Page 64 of 122 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Any opinions, reviews on Kindt's Pistolwhip? Is it a good showcase of his talents? Never read anything by him.
    Liking mine so far. The book is a hell of a deal at $27.99 US. The first story is really emotional and hits you pretty hard. It's a bit of a prologue though. Then they get into the meat of the story and it's already got me asking a ton of questions. You've got to like Kindt's style though. It's very surreal/cartoony and I believe he does all his own lettering. To me, it makes every page look like a work of art. If you enjoy it, or get past it, he's great at weaving a mystery tale. He keeps lots of threads going and then ties them in nicely. He also doesn't hold your hand and sometimes you need someone to discuss the work with. Think the movie Memento.

I think Pistolwhip is an older work by him, so I'm not sure if it will show in terms of his writing/drawing skills. I have read all 4 of the available hardcovers of Mind MGMT and love it though. I believe it's his magnum opus (so far at least). He uses beautiful watercolors and every bit of every page contains little tidbits to help engross you in the story.
    "1000 Books Read in 2015" Status as of 8/11/2015: 706

Reading: Chew, 52

Quote Originally Posted by awalk1227 View Post
    Liking mine so far. The book is a hell of a deal at $27.99 US. The first story is really emotional and hits you pretty hard. It's a bit of a prologue though. Then they get into the meat of the story and it's already got me asking a ton of questions. You've got to like Kindt's style though. It's very surreal/cartoony and I believe he does all his own lettering. To me, it makes every page look like a work of art. If you enjoy it, or get past it, he's great at weaving a mystery tale. He keeps lots of threads going and then ties them in nicely. He also doesn't hold your hand and sometimes you need someone to discuss the work with. Think the movie Memento.

I think Pistolwhip is an older work by him, so I'm not sure if it will show in terms of his writing/drawing skills. I have read all 4 of the available hardcovers of Mind MGMT and love it though. I believe it's his magnum opus (so far at least). He uses beautiful watercolors and every bit of every page contains little tidbits to help engross you in the story.
    Thank you for your opinion, probably gonna end up buying it sooner than later.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Any opinions, reviews on Kindt's Pistolwhip? Is it a good showcase of his talents? Never read anything by him.
    I don't own the new HC, but I do own the older Top Shelf Pistolwhip oversized tpbs. It's a great series, although it may take some time to really appreciate Kindt's skills. This is his drawing at its most minimalist. Jason Hall is the writer, and he also had two good Vertigo series, Beware the Creeper with Cliff Chiang and Trigger with John Watkiss. If you like, say, Rucka's Lazarus, I'd recommend checking out Trigger, which explores many similiar themes. (I think Hall primarily does animation and video game work these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I don't own the new HC, but I do own the older Top Shelf Pistolwhip oversized tpbs. It's a great series, although it may take some time to really appreciate Kindt's skills. This is his drawing at its most minimalist. Jason Hall is the writer, and he also had two good Vertigo series, Beware the Creeper with Cliff Chiang and Trigger with John Watkiss. If you like, say, Rucka's Lazarus, I'd recommend checking out Trigger, which explores many similiar themes. (I think Hall primarily does animation and video game work these days.)
    thanks, gonna look up Trigger and Pistolwhip is going higher and higher on my wishlist

Like Memento you say? Oh man, I gotta cop this quick...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Like Memento you say? Oh man, I gotta cop this quick...
    Sorry if I sounded too definitive about the comparison - the story is nothing like it. The idea of "did this really happen?" "If so, when/where did it happen?" is what makes them similar in feel. Regarding Mind MGMT I frequently have to discuss with people about whether something was a dream/vision/hallucination or if it really happened. It's a wild ride to read through it and speculate, though!
    "1000 Books Read in 2015" Status as of 8/11/2015: 706

Reading: Chew, 52

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Are the Creepy Presents HC's oversized?

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Are the Creepy Presents HC's oversized?
    Yes, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Yes, they are.
    Sweet, thanks bud!

Here's another question for the Dark Horse gang: is Big Guy and Rusty Boy Robot by Miller and Darrow any good?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Here's another question for the Dark Horse gang: is Big Guy and Rusty Boy Robot by Miller and Darrow any good?
    It's decent. The stories are a bit slight, but Darrow's art is fantastic as always. I'd say it's a really great book for kids, but can be enjoyed by adults.

Yeah, it's pretty good.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's decent. The stories are a bit slight, but Darrow's art is fantastic as always. I'd say it's a really great book for kids, but can be enjoyed by adults.
    a sentence I thought I would never read about Frank Miller's work.

a sentence I thought I would never read about Frank Miller's work.
    That's what makes it pretty interesting. Miller and Darrow doing an Astro Boy pastiche.
    BB

Hmmm. Interesting. Not sure if I'm going to pull on the hardcover or not.