Page 59 of 122 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

I am intrigued by the Patrick Graig Russel Gallery edition. If someone here has spotted (or see) some samples of it on the web don't hesitate to pass the link!

Spectacular Member

Hey all,

What do you guys think of the BPRD series? On par with Hellboy, quality-wise? Is there any continuity to the series or is it just 'random' arcs following each other?
    Thanks!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    Hey all,

What do you guys think of the BPRD series? On par with Hellboy, quality-wise? Is there any continuity to the series or is it just 'random' arcs following each other?
    Thanks!
    BPRD is amazing, I was dubious at first how well the universe could hold up without Hellboy as the focus of it all but once I picked up those Plague of Frogs omnibus edition I could not put them down. The character work and interweaving storylines are just brilliant. I've not read any of the Hell on Earth stuff yet, I was hoping to wait until they put it out in a similar format to the Plague of Frogs books but I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait that long.

Hey all,

Thanks!
    i find it a far better read than HB, and i love HB

Hey all,

Thanks!
    bit different tone but really good. It starts with shorter story arcs then it grows bigger and bigger. Highly recommended.

Fantastic Member

Quick question guys - are there any details about The Goon Library Editions? I've got Vol 1 pre-ordered but the details they list with it seem off unless it's not going to be a larger volume like the HB and Fear Agent LEs...

As far as BPRD goes, they are fantastic books. Every bit as good as Hellboy although as noted the tone is a little darker. I personally have a real specific appreciation for Mignola's art so I still prefer the Hellboy stuff but BPRD is awesome comics...

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Quick question guys - are there any details about The Goon Library Editions? I've got Vol 1 pre-ordered but the details they list with it seem off unless it's not going to be a larger volume like the HB and Fear Agent LEs...
    looks like it is going to be the first four trades that are collected, so i expect it will be at least the same size as the HB ones, possibly larger as i think vol 1 of the HBLE only collected the Wake the Devil & Seeds of Destruction stories

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the replies, guys !

HB LE 1 does contain de first two trades only (lots of extras though !)

All-New Member

Hello everyone,

Can someone advise me about BPRD Plague of Frogs HC/TPB? I want to buy collected editions, but HCs are somewhat expensive and 3rd Volume is not that easy to find, so I kinda feel towards TPBs - has anyone bought them? How they are in terms of, well, reading? Are they easy to open? 400+ is quite a number of pages for a TPB, so i feel a bit afraid they will fall apart/will be difficult to open. I'm not much of a collector, I just want to but them to read and re-read from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Elijah View Post
    Hello everyone,

Can someone advise me about BPRD Plague of Frogs HC/TPB? I want to buy collected editions, but HCs are somewhat expensive and 3rd Volume is not that easy to find, so I kinda feel towards TPBs - has anyone bought them? How they are in terms of, well, reading? Are they easy to open? 400+ is quite a number of pages for a TPB, so i feel a bit afraid they will fall apart/will be difficult to open. I'm not much of a collector, I just want to but them to read and re-read from time to time.

not sure where you are based but forbidden planet (which isn't cheap) are selling the HC for only £3-£4 more than the paperbacks, so i would just go the extra and get the HC as they are a very good quality, and just try and get vol 3 on eBay.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    not sure where you are based but forbidden planet (which isn't cheap) are selling the HC for only £3-£4 more than the paperbacks, so i would just go the extra and get the HC as they are a very good quality, and just try and get vol 3 on eBay.
    Thank you so much for the answer!
    The issue is, I'm from the Rasputin's homeland - harsh place where delivery rates are high, and Postal Service is brutal and slow, like death. I just registered on their site, but for some reason I can't see the Postage price - it says "TBC". But thanks anyway, I guess I'll keep searching for HC versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Elijah View Post
    Thank you so much for the answer!
    The issue is, I'm from the Rasputin's homeland - harsh place where delivery rates are high, and Postal Service is brutal and slow, like death. I just registered on their site, but for some reason I can't see the Postage price - it says "TBC". But thanks anyway, I guess I'll keep searching for HC versions.
    you won't be disappointed in them, they are really nice, and i recommend the next BPRD HC 1946 - 1948 another classic, i read somewhere that it's planned that all Hellboy related stuff will either be released as library editions (Hellboy) or omnis (everything else) and the BPRD books are about the perfect reading size, neither too big or too heavy.

you may want to check cheapcomics.com, they are based in the Netherlands and shipping to the UK was quite reasonable, so it may not be too expensive to the Motherland
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 06-02-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Fantastic Member

Here are the HCs from the September solicitations:

Archie vs. Predator HC
    Alex de Campi (W), Fernando Ruiz (P/Cover), Rich Koslowski (I/Cover), and Jason Millet (C)
    On sale Nov 4
    FC, 128 pages
    $19.99
    HC, 7" x 10"
    When Archie and friends head south for Spring Break, party games and beach games are soon replaced by the Most Dangerous Game! As the unparalleled fierceness of Betty and Veronica lures the trophy-collecting Predator to Riverdale, will the kids even realize they're in danger before it claims them all?! Collecting issues #1–#4 of the smash-hit series!
    "A mash-up for the ages."—USA Today
    "Archie vs. Predator #1 is a gift from God himself."—Comic Book Resources
    "The essence of what makes Archie comics work in conflict with what makes Predator work."—Multiversity Comics
    "If you thought Archie Meets the Punisher was bizarre, you haven't seen anything yet."—IGN

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Library Edition Volume 3 HC
    Joss Whedon (W), Andrew Chambliss (W), Jane Espenson (W), Georges Jeanty (P), Karl Moline (P), Phil Noto (P), Andy Owens (I), Dexter Vines (I), Karl Story (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)
    On sale Nov 11
    FC, 304 pages
    $29.99
    HC, 8" x 12 3/16"
    Buffy, Xander, and Willow confront new enemies—a superbeing bent on revenge, a Slayer gone rogue, and the ancient god who created vampires—in a battle that will change the shape of the world. Buffy, with a little help from her friends, rediscovers what it truly means to be a Slayer. Collects Buffy Season 9 Volumes 4 and 5.
    • Expanded sketchbook and deluxe oversized format.

The Goon Library Volume 1 HC
    Eric Powell (W/A/Cover)
    On sale Nov 11
    FC, 496 pages
    $39.99
    HC, 8" x 12 3/16"
    Lonely Street comes under all manner of threats both tragic and hilarious in this deluxe hardcover edition of The Goon.
    The Nameless Man, the Zombie Priest, has come to town to build a gang from the undead. Yet even with an unlimited supply of soldiers, the Priest cannot move in on the territory controlled by the crime boss Labrazio and his unstoppable enforcer—the Goon. But when the Priest discovers Goon's most closely held secret, the balance of power threatens to change forever! Collects The Goon Volumes 0–3.
    • Created by Eisner Award winner Eric Powell!
    "Powell has done something truly special with the art and made Goon more captivating than ever." —AiPT!
    "The action flows so cohesively from one panel to the next, you're engaged from the first smashed window." —Nerds on the Rocks

Kabuki Library Edition Volume 2 HC
    David Mack (W/A/Cover)
    On sale Nov 25
    FC, 400 pages
    $39.99
    HC, 9" x 12"
    Celebrating twenty years of Kabuki, this second volume in a complete set of large, oversized library editions of the entire critically acclaimed Kabuki series collects the Kabuki volumes Skin Deep and Metamorphosis.
    Isolated and psychologically tormented, Kabuki finds her only friend in a mystery woman who sends her handwritten notes folded into origami animals. Featuring a total of twelve separate issues and collected with loads of extras, this is the next great edition that fans of Mack and Kabuki have been waiting for.
    "You're going to be blown away by the amazing work in this collection!"—Brian Michael Bendis
    "One of the true geniuses of the medium."—Entertainment Weekly

The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 5 Ltd. Ed. HC
    Stan Sakai (W/A/Cover)
    On sale Nov 25
    b&w, 552 pages
    $79.99
    Ltd. Ed. HC, 7" x 10"
    In this fifth definitive Usagi Yojimbo compilation, the rabbit ronin's friendship with retainer Tomoe Ame is spotlighted in the epic-length "Mother of Mountains," her origin "Tomoe's Story," and the poignant tea-ceremony tale "Chanoyu." Collects Usagi Yojimbo Volume 3 #76–#93, Usagi Yojimbo Color Special #1–#3, and more!
    • Full-color cover gallery!
    • Also available in a signed and numbered hardcover edition, limited to 1,500 copies!

World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 HC
    Matt Burns (W), Peter Lee (A), and Joseph Lacroix (A)
    On sale November 4
    FC, 184 pages
    $39.99
    HC, 9" x 12"
    Journey through an age of myth and legend, long before the Horde and the Alliance. This definitive tome reveals untold stories about the birth of the cosmos, the rise of ancient empires, and the forces that shaped Azeroth. Featuring original art, this is the first in a multipart series exploring the rich lore of the Warcraft universe, from the distant past to the modern era.
    • Featuring over twenty full-page illustrations by fan favorite Peter Lee!
    • Must-read companion to the Warcraft series.
    • Never-before-revealed secrets of the Warcraft universe!

Hmmmm someone sell me on The Goon.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    Hmmmm someone sell me on The Goon.
    It is funny, violent but has a lot of dramatic, emotional moments. Powell makes you care about his silly characters. It has a strong noir-horror vibe and the artwork is really really good. Cartoony but detailed and the whole thing is crafted with care.
    Also, this panel: