Page 97 of 122 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1818

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    thanks for checking! if it's readable then it's cool. Am I gonna be lost without the Batman crossovers though?

btw, the Grendel Tales omnibus seems to be happening in August:
    https://www.amazon.com/Matt-Wagners-...N%3D1506703283
    As a rule I like Wagner stuff but as much as I tried I really couldn't get into Grendel, I had the first two mini DH omni things and ended up selling them

thanks for checking! if it's readable then it's cool. Am I gonna be lost without the Batman crossovers though?

btw, the Grendel Tales omnibus seems to be happening in August:
    https://www.amazon.com/Matt-Wagners-...N%3D1506703283
    You won't be lost. They're more of Easter eggs for the first volume and then the second is explained.
    Also, thanks for that link - can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    As a rule I like Wagner stuff but as much as I tried I really couldn't get into Grendel, I had the first two mini DH omni things and ended up selling them
    Do you recall what the titles were? DH reprinted a lot of the Comico stuff and he even had some new stuff published by DH. Just curious really. I liked all the Grendel stuff but I get it. It's not for everyone. I'm also a Wagner fan but for the life of me I couldn't get into his Shadow Year One.

awesome, thanks! I will probably get the Batman crossover trade at one point if I find a good deal on it (and not a used copy for 20quid from a seller I know will ship it in a nylon bag).

Devil Quest, one of the last Grendel stories in the timeline, sets up the second Batman/Grendel crossover. I don't think you will be lost, though--basically, Grendel-Prime disappears for a bit (when he is transported to Gotham) and then reappears after the events of the crossover. (I always wanted to see Wagner do more with the... colorful cast of supporting characters that only appear in the Devil Quest story.)

My biggest reservation about the Omnibuses would be that some of the text might be too small to comfortably read (I'm thinking of the prose in Devil by the Deed and the walls of text in Devil's Reign here). Also, I don't like putting the later Hunter Rose stuff before the '80s Comico run because of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenAmako View Post
    Devil Quest, one of the last Grendel stories in the timeline, sets up the second Batman/Grendel crossover. I don't think you will be lost, though--basically, Grendel-Prime disappears for a bit (when he is transported to Gotham) and then reappears after the events of the crossover. (I always wanted to see Wagner do more with the... colorful cast of supporting characters that only appear in the Devil Quest story.)

My biggest reservation about the Omnibuses would be that some of the text might be too small to comfortably read (I'm thinking of the prose in Devil by the Deed and the walls of text in Devil's Reign here). Also, I don't like putting the later Hunter Rose stuff before the '80s Comico run because of spoilers.
    yeah I'm quite spoiled by ohcs so I'm a bit concerned about the size. I was wondering if DH will ever collect this series in any other form but then I've seen that the Grendel Tales is coming out so I think it will be a long wait for a different Grendel collection. And I really enjoy reading Wagner's books...

Regarding the reading order: I'm sure Wagner had to approve it.

yeah I'm quite spoiled by ohcs so I'm a bit concerned about the size. I was wondering if DH will ever collect this series in any other form but then I've seen that the Grendel Tales is coming out so I think it will be a long wait for a different Grendel collection. And I really enjoy reading Wagner's books...

Regarding the reading order: I'm sure Wagner had to approve it.
    It is a little annoying that some parts of the series were released in hardcovers while others were only put out as trades.

Here's a pic of my Grendel HC/TPB collection:

Top row (from left to right):
    Grendel: Devil by the Deed HC (Graphitti Designs)
    Grendel: Devil's Legacy HC (Graphitti Designs)
    Grendel: The Devil Inside HC (Graphitti Designs)
    Grendel: God and the Devil TPB (Dark Horse)

Second row:
    The Art of Matt Wagner's Grendel HC (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: War Child HC (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil's Reign TPB (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil Quest HC (Dark Horse)
    Batman/Grendel HC (DC/Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil Child HC (Dark Horse)
    2014 Baltimore Comic-Con Yearbook Celebrating Grendel HC

Bottom row:
    Grendel: Behold the Devil HC (Dark Horse)
    Grendel vs. The Shadow HC (Dark Horse/Dynamite)
    Grendel Tales: Devils and Deaths TPB (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil Tales TPB (Dark Horse)
    Grendel Cycle TPB (Dark Horse)

Thanks for helping out the other poster with this info. I was on my phone and it was too much for my thumbs. Without spoiling anything, remember the broken arm Easter Egg after bat/Grendel vol. 1.

Regarding the order, I don't know if you ever could do a correct order. I mean Devil by the Deed was the beginning, middle and end all in one shot and then all the other stuff (black, white, red, etc.) all kind of fit somewhere in between. You'd have to dismantle "Deed."

Also, an Argent collection would be cool. I read it years ago and recall it having chapters (in the back( from a prose book that Wagner was working on (maybe that never happened and I'm losing my mind) but there was a black, white and red story that kind of emulated it. I don't want to do obvious spoilers but it was a final conversation between Hunter and Argent.

In addition, there was a short story in AI - if I recall correctly - that took place after Brian's turn as Grendel. The cop who had been chasing him donned the mask. Very interesting. Not sure if that got reprinted.

The only Grendel I really wouldn't suggest is those original No. 1-3 and Comico Primer, which were finally collected in a hardcover years after Wagner said it would never happen. I believe he was 17 when he wrote those. You could see touches of brilliance but the writing was still somewhat immature.

On a side note, when Dark Horse reprinted the original Comico issues, they made a slight change in the dialogue of issue # 1. I actually wrote in about it and not only got my letter published by Diane Schutz sent me a ton of swag for noticing it.
    Last edited by TomSlick; 02-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Do you recall what the titles were? DH reprinted a lot of the Comico stuff and he even had some new stuff published by DH. Just curious really. I liked all the Grendel stuff but I get it. It's not for everyone. I'm also a Wagner fan but for the life of me I couldn't get into his Shadow Year One.
    I think it was Hunter Rose & Legacy (omnibus vol's 1 & 2) and I loved his shadow year one

Anybody have any news on any new LE's?
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 02-20-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks for helping out the other poster with this info. I was on my phone and it was too much for my thumbs. Without spoiling anything, remember the broken arm Easter Egg after bat/Grendel vol. 1.
    Always happy to come out of lurking to talk Grendel.

Regarding the order, I don't know if you ever could do a correct order. I mean Devil by the Deed was the beginning, middle and end all in one shot and then all the other stuff (black, white, red, etc.) all kind of fit somewhere in between. You'd have to dismantle "Deed."
    I was referring to mild spoilers for post-Hunter Grendel storylines that show up towards the end of Behold the Devil, which was partly commemorating 25 years of the character. It's in the first Omnibus volume.

Also, an Argent collection would be cool. I read it years ago and recall it having chapters (in the back( from a prose book that Wagner was working on (maybe that never happened and I'm losing my mind) but there was a black, white and red story that kind of emulated it. I don't want to do obvious spoilers but it was a final conversation between Hunter and Argent.
    I remember Silverback (the three-issue Argent origin story miniseries). Yes, one issue featured an excerpt of a Grendel prose novel that never saw the light of day (like Wagner's planned erotic graphic novel). I wasn't a big fan of the art in Silverback back then for some reason, but I wouldn't mind seeing it collected one day.

In addition, there was a short story in AI - if I recall correctly - that took place after Brian's turn as Grendel. The cop who had been chasing him donned the mask. Very interesting. Not sure if that got reprinted.
    Yes, Wiggins (the cop with the eye) briefly took up the mantle. This short story was reprinted in an A1 collection. I happened to see it in a store not long ago, and flipped through it to see if the Grendel story was in there (and it was).

The only Grendel I really wouldn't suggest is those original No. 1-3 and Comico Primer, which were finally collected in a hardcover years after Wagner said it would never happen. I believe he was 17 when he wrote those. You could see touches of brilliance but the writing was still somewhat immature.
    Yeah, you might have noticed that I don't have the Grendel Archives HC in my collection. I might pick it up one day, but I'm not in a hurry.

On a side note, when Dark Horse reprinted the original Comico issues, they made a slight change in the dialogue of issue # 1. I actually wrote in about it and not only got my letter published by Diane Schutz sent me a ton of swag for noticing it.
    Now I'm really curious about what was changed, since I never picked up the Dark Horse reprint of the Christine Spar issues. Was it the reference to Phil Donahue in the future?

This thread made me flip through my Art of Grendel book. Man, it's heartbreaking to read that the artist of Grendel Tales: Devils and Deaths (the best of the "Grendel Tales," in my opinion) passed away at age 30 just a few years after winning an award for "Most Promising Newcomer." His stuff was really good, too.

I think it was Hunter Rose & Legacy (omnibus vol's 1 & 2) and I loved his shadow year one

Anybody have any news on any new LE's?
    Hellboydce, the LE (I'm assuming you mean Library Edition) I'm waiting for is another Hellboy Library Edition collecting Hellboy in Hell. So far I've managed to reisist buying the trades. I know it's coming eventually, or at least, it better be!

Hellboydce, the LE (I'm assuming you mean Library Edition) I'm waiting for is another Hellboy Library Edition collecting Hellboy in Hell. So far I've managed to reisist buying the trades. I know it's coming eventually, or at least, it better be!
    Is hellboy in hell now complete? I'm also waiting on the next bprd omni, has hell on earth finished yet?

Is hellboy in hell now complete? I'm also waiting on the next bprd omni, has hell on earth finished yet?
    I think both are finished and there is enough material for a new Hellboy LE and like 4 BPRD hcs. They are knee deep in Hellboy and the BPRD. Also what's up with other Mignolaverse titles? Where is the Abe Sapien or Witchfinder hardcover? Come on DH!

that's really cool!

It is a little annoying that some parts of the series were released in hardcovers while others were only put out as trades.

Here's a pic of my Grendel HC/TPB collection:

Top row (from left to right):
    Grendel: Devil by the Deed HC (Graphitti Designs)
    Grendel: Devil's Legacy HC (Graphitti Designs)
    Grendel: The Devil Inside HC (Graphitti Designs)
    Grendel: God and the Devil TPB (Dark Horse)

Second row:
    The Art of Matt Wagner's Grendel HC (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: War Child HC (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil's Reign TPB (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil Quest HC (Dark Horse)
    Batman/Grendel HC (DC/Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil Child HC (Dark Horse)
    2014 Baltimore Comic-Con Yearbook Celebrating Grendel HC

Bottom row:
    Grendel: Behold the Devil HC (Dark Horse)
    Grendel vs. The Shadow HC (Dark Horse/Dynamite)
    Grendel Tales: Devils and Deaths TPB (Dark Horse)
    Grendel: Devil Tales TPB (Dark Horse)
    Grendel Cycle TPB (Dark Horse)
    Batman-Grendel hc! Damn! That thing goes for silly prices nowadays. You guys really convinced me to go for this series. Thanks!