Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham Knights

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Okay, why didn't CW use him?
    This is just a supposition, but maybe they didn't want to feel beholden to the source material and they have their own ideas of where they want to take the character without people bitching about how "this isn't the character from the comics." Comic book fans seem to have this assumption that the priority is to adapt as many comic book characters as you can, but that could be backwards thinking from a writer's perspective. It's one thing for them to do a little fan service by retroactively slotting in a comics character for a villain of the week who fits a character they've already envisioned, but when you're building a new show, I imagine you have to feel invested in the characters you're writing and maybe they just didn't feel inspired by Duke, so why force him into a role that wasn't meant for him? Also, there's the possibility there are other plans for him.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-22-2022 at 05:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is just a supposition, but maybe they didn't want to feel beholden to the source material and they have their own ideas of where they want to take the character without people bitching about how "this isn't the character from the comics." Comic book fans seem to have this assumption that the priority is to adapt as many comic book characters as you can, but that could be backwards thinking from a writer's perspective. It's one thing for them to do a little fan service by retroactively slotting in a comics character for a villain of the week who fits a character they've already envisioned, but when you're building a new show, I imagine you have to feel invested in the characters you're writing and maybe they just didn't feel inspired by Duke, so why force him into a role that wasn't meant for him? Also, there's the possibility there are other plans for him.
    The supposition can make sense in the singular case, but clearly doesn’t apply to the other characters, who have the names and likely some inspiration from the source material, so it makes Turner an anomaly…

…And I honestly think it’s more likely that they envision the character and his role in the show - as Bruce’s heir and likely as the main protagonist and central angle to at least one love triangle - as a pale, pretty white boy, simply because that’s the “conventional” choice, so Duke was likely never on the table for that role because he’s black. I think they have a formulation they value for the male lead of the show more than either exploiting a previously created IP or more possible representation that could come with it.

I mean, I doubt that the character is going to be that different from the other white Robins, at least not to any degree that won’t be matched by Duella, Stephanie, Harper, etc.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well, they already did Ryan Wilder, what's another OC lead ?

Mighty Member

Well, this is...a show.

I dunno, this feels like a step back from the Arrowverse? Scaled things back, barely any real, legitimate, costumes, feels more like a Smallville-esque take on Batman than a proper Superhero show, questionable character choices, no recognizable villains other than a non-Two Face Harvey Dent...and anchored by some original character.

I guess they're skipping straight from Ward to full on adopted kid who thinks Bruce Wayne is his dad. Pretty good for an OC .

So we don't get a Bruce Wayne actor but we get a dramatic portrait and a Bat-Corpse...oh yeah, I guess everyone knows Bruce Wayne was Batman now.

Duela feels like discount Alice from Batwoman.

Harper and Cullen are criminals? Jeez.

So they're not going to give Carrie an outright Robin costume or even outright call her Robin...Ugh, this feels so low-effort.

Looks like Steph goes to high school with Turner and that's how she gets involved? She seems like the obvious love interest (and fooling around).

I liked to hope the show picks up when they get to the Batcave, but I have no reason to expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, this is...a show.

I dunno, this feels like a step back from the Arrowverse? Scaled things back, barely any real, legitimate, costumes, feels more like a Smallville-esque take on Batman than a proper Superhero show, questionable character choices, no recognizable villains other than a non-Two Face Harvey Dent...and anchored by some original character.

I guess they're skipping straight from Ward to full on adopted kid who thinks Bruce Wayne is his dad. Pretty good for an OC .

So we don't get a Bruce Wayne actor but we get a dramatic portrait and a Bat-Corpse...oh yeah, I guess everyone knows Bruce Wayne was Batman now.

Duela feels like discount Alice from Batwoman.

Harper and Cullen are criminals? Jeez.

So they're not going to give Carrie an outright Robin costume or even outright call her Robin...Ugh, this feels so low-effort.

Looks like Steph goes to high school with Turner and that's how she gets involved? She seems like the obvious love interest (and fooling around).

I liked to hope the show picks up when they get to the Batcave, but I have no reason to expect that.
    Yeah, this feels like a Smallville-era show. Actually, this feels more like Birds of Prey to me.

I had hoped the image we got before meant that they had the cast, but they hadn't filmed anything and so hadn't finalized the costumes. Instead, it looks like we went back to 'No flights, no tights.'

Calling it now- Harvey killed Batman and is setting up the kids with a bunch of dirty cops. Makes me wonder where Gordon is.

Honestly, this looks terrible. And by this point, it's beyond annoying that we can't just get a pure Batman show on TV. Warner Brothers really needs to get those rights sorted out.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Nothing I saw in that trailer showed me why this needed to be a Batman show. This is a hard pass.

Astonishing Member

This looks worse than that Birds of Prey show that was set in the future....

My first thought was, that this seemed Very CW, almost to the point of being a parody.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Yeah, this feels like a Smallville-era show.
    Early Smallville, back when they were trying as hard as they could not to actually have any costumes.

This is a Batman show without Batman, superheroes, villains, costumes in general, or anything Batman related other than a few names. I'm not sure why this exists. This is like Halle Berry Catwoman levels of comic adaption.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    My first thought was, that this seemed Very CW, almost to the point of being a parody.

Early Smallville, back when they were trying as hard as they could not to actually have any costumes.

This is a Batman show without Batman, superheroes, villains, costumes in general, or anything Batman related other than a few names. I'm not sure why this exists. This is like Halle Berry Catwoman levels of comic adaption.
    At least Gotham served as a precursor and set up to how Batman's Gotham (one version, at least) came to be. And it had Bruce Wayne. This, this I don't even know anymore.

It looks interesting at least.

Mighty Member

Oh good lord. The concept always sound dodgy, but the execution? AWFUL.

Nothing about this looks good. Not one single element. Easiest pass in a long time.

Anyone remember when the CW's DC properties used to be good? Or at least entertaining? How did they fall to this dreck?

Ugh.....I mean, Batwoman had it's issues, but losing it for THIS?
    This really looks like a throwback of 15 years or so, in terms of Superhero Show quality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wow, how...utterly generic.

Is Steph even in this? Is she not blonde ?
    I can't get behind a Carrie Kelly who looks nothing like the comic book version, but these days -- actors rarely resemble the characters they play. Maybe the CW should just stick to young adult drama and forget the super-heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Yeah, this feels like a Smallville-era show. Actually, this feels more like Birds of Prey to me.
    Except that at least BOP had Dina Meyer as Oracle (and one episode as Batgirl!). These pre-Batman and post-Batman Gotham City things must appeal to someone, but I'm not one of them. Actually, a Batman Family show without Batman would be okay, but this isn't it.