Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Barabra's origin has her as a literal avatar of a god. It can be Urzkartaga, it could be "huntress goddess" or whatever in the Nu52, or it can be an Egyptian god. Complaining that Cheetah losing to a fight against catwoman, green arrow, batman, or any other street level character doesn't mean that people want her dumbed down. Complaining that Cheetah gets treated unfairly constantly and gets underwhelming shows doesn't mean we don't want her to be smart.

Here's a concept, Barabra maintains her intellect and craftiness AND is ALSO a physical threat to Diana. It's a challenge, I know, having someone be really smart and really strong, but it is doable.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Barabra's origin has her as a literal avatar of a god. It can be Urzkartaga, it could be "huntress goddess" or whatever in the Nu52, or it can be an Egyptian god. Complaining that Cheetah losing to a fight against catwoman, green arrow, batman, or any other street level character doesn't mean that people want her dumbed down. Complaining that Cheetah gets treated unfairly constantly and gets underwhelming shows doesn't mean we don't want her to be smart.

Here's a concept, Barabra maintains her intellect and craftiness AND is ALSO a physical threat to Diana. It's a challenge, I know, having someone be really smart and really strong, but it is doable.
    Yeah, having her transform from human to monster and back was a great idea for Barbara.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

i like my Cheetah with a side of crafty.
    It’s why I liked Barbara’s old power set where she could be really smart but physically weak, or really strong but mentally and animal. Ironically, despite the restrictions, it somehow gave her more villain scheme options.
    The way Perez had it set up was really interesting. She could be both a schemer and a physical threat, and the Cheetah transformation was potentially just one thing in her arsenal. Her being "mode locked" in just Cheetah form seldom works. Rucka's Rebirth run made it work because they played up the tragic body horror aspect, but subsequent writers haven't done much with it.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post

I know that's not what the majority of WW fans, but sometimes it comes across that way when fans only talk about her as a physical threat and what kind of fight scenes she can give us. I think they can acknowledge that losing to Batman or Green Arrow is unacceptable and still talk about various aspects of what makes her a threat.

Especially when they dismiss Priscilla as a threat, despite the fact that the crazy lady in furs has a better track record as a competent foe (relative to the tone of stories she's in) than the God-powered version.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Depends on the character and how you approach things. Barbra version of Cheetah is supposed to be a powerful being. She has no reason to be treated as the punching bag of a woman in a cat suit, just because she is the more popular cat character and the writer wanted a cat fight.
    Okay, the basic impression I get from your multitude of repetitive posts is that you only see worth in WW and Cheetah just so long as they're tougher than pretty much everyone else? I'm sorry (not really), but that's a really shallow reading of the characters.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    She even became WW for a hot second.

Man, that episode of Challenge of the Super Friends was so good.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    When did being an arch nemesis get dumbed down to "hitting real hard"?

Priscilla wasn't a weak link because she was crafty and not dumb enough to fight Diana directly. She relied on schemes like framing her, tying her up with the lasso or stealing Hippolyta's Girdle to become invincible so she could go toe to toe with Diana. Between Justice and Batman: the Brave and the Bold she also has a better track record than the God-empowered Barbara. She is the only Cheetah to have managed to kill Diana in a story, and it took literal divine intervention to undo it.

Cheetah (any version) should be respected enough that she is a challenge to any hero she faces even if she must lose, and the Barbara Minerva version in particular shouldn't be brought in for street level heroes. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think some WW fans here want her to be treated as a purely physical threat as if she's Doomsday or something, and has no worth beyond that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

i like my Cheetah with a side of crafty.
    It’s why I liked Barbara’s old power set where she could be really smart but physically weak, or really strong but mentally and animal. Ironically, despite the restrictions, it somehow gave her more villain scheme options.
    I completely forgot about this. As much as Perez's version was not to my taste, this was a really good take on Cheetah's powers.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Okay, the basic impression I get from your multitude of repetitive posts is that you only see worth in WW and Cheetah just so long as they're tougher than pretty much everyone else? I'm sorry (not really), but that's a really shallow reading of the characters.
    I never said that. But if you think i'm wrong for wanting them to be respected in their role of super powerful beings like they are supposed to be. Then i don't know what to tell you.

nyone can defeat anyone under certain circumstances. If writers give a good reason. It wasn't the case in the catwoman film. Cheetah was simply a jobber.

Extraordinary Member

What does cheetah want ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    What does cheetah want ?
    Depends on the Cheetah.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

What does cheetah want ?
    Apparently to play a game of cat and mouse, only in this case she would be the strongest, fastest, most deadly cat ever versus the equivalent of a white lab mouse.

I guess the mouse won in this case!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Apparently to play a game of cat and mouse, only in this case she would be the strongest, fastest, most deadly cat ever versus the equivalent of a white lab mouse.

I guess the mouse won in this case!

That’s Proably why she isn’t taken seriously. The apex predator thing is kinda dumb and also impossible for her unless she doesn’t count Superman?

257C5A75-9DB0-4722-8BBB-496A401D7660.jpg

Mighty Member

That’s Proably why she isn’t taken seriously. The apex predator thing is kinda dumb and also impossible for her unless she doesn’t count Superman?

257C5A75-9DB0-4722-8BBB-496A401D7660.jpg
    Since when is Superman a predator or relevant for Cheetah?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Since when is Superman a predator or relevant for Cheetah?
    My civilian impression of her from several animated movies is she wants to kill Diana to prove she is the apex predator?

am I close

Mighty Member

My civilian impression of her from several animated movies is she wants to kill Diana to prove she is the apex predator?

am I close
    Not very close for many of the comic incarnations to be honest, but how would that even be related to Superman?