Page 45 of 122 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Picked up the Buffy Library Editions, and once again I am STUNNED by the quality and value of Dark Horse collected editions. These might be my favorite format of all - dust jacket with a heavy, glossy wrapped cover (not of the soft touch stuff that gets dinged if you look at it), and heavy bright white pages. And they're $30!

Honestly, despite being an insane Buffy fan I was always on the fence about picking them up, but now that I've held one I'll certainly be buying them all as they continue to come out.

Now I have Hellboy, Fear Agent, and Buffy. I wonder what I'll get addicted to next...
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Picked up the Buffy Library Editions, and once again I am STUNNED by the quality and value of Dark Horse collected editions. These might be my favorite format of all - dust jacket with a heavy, glossy wrapped cover (not of the soft touch stuff that gets dinged if you look at it), and heavy bright white pages. And they're $30!

Honestly, despite being an insane Buffy fan I was always on the fence about picking them up, but now that I've held one I'll certainly be buying them all as they continue to come out.

Now I have Hellboy, Fear Agent, and Buffy. I wonder what I'll get addicted to next...
    I've seen them at the LCS and always thought they looked like great quality OHC and a fantastic deal given their size and pagecount! How does a small company like Dark Horse do it while larger companies offer so much less for so much more?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

DH will release Kabuki LE's with the first in july. Very excited to get David Mack's art in LE size
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I've seen them at the LCS and always thought they looked like great quality OHC and a fantastic deal given their size and pagecount! How does a small company like Dark Horse do it while larger companies offer so much less for so much more?
    They just don't rip off their customers.

Same here, I can't believe quality of those editions, and the price. Other publishers should learn from them. Although Image is very good, and I've heard good words about parker Martini Edition - is on my list, just don't know when I can purchase it. But yeah, if we are talking Marvel and DC - DC has at least Absolute - then I'd agree completely, cover prices are too damn high.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I used up my budget for this month so I decided to use the coupon to pre-order the first Kabuki LE. At least I don't have to pay now then
    That's a good tip. Something to keep in mind for the next coupon. It's sad that Amazon doesn't offer more of these promotions.

I love the construction of the Hellboy LE's, but I'm just not the biggest fan of the material they use on the covers. Only complaint and it's minor in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I think it's been said in the Marvel thread, but in reverse. They're not after large profit margins. They make a profit, but care about their product and the fans. That would be my guess.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I love the construction of the Hellboy LE's, but I'm just not the biggest fan of the material they use on the covers. Only complaint and it's minor in hindsight.
    The material of the Hellboy covers makes me batty. I feel like I have to keep them shelved next to a lint-roller. But, better than the matte soft-touch black on the Fear Agents. I've worked with that coating before - it feels nice, but there's just no possible way to keep that finish looking good over time in white or black if you're handling them any reasonable amount.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Fantastic Member

May I ask you to tell something about this "Arkwright integral" book by Bryan Talbot? Is it good?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    May I ask you to tell something about this "Arkwright integral" book by Bryan Talbot? Is it good?
    it's great. i read some of it and my pre-ordered copy of this new collected edition is on the way. but i would certainly appreciate some pretty pictures of it - i think i saw a copy earlier in someone's haul picture in the General thread.

you can find a review here
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 12-13-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added a link

The material of the Hellboy covers makes me batty. I feel like I have to keep them shelved next to a lint-roller. But, better than the matte soft-touch black on the Fear Agents. I've worked with that coating before - it feels nice, but there's just no possible way to keep that finish looking good over time in white or black if you're handling them any reasonable amount.
    I literally received my copies today from CGN. I know what you mean. Damn they are AMAZING to look at and hold, but I can already see little scuff marks pop up. The Mind MGMT covers are an example of what I think looks great on a hardcover.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I literally received my copies today from CGN. I know what you mean. Damn they are AMAZING to look at and hold, but I can already see little scuff marks pop up. The Mind MGMT covers are an example of what I think looks great on a hardcover.
    I've said it before, but the Mind MGMT books are the best build of an initial-release series collection I've ever had the pleasure of holding in my hand. DH could reasonably charge twice as much for them and they would still be a deal.

Read the Buffy stuff 2-3 years ago and really like it. I'm not really into these licence materials but I think they did a quality job with Buffy ( but prepare for the ending of season 8, it's a bit insane).
    I would really like to get the library editions, donno why haven't bought them yet.

Incredible Member

Did anyone else notice this in the latest Dark Horse solicitations

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 3 TP & Ltd. Ed. HC
    • Also available in a signed and numbered hardcover edition, limited to 1,500 copies!

Errrr what? lemme go check the solicitations for volume 1 and 2 again.

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 1 TP & Ltd. HC

• Also available in a limited hardcover of 900 signed copies.

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 2 TP & Ltd. HC

So they are printing another 600 copies of the third hardcover! Now the question is are they a) upping the number of copies of Volume 2 as well and b) doing a second print of the first hardcover (maybe unsigned) so people (like myself, and many others on this board) who pre-ordered and lost out on volume 1 can have a complete run of books in the same format?

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Did anyone else notice this in the latest Dark Horse solicitations

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 3 TP & Ltd. Ed. HC
    • Also available in a signed and numbered hardcover edition, limited to 1,500 copies!

Errrr what? lemme go check the solicitations for volume 1 and 2 again.

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 1 TP & Ltd. HC

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 2 TP & Ltd. HC

So they are printing another 600 copies of the third hardcover! Now the question is are they a) upping the number of copies of Volume 2 as well and b) doing a second print of the first hardcover (maybe unsigned) so people (like myself, and many others on this board) who pre-ordered and lost out on volume 1 can have a complete run of books in the same format?
    They move in mysterious ways. Remember they only printed 500 copies for volume 1 of Jeremiah! And the more for 2 and 3. Makes no sense in my brain.

YEEEEEEEEAAAAHHH BAAAYYBEEEEH!!!!!
    GOON LEs!