Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reacher

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I am a huge fan of the first Jack Reacher with Cruise, I will watch the hell out of it anytime I see it on TV and will fire it up on Prime here and there. No so much a fan of the second. People crap on him cuz he wasn't a giant like in the books, but I still love the movie.

HUGE Ritchson fan for many years so I was glad to see him get the role. I enjoyed the season, nice brief season that it was and look forward to the second season.

Need to read some more Reacher books as well, only one I have read is Tripwire.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Neagley wasn't even in Killing Floor. So I was surprised that they managed to work her in there. She has been in a number of other books though. Major Turner was a character who has also appeared in a few novels (brief phone calls in the novels leading up to Never Go Back.
    Maybe it was to make up for not showing up in the first movie, lol.

I read a few books, but was Neagley African American in them? I never pay enough attention to descriptions, though I always saw her as Gina Torres in my head, heh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Maybe it was to make up for not showing up in the first movie, lol.

I read a few books, but was Neagley African American in them? I never pay enough attention to descriptions, though I always saw her as Gina Torres in my head, heh.
    She wasn't in One Shot. She was mentioned in Never Go Back. But she is supposedly going to pop up every series and I guess it helps expedite investigations given she has access to information Reacher doesn't.

From memory? No. I don't think she was African American. She really only got a brief physical description and most of her history is usually only mentioned when Reacher brings up the 110th.

In the end I don't think it really matters. There were a number of deviations from the novel. But most of them were superficial and didn't significantly change the plot. All the beats played out in a similar fashion. All I remember is Neagley had dark hair and eyes. So, in that respect, it can be considered faithful.

Hahaha!

Reacher is the epitome of masculinity. It's why he is 6'5, weighs 250lb, and beds women in every book. The dude is a force of nature with a keen brain between his ears. "Women want to be with him and men want to be like him" is a quote someone said about the character once. So whoever wrote that review totally missed the point.
    I thought that was Ric Flair?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Reacher, being a trained soldier, and having access to all the long arms from the office - chooses to take a handgun with no extra ammo to the fight. That made little sense.

Similarly, Roscoe had chances to pick up some more firepower and passed on that. Finlay was sensible with a long arm and back up handgun.
    Thinking back to all of the action movies of the 80s, from what I remember it was very rare for the hero to pick up fallen weapons. Usually they were either carrying an arsenal, or their guns had those magic clips that never ran out of ammo until the plot demanded it.

Watched the first four episodes tonight, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this series. Glad to hear it was picked up for a season 2.

Ultimate Member

She wasn't in One Shot. She was mentioned in Never Go Back. But she is supposedly going to pop up every series and I guess it helps expedite investigations given she has access to information Reacher doesn't.

From memory? No. I don't think she was African American. She really only got a brief physical description and most of her history is usually only mentioned when Reacher brings up the 110th.

In the end I don't think it really matters. There were a number of deviations from the novel. But most of them were superficial and didn't significantly change the plot. All the beats played out in a similar fashion. All I remember is Neagley had dark hair and eyes. So, in that respect, it can be considered faithful.
    I'm pretty sure she was in One Shot. She showed up to testify under oath that James Barr totally wasn't a war criminal, honest, and then go back to her posting. I can see why they didn't keep that in the movie, heh

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I thought that was Ric Flair?
    haha. Now I am imagining the entire show with Alan replaced with Ric Flair.

Thinking back to all of the action movies of the 80s, from what I remember it was very rare for the hero to pick up fallen weapons. Usually they were either carrying an arsenal, or their guns had those magic clips that never ran out of ammo until the plot demanded it.

Watched the first four episodes tonight, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this series. Glad to hear it was picked up for a season 2.
    Reacher usually does take his enemies weapons in the novels. Takes their cash too. Sometimes he keeps their phones, but often he usually tosses the battery down a drain and disposes of the actual phone elsewhere outside search perimeters.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Over the past 2 days I've watched all of season 1 of Reacher.

Grade: A-

Highly recommend. Glad to know S2 is already in the works.

My first exposure to the character was the Cruise film and its followup. I've yet to read one of the books so my appreciation comes from the portrayal of Tom Cruise first. I understand book fans did not like the smaller statured Cruise in the role. I had no such qualms, I just enjoyed a well written and acted action film. I'd actually like a third Cruise as Reacher film but I'm likely in a minority on that one.
    For comparison sake I feel that Ritchison portrayed and conveyed the same stoic strength as Cruise. It seems if that is an element of the character on the written page then both captured that.

My recent exposure to him in Titans made me like him. I did not know he was Raphael in TMNT but looking at his IMDB did have that "ah ha" moment when I realized he was in Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Did not realize he is 40, looks younger than that.

I like that Findley was played by Malcolm Goodwin and the actor got to play his Detetive character different here than he did as Clive on iZombie. Both characters have that business/by the book groove to them but Clive could be more humorous, especially as iZombie went on. Findley is more sullen, with his wifes death and is only looking to do the work...by the book. Reacher not so much.

I appreciate that they made, adapted well?, Roscoe with the Napoleon complex of "I am competent and can take care of myself". Was she a smaller statured woman in the book (which one) that this season was adapted from? She was pissed when Reacher sent her one way, coming out of his brothers hotel, and they were ambushed by the Venezuelans and Reacher drew them towards him.

I did think we were just going to go through the motions of gathering evidence to bring down Boss Hogg (Kliner Sr.) but plot twist. That said the portrayal of Jr. was grating. I guess as a priviledged son of wealth whose never faced any real obstacles his bravado and posturing just felt soooo bad. He should've fallen after Reacher punched him once let alone twice. I didn't buy that final fight, even with the ax. That headbutt should've taken him out. His bragging about what he'd done to get to this point of "success" was too mustache twirling for me.

Nice to also see Kristen Kruek and Bruce McGill again.

Ready for Season 2!!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Season 2 is almost here!!!

"Reacher Season 2 premieres on Prime Video on December 15th."

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/reacher-...-2-watch-plan/
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Season 2 is almost here!!!

"Reacher Season 2 premieres on Prime Video on December 15th."

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/reacher-...-2-watch-plan/
    Awesome! This was a really fun show, and Alan Ritchson was pretty amazing in it. The only downside to this is that I don't expect to see Finlay or Roscoe again. Both were great characters!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Awesome! This was a really fun show, and Alan Ritchson was pretty amazing in it. The only downside to this is that I don't expect to see Finlay or Roscoe again. Both were great characters!
    Yeah, I'll miss 'em too, but at least we get Reacher himself.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'll be watching this sometime in January or early February after all episodes have dropped.
    I don't do week-to-week, scheduling my life by episode drops. It is not 1995 or even 2005.
    I'm frankly amazed at folks who still do.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Niffleheim

Season 3 now in production, Prime Video has announced it will be based on: Persuader, the 7th novel in the series

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news...vel-confirmed/
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Question, how many of the Reacher books are 1st person?

Anyway, no one wanted to talk about Season 2? I thought it was pretty good, though I think I prefer season 1 SLIGHTLY more, just slightly.

I'm glad Finlay had a cameo, but I guess they couldn't work in Roscoe in a way that made sense.

No real complaints, though I wonder if Robert Patrick will only ever play a villain until the day he dies at this point.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

Anyway, no one wanted to talk about Season 2? I thought it was pretty good, though I think I prefer season 1 SLIGHTLY more, just slightly.

I'm glad Finlay had a cameo, but I guess they couldn't work in Roscoe in a way that made sense.

No real complaints, though I wonder if Robert Patrick will only ever play a villain until the day he dies at this point.
    I enjoyed it a lot, but like you, preferred S1 a bit. One thing I did like better was the comeuppance for Patrick's villain was somewhat more satisfying the S1's spoiled bro villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

He played a good guy for four seasons on Scorpion.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.