no major packaging complaints. Customer service is good, although in the case of Metabarons they slightly annoyed me by repeatedly offering discounts (20%? 30%? 50%...?) when I'd already asked for a non-mangled replacement. I've swapped pretty much all of my pre-orders to them now, saving a buttload of money vs. Amazon UK.

Just ordered Big Damn Sin City, can't wait to get it!

I have a question about Colossal Conan: Do people feel the quality stays consistent throughout the entire book? I read some amazon reviews that mention the art and storytelling kinda fizzle out near the last third of the book and then pick up again at the end. Thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Dorktron; 07-02-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Amazing Member Black Iron Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post

I have a question about Colossal Conan: Do people feel the quality stays consistent throughout the entire book? I read some amazon reviews that mention the art and storytelling kinda fizzle out near the last third of the book and then pick up again at the end. Thoughts on this?
    I don't think the quality drops off, but there are a lot of flashback/flashforward issues in the last third that completely kill the momentum of the ongoing story. Personally I think they should have re-mapped the issues into chronological order, rather than publication order (i.e kicking off the book with the Greg Ruth flashback issues - #8, 15, 23, 32, 45, 46). It's just a pain flipping back and forth in a book that size; that's my only complaint about that awesome tome!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Iron Tarkus View Post
    I had a mangled copy of Metabarons, which they replaced (seriously, it looked like it had been ran over by the delivery van). Otherwise, no major packaging complaints. Customer service is good, although in the case of Metabarons they slightly annoyed me by repeatedly offering discounts (20%? 30%? 50%...?) when I'd already asked for a non-mangled replacement. I've swapped pretty much all of my pre-orders to them now, saving a buttload of money vs. Amazon UK.
    I agree, they do have good customer service, but last month alone, 5 of the 11 books I bought from them were damaged mainly due to them using those crappy thin cardboard sleeves (the kind that Amazon use to send dvds). Recently I've only complained about one book from them because I can't be bothered to send photos, go back and forth with emails refusing their offers of discounts and send back returns to finally get a replacement copy.

I've done the same and cancelled most of my pre-orders with amazon and ordered them from Speedyhen, it's just a shame so many are getting damaged during delivery.

Spectacular Member

In regards to the Robocop VS Terminator hardcover---is a galley edition like a library edition like the Buffy and Fear Agent book? Or is this Dark Horse's version of an artist edition?
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    In regards to the Robocop VS Terminator hardcover---is a galley edition like a library edition like the Buffy and Fear Agent book? Or is this Dark Horse's version of an artist edition?
    Artist Edition

Edit: IST description:
    One of the most beloved comics crossovers of all time is back to usher in Dark Horse's new gallery edition format-reprinting Walter Simonson's original art exactly as it appeared on his drawing table twenty years ago! Relive Simonson and writer Frank Miller's seamless blend of the RoboCop and Terminator worlds while marveling at the sheer virtuosity of Simonson's draftsmanship in all its original glory. In addition to the full story, this edition provides the greatest insight available into Simonson's process, with pages of his original pencils and promotional art faithfully reproduced, along with a revealing foreword by the artist himself!
    Edit again:
    By looking at the preview here: http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/24-423?page=0 it looks like it's both?
    Last edited by gearsofcrabs; 07-08-2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Anyone picking up The Strain HC? Curious if it is standard or oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post

They're idiots, its great.

I'm about 900 pages in and the last 5 or 6 issues have been what some might call fill ins, not of the main story line but most had some relevance to it. 3 of the issues were written by Mignola and form one story arc that does fit in to the regular storyline, and Cary Nord(the regular artist) draws quite a few pages with panels and monsters that clearly are Hellboy-sque. It was a treat to read and if you've read Hellboy before you will recognise the page layouts. Before that was a two issue segment that cleverly uses the storytelling(In Colossal Conan, an Adviser is "reading" the Tales of Conan to a prince, the same tales the reader is reading as it were.) to I guess remind the readers that these are not literal adaptions of RE Howards stories. Then there was a one off issue, from the cover it's a 100th anniversary or 100th issue, but they put RE Howard into Conans world as a storyteller, which is pretty cool.

Amazing Member

I thought Big Damn Sin City wasn't supposed to be out until the end of August? Shows how much I've been paying attention. IST has it for $58....I'd like to bite, but I don't know if I should hold off and see if it goes back to around $50 even.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    They're idiots, its great.
    Good to hear because I ordered it last week. I am really excited to read it and Big Damn Sin City!

Anyone knows anything about Grip: The Strange World of Men that DH solicited for release last week? It seems to have completely disappeared of their website...

My copy of Robocop vs Terminator finally arrived! its glorious!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    Anyone picking up The Strain HC? Curious if it is standard or oversized.
    I'll do it , but I'm from Spain so it will take a while to arrive

This is the info from Dark Horse webpage :

Publication Date:
    July 09, 2014
    Format:
    FC, 272 pages; HC, 7 1/4" x 10 7/8”
    Price:
    $29.99
    ISBN-10:
    1-61655-548-3
    ISBN-13:
    978-1-61655-548-1

Quote Originally Posted by ru1880 View Post
    I'll do it , but I'm from Spain so it will take a while to arrive

This is the info from Dark Horse webpage :

Publication Date:
    July 09, 2014
    Format:
    FC, 272 pages; HC, 7 1/4" x 10 7/8”
    Price:
    $29.99
    ISBN-10:
    1-61655-548-3
    ISBN-13:
    978-1-61655-548-1
    That is the oversized size if anyone is curious.