Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Money, Angel, Mansion, Matrix — You Choose

Plot Gods offer you a choice between one off these four life modifications:

• Old Money: A Mandela effect takes place. Your parents and grandparents are still yours, wife and children, etc, but you had ancestors that were either 19th century robber barons, or aristocrats, or both. You recall being raised in high society, hobnobbing with kings and Rockefellers. When you reach(ed) eighteen, you receive(d) a trust fund of at least $250 million, possibly more. You can still recall the defunct timeline.

• Guardian Angel: You get a guardian angel. He’s invisible, intangible, and rarely communicates. But he does act to prevent various disasters, like auto collisions, slipping on ice, shooing muggers away, healing you if you get badly ill/injured, and other such feats. He may occasionally warn you not to do something that will turn out badly. You cannot command him; he acts at his own discretion.

• Mage’s Magnificent Mansion: You can cast this at will as a 20th-level mage, as the 3.5 D&D spell, no limit to duration. If you want the invisible gate to open at a new location, the Mansion moves to accommodate you. If you want, you can accelerate the time frame within the Mansion so that it moves 100x faster than outside time (can reset to normal time frame at will). Possessions remain safely stored within the mansion even if you temporarily "uncast" the spell.

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. I meant that if you're outside the mansion, you can recreate a new entrance (the old one is rendered defunct). Sorry, it's not a teleporter for you, yourself, although you could ferry people and possessions inside it.

• Virtual Reality: You get an aviator's cap with goggles (looking very much like Snoopy the Dog’s, lol). When you place the goggles over your eyes, you get immersed in a virtual reality as realistic as that of the Matrix film. Place the cap on your head, speak the scenario you desire, and then lower the goggles, and that’s the program you’re in. If you die in the scenario it's all good; it's just a program, you're still fine in real life.

If you want to opt out, the Plot Gods give you the consolation prize of a purple poker chip. You can use this to get out of any one traffic violation. So, if you get, say, a parking ticket, use the chip and it goes away (so does the chip).
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-04-2022 at 02:00 PM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Hmm...

Mansion seems like the favourite for me at the moment. Can I have some more details?

- What does the spell of Mansion actually entail?
    - Does the Guardian Angel on protect strictly me? Or would it consider protection of my household or family within its remit for example? Also, when you say "warns you things might go bad," how precog-ish are we talking here?
    - With the Matrix one, how accurate to reality or a given scenario is it? Can I amend or fast track a scenario? Like, could I model elections with it or something?

Mighty Member

Virtual Reality. No real consequences to anyone else or the world, but I get to live out any and every fantasy of my choosing? Yes please.

Guardian Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    - What does the spell of Mansion actually entail?
    See here: Mage's Magnificent Mansion. The OP modifies this somewhat, makes it even better. "At will" means no real spell-casting is involved in the formal sense. Like a D&D deity, you simply will the effect to occur.

Also, you can create electrical outlets that work, so you can create electric lighting and plug in your computer, etc. No internet connection or phone calls out, though. You're in a pocket dimension.

- Does the Guardian Angel on protect strictly me? Or would it consider protection of my household or family within its remit for example? Also, when you say "warns you things might go bad," how precog-ish are we talking here?
    He's your guardian angel, not theirs. He might tell you they were in danger though. Like, you might suddenly hear a voice inside your head saying, "Go home. Turn off the gas."

It's hard to say how pre-cogish the angel is. Better than any of us; smarter, wiser, more far-seeing. Superior in every way, including benevolence and adherence to duty.

- With the Matrix one, how accurate to reality or a given scenario is it? Can I amend or fast track a scenario? Like, could I model elections with it or something?
    The scenarios are as detailed as the world of 1999 in the Matrix, although the VR cap creates fictional worlds. Unlike the holodeck in TNG, it's not advisable to use it as a model for scientific and technological problems.

So no, it's not a tool for illuminating the truth of our own universe.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-03-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    See here: Mage's Magnificent Mansion. This description is all you really know, although the OP modifies it somewhat, makes it even better.

And obviously, "at will" means no real spell-casting is involved in the formal sense. Like a D&D deity, you simply will the effect to occur.
    I'm gonna go with Mansion.

How would the logistics of getting internet in there? Would it be like you have to run a cable through the portal?

Also, if I have housemates and I designate them access can they come and go as they please or do I have to be door man?

Also, also, if I have people in the mansion and leave the mansion and move it, would that present any problems?

I'm gonna go with Mansion.

How would the logistics of getting internet in there? Would it be like you have to run a cable through the portal?

Also, if I have housemates and I designate them access can they come and go as they please or do I have to be door man?

Also, also, if I have people in the mansion and leave the mansion and move it, would that present any problems?
    Just amended this. You can conjure up electrical outlets and appliances as part of the furnishings, but no internet across dimensions.

"Only those you designate may enter the mansion, and the portal is shut and made invisible behind you when you enter."

Sounds like yes, you can designate people to have the "key" that opens the door. At least, that's how I would interpret this spell if I were a DM. It would be very inconvenient to a D&D party if the wizard had to play doorman all day, so I assume the spell covers things like allies, if desired.

Everything and everyone in the mansion is safe and just fine even if you're not there. Possibly, you're only really moving the doorway/access portal. Sort of like Magik accessing Limbo from different locations. (Doesn't Reed Richards study this kind of stuff? Always in the Negative zone when you need him....)

Possessions are preserved even if you "uncast" the spell, but I would try it out on some kind of lab mouse before doing this to actual people.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-03-2022 at 01:59 PM.

These random threads are the reason I come back here from time to time. I do recall this one from an older thread:

[*]Mage’s Magnificent Mansion: You can cast this at will as a 20th-level mage, as the 3.5 D&D spell, no limit to duration. If you want the invisible gate to open at a new location, the Mansion moves to accommodate you. If you want, you can accelerate the time frame within the Mansion so that it moves 100x faster than outside time (can reset to normal time frame at will). Possessions remain safely stored within the mansion even if you temporarily "uncast" the spell.
    So, questions:
    1) Does the mansion still have priceless furniture and other goods to sell?
    2) My immediate instinct is to move the Mansion door while I'm inside the mansion, which is basically letting me portal to anywhere in the world. Does this still work?

If so, then Mansion. But these are all good. Thinking about the pros and cons in more detail:

Old money means I probably never have to work again (or can be extremely flexible with any paid work that I do). It'll definitely allow for a more luxurious lifestyle if that's what I care about.

Mansion is free real estate (like, a lot of it) and customizable, with free food and electricity, goods that I can potentially sell if I need some extra cash, and the ability to travel anywhere... OK this is just straight up better than old money for most practical purposes in my current life.

Guardian Angel is really nice because it means I won't fall sick again and be protected from sudden trauma as well as being advised not to do things that can lead to harm. However, this can be kind of a double edged sword since presumably you're always being watched and it may make no effort to prevent anyone else that I care about from getting hurt.

The magical VR set is really interesting. What actually happens to your real body when you're inside the simulation? Do you still need to take care of your real body? Are there any time limits to the simulation?

Money or Guardian Angel seems of the most use to me right now. I live in a third world country, and 250 million dollars will go much much farther here than most places.

The GA is nice, but if he acts on his own discretion and focuses on accidents its not as much use to me as a whole pile of money.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Looking at the mansion right now. Free food forever, can probably donate some of that as well. Travel without using gas, safe place to go when I travel (and free!). Yeah, good with this. Keep our apartment for internet.

Would have gone for the money, but using 90% of it to try to fix people’s problems now doesn’t change that it probably came from sources i do not like, with a history I do not like. Bleah.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sol_M View Post
    1) Does the mansion still have priceless furniture and other goods to sell?
    The spell description says the mansion comes furnished. It says nothing about priceless furniture.

I suppose if you really wanted to, you could sell the furnishings, "uncast" the spell and then "recast" it to make more furniture.

Because it's the Mage's Mansion of modern folk like us, we are conceding electric lights and gas stoves and microwave ovens and stuff.

I suppose you could sell that stuff too.

I gotta say, though, moving all that furniture and stuff, much of it heavy, it sounds like a lot of work to me. I wouldn't want to do all that heavy lifting. If you're this strapped for cash, wouldn't Old Money be the way to go?

"The place is furnished and contains sufficient foodstuffs to serve a nine-course banquet to a dozen people per caster level....."

Or you could set up a deal with a restaurant owner.

2) My immediate instinct is to move the Mansion door while I'm inside the mansion, which is basically letting me portal to anywhere in the world. Does this still work?
    The spell description says nothing about using the dimension for teleportation. So no, not a teleportation device. Although it could be for any people inside, but you'd have to be the ferryman, so to speak.

Sorry, my bad. See the edit. I meant only that if you moved around in the real world, you could crash the old gate and create a new one at your new location.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. But that was what I meant.

You could smuggle contraband across borders, if you wanted to. Now you're gonna see some money.

Sounds to me like a lot of work, and dangerous. Why wouldn't you just choose the inherited wealth and kick back?

What actually happens to your real body when you're inside the simulation? Do you still need to take care of your real body? Are there any time limits to the simulation?
    You go limp, in a half-awake state.

Yes, you have to take care of your real body, but entering the VR doesn't make you forget, or render you amnesiac, about anything in our world. So if you spend five or six hours in the VR, you'll generally know you should be logging off and checking up on yourself.

Presumably you'd want to come out before you dehydrated or something.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-04-2022 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Looking at the mansion right now. Free food forever, can probably donate some of that as well. Travel without using gas, safe place to go when I travel (and free!). Yeah, good with this. Keep our apartment for internet.

Would have gone for the money, but using 90% of it to try to fix people’s problems now doesn’t change that it probably came from sources i do not like, with a history I do not like. Bleah.
    Sorry, see the edit. I meant that if you, yourself, move around in the real world, you can dissolve the former gate and create a new one and enter the same mansion.

But your stuff and other people would be ferried.

My bad.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-04-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Money or Guardian Angel seems of the most use to me right now. I live in a third world country, and 250 million dollars will go much much farther here than most places.
    $250 million goes pretty far anywhere on earth! And that's only your inheritance at age eighteen. If you're older, interest and investments will have been accruing.

So if you're 35, 40 or 50, you could be a billionaire by now.

No need to know anything about investments. Your family has experts and agents and lawyers and connections and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Plot Gods offer you a choice between one off these four life modifications:

• Old Money: A Mandela effect takes place. Your parents and grandparents are still yours, wife and children, etc, but you had ancestors that were either 19th century robber barons, or aristocrats, or both. You recall being raised in high society, hobnobbing with kings and Rockefellers. When you reach(ed) eighteen, you receive(d) a trust fund of at least $250 million, possibly more. You can still recall the defunct timeline.

• Guardian Angel: You get a guardian angel. He’s invisible, intangible, and rarely communicates. But he does act to prevent various disasters, like auto collisions, slipping on ice, shooing muggers away, healing you if you get badly ill/injured, and other such feats. He may occasionally warn you not to do something that will turn out badly. You cannot command him; he acts at his own discretion.

• Mage’s Magnificent Mansion: You can cast this at will as a 20th-level mage, as the 3.5 D&D spell, no limit to duration. If you want the invisible gate to open at a new location, the Mansion moves to accommodate you. If you want, you can accelerate the time frame within the Mansion so that it moves 100x faster than outside time (can reset to normal time frame at will). Possessions remain safely stored within the mansion even if you temporarily "uncast" the spell.

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. I meant that if you're outside the mansion, you can recreate a new entrance (the old one is rendered defunct). Sorry, it's not a teleporter for you, yourself, although you could ferry people and possessions inside it.

• Virtual Reality: You get an aviator's cap with goggles (looking very much like Snoopy the Dog’s, lol). When you place the goggles over your eyes, you get immersed in a virtual reality as realistic as that of the Matrix film. Place the cap on your head, speak the scenario you desire, and then lower the goggles, and that’s the program you’re in. If you die in the scenario it's all good; it's just a program, you're still fine in real life.

If you want to opt out, the Plot Gods give you the consolation prize of a purple poker chip. You can use this to get out of any one traffic violation. So, if you get, say, a parking ticket, use the chip and it goes away (so does the chip).
    Taking a look at this

Old Money: Probably easiest for me on a material level, but I don't want that background tbh.
    Guardian Angel: I'm not in a position that I'd run into trouble that he'd need to intervene that often.
    Mage's Mansion: Probably the one I'd do. I don't know what the spell entails though without a description, but a mansion I can put things in/myself sounds interesting.

Edit: Yeah this is definitely the way. Free housing/safe zone/food and no noise requirements? You would have to be blessed to get that.

VR: I already have too much distractions from Real Life. No.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Don't really need more money, so that one is right out.

VR is supremely uninteresting. My imagination is better than any VR, even SciFi VR, unless it's actually the real, complete with tangible effects.

Mage's Mansion seems like easy free instant super travel complete with accommodations for me and a bunch of friends/family. That is probably the winner.

Guardian Angel is cool, notably because I do like to do a number of dangerous things, and the description is pretty broad about what it takes care of. If I slip free soloing Half Dome's NW face, does it save me? BASE jumping and wingsuiting become risk free? Paddling into Nazarι swell is a doddle? Injuries like blown tendons, torn muscles, crushed bones and whatever become momentary inconveniences? Man, that's hard to pass up.

Buuuuut... the free super luxury stay and free instant travel to anywhere I want to go with a bunch of people I care about sure sounds incredible. Mage's Mansion it is.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan